01-25-2013

Germany

8 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 1 of 5

X230i How to Backup recovery partition?

2013-01-25, 23:03 PM

I bought a new x230i but I would like to install a new OS rather than using the pre-installed one. How can I backup those ThinkVantage tools, drivers, OS, etc first? I assume its all on the recovery partition, correct?

Options

8 Posts

01-23-2013

USA

15 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: X230i How to Backup recovery partition?

2013-01-26, 3:25 AM

There is a link on the ThinkVantage Tools named Factory Recovery Disks.  It lets you make one (and only one) copy of the recovery disk.  I messed up and created it on a SDCard which I found out isn't bootable so be carefull :-).  I believe it can copy to DVD disks and you can also use a USB Stick.  I found that 16gig is needed but it might be different for your system.  I ended up having to call support for replacement recovery disks because I messed up my one and only chance.

Options

8076 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77124 Signins

2181459 Page Views

• Views: 2181459
  • Message 3 of 5

2013-01-26, 6:00 AM

If it's a Windows 8 machine, the only option for factory recovery media is a 16G USB flash drive:

Methodology to create Recovery Media and reload a Lenovo system with Microsoft Windows 8 preload

If it is running Windows 7, use Rescue and Recovery to create USB or DVD media.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

8 Posts

01-25-2013

Germany

8 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 4 of 5

2013-01-26, 12:35 PM

It's a Win8 machine and I would like to run Win7. I actually don't mind losing the Win8 OS files, but it would be nice to have. I am more concerned about drivers, patched, ThinkVantage tools, etc. 

Would it be possible to get a DVD from Lenovo support so I can just format everything and install the new OS?

Options

8076 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77124 Signins

2181459 Page Views

• Views: 2181459
  • Message 5 of 5

2013-01-26, 16:41 PM

wrote:

There is a link on the ThinkVantage Tools named Factory Recovery Disks.  It lets you make one (and only one) copy of the recovery disk.  I messed up and created it on a SDCard which I found out isn't bootable so be carefull :-).  I believe it can copy to DVD disks and you can also use a USB Stick.  I found that 16gig is needed but it might be different for your system.  I ended up having to call support for replacement recovery disks because I messed up my one and only chance.

Hey,

Do you still have that SDCard with the non-booting recovery image on it?

Something I'd try if I had one of those and a spare 16G (or 8g?) USB flash drive:  prepare the flash drive per the link below, then simply copy the contents of the SDCard to it.  Make hidden stuff visible first.  Not sure that's necessary, but just in case...

New or used USB memory keys or USB flash drives require an active partition created from within Wind...

This has worked for USB flash to USB flash to rescue an improperly formatted flash drive. It just might work in your case.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete