Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KevinAbel
Paper Tape
Views: 895
Message 1 of 13

X240 Broadband not working on Mint

So, i bought the laptop just for the size, and the Mobile Broadband function.

Don't need windows, so i installed Linux. (mint)

It recognizes the sim card as it asks for the pin. When i fill that in, i try and make a new connection, but it then says connection failed. When i check the log file it says:

Dec  9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <info> Activation (cdc-wdm3) starting connection 'KPN NL connection'
Dec  9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <info> (cdc-wdm3): device state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none') [30 40 0]
Dec  9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <info> Activation (cdc-wdm3) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
Dec  9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <info> Activation (cdc-wdm3) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
Dec  9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <info> Activation (cdc-wdm3) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
Dec  9 09:48:27 mint ModemManager[1449]: <info>  Simple connect started...
Dec  9 09:48:27 mint ModemManager[1449]: <info>  Simple connect state (4/8): Wait to get fully enabled
Dec  9 09:48:27 mint ModemManager[1449]: <info>  Simple connect state (5/8): Register
Dec  9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <warn> (cdc-wdm3) failed to connect modem: Network timeout
Dec  9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <info> (cdc-wdm3): device state change: prepare -> failed (reason 'gsm-registration-timeout') [40 120 32]
Dec  9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <warn> Activation (cdc-wdm3) failed for connection 'KPN NL connection'
Dec  9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <info> (cdc-wdm3): device state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none') [120 30 0]
Dec  9 09:48:27 mint NetworkManager[1686]: <info> (cdc-wdm3): deactivating device (reason 'none') [0]

Whatever i try, it does not seem to work.

In windows i had the same problem, but i installed Linux becuase i have got work to do.

Could anybody help me with this?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 894
Message 2 of 13

Re: X240 Broadband not working on Mint

Welcome to the forum, KevinAbel

I don't know anything about Linux. But, as you've said about similar problem in the Windows, what are the wwan card's IDs? Any chance it's in the flash mode (i.e.the only port for flasing is opened)?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

KevinAbel
Paper Tape
Views: 891
Message 3 of 13

I am currently installing windows 8 pro again to test it all out again. Any idea where i should look for card id's?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 876
Message 4 of 13

Device Manager - right click on the device related - Details tab - Option list - Hardware ID. The value will be in the field below, copy-past the 1st string.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

KevinAbel
Paper Tape
Views: 875
Message 5 of 13

USB\VID_08DB&PID_193E&REV_0000
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 861
Message 6 of 13

It seems there is a typo - VID should be 0BDB, not 08DB. Otherwise laptop will not boot up.

Anyway, PID looks correct.

Firstly, check out wwan card firmware, if it's outdated modem won't work under win8 (there are some troubles in MBN features). I think the same issue, conflict between MBIM and NCM protocols implemenation, for instanse, is under Linux. The recent fw is on the Lenovo support site.

KevinAbel
Paper Tape
Views: 857
Message 7 of 13

I have updated my firmware.

In windows, i installed the driver i get from the driver page on the lenovo website. When i connect it asks for a pin, then it says connecting... after that it says(have to translate) The device cannot register at the network, please try again or contact your provider.

I have contacted them, and they suggest using a kpn software in windows,they do not give support on linux. But if i wanted to run windows, i would have bought a bigger laptop with sim support. So i still have nothing...
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 847
Message 8 of 13

What is the operator and network you are connecting to?
Any chance default APN setting, operator needs, differs from the Windows default?

Some time ago there was a case, your countryman had operator with specific SIM card range that needs special APN settings. I've spent a lot of time to convince him to change default setting according to the manual I've provided him.

Check out Windows connection settings and compare ones operator needs. Or we'll do it together.

Do not use any connection managers to troubleshoot, they interfere.

KevinAbel
Paper Tape
Views: 843
Message 9 of 13

It auto connects to kpn.

No idea where i can set the apn manually in windows.

We can do it together. No idea how, but im sure you can guide me with that.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 835
Message 10 of 13

Let's do it.

As I assumed, thre are several APN values your operator uses. Specific setting depend on the network type, SIM card, tariff plan (contract) you are subscribed. Possible values for KPN are (the list might be not full):
internet
basicinternet
fastinternet
portalmmm.nl
prepaidinternet
iphonekpn.nl

Moreover, some tariffs (contracts) need username and password settings.

So, to specify APN setting:
1. contact operator's support team, provide them information about your contract (SIM card, tariff), do not explain about "troubles" in the Lenovo laptop (it'll not helpful), request APN setting
2. or navigate KPN web site. As an example:
https://www.kpn.com/prive/mobiel/service/installeren-gebruiken/apn-instellingen.htm

To understand where APN setting (and another broadband ones) is stored in the Windows 8 UI, read the page:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/mobile-broadband-from-start-to-finish

Regarding the Linux you should set similar settings as the connection profile isn't being stored in the modem NVRAM, except of the default network type (i.e.GPRS, UMTS etc.)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors