Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eyeP
Paper Tape
Views: 50,385
Message 1 of 28

X240 End/Insert Fn key woes

Enjoying q new X240, despite some misgivings about keyboard layout. But there is one showstopper here: as a programmer, I rely heavily on "function" keys, arrow keys, and the (now redistributed) Home/End, Pg Up/Down, and Delete keys. The one I have absolutely never relied on of that old-world six-key configuration is INSERT. A virtually useless key, as far as I'm concerned.

So, fine: by default, the X240 gives preference to a lot of non-Fn keys that I don't care about. Easy enough, toggle-lock Fn on, using Fn+ESC. But alas, some designer at Lenovo who doesn't know how actual keyboard users work has gone and put "Insert" as the Fn version of End. Hmmmm. The Fn version of Home is (wait for it) Home. Delete is Delete. Pg Up and Pg Down, check. The Fn version of End is........ INSERT?

So now I'm stopping my work constantly, trying to remember how to get to the end of a line (or block, or file, or whatever), or going back to un-overtype stuff I never meant to overtype in the first place.

While I realize it will take another decade or two for some smart manufacturer to build a laptop keyboard that actually caters to people who really use keyboards, patience aside, I'd call this a very poor decision. At the very least, it's a dealbreaker: here I find myself with what is supposed to be the latest/greatest Lenovo, and I can't get my work done without a lot of extra keyboard "shortcut" hassle.

Please, please, tell me how to turn this off, permanently. Give me back an End key, and only an End key, without forcing me out of productive use of this machine.

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 50,196
Message 2 of 28

Re: X240 End/Insert Fn key woes

The same "feature" is for Helix http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/Helix-End-Insert-keys-swapped/td-p/1130...

I share your frustration. I guess you should return it because this is "basic functionality failure" or try the keyboard mapping tweaks described in discussion on the link.

What's DOS?
Views: 50,116
Message 3 of 28

If you truly don't need the Insert key and you're running Windows, you can redefine that via Windows registry settings:

http://www.merawindows.com/Forums/tabid/324/forumid/15/threadid/40365/scope/posts/Default.aspx

I had bookmarked the above. Not sure how directly on the nose it is for what you want. I'm doing this in Windows 7 with a different laptop / different keys. If you don't want to bother with the technical details, there are tools which will edit the registry for you. They should give you a nice user interface for the above (I haven't tested any of them). Another tool that is a bit more general is called AutoHotKeys. That would have to keep running in the system tray though.

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 49,958
Message 4 of 28

Note that remaping keys might also affect external keyboard behavior. It is not a solution, Lenovo have to fix that.

Blue Screen Again
Views: 49,892
Message 5 of 28

You know the irony of this? It is that it's people like the original poster who see Insert as a "useless key" that led the geniuses in the keyboard department to view this as yet another key that can be eliminated to make the keyboard more "sexy-looking". It's hardly used, so we can just assign it as a secondary function, right? Except, oops, we implemented it poorly, and now you cannot use standard function keys and the far more useful End key at the same time. Smiley Happy

eyeP
Paper Tape
Views: 49,836
Message 6 of 28

@dr_st wrote:

You know the irony of this? It is that it's people like the original poster who see Insert as a "useless key" that led the geniuses in the keyboard department to view this as yet another key that can be eliminated to make the keyboard more "sexy-looking". It's hardly used, so we can just assign it as a secondary function, right? Except, oops, we implemented it poorly, and now you cannot use standard function keys and the far more useful End key at the same time. Smiley Happy

Meh, you can try to pin this one on "people like me", but that's misguided and helps no one. I "upgraded" from an X201, which had the full/original/real-keyboard 6-key layout for these special keys, which I vastly prefer. In fact, so far, and almost across the board, my X201 leaves this upgrade in the dust.

Redesigning keyboards is never done for the benefit of hardcore users. Get a real argument. 

dr_st
Blue Screen Again
Views: 49,825
Message 7 of 28

I'm not blaming it on you. I just found it ironic. Smiley Happy

Apologies if it felt like I was attacking you. I am on your side. Like you, I hate the changes to the keyboard. I hated them enough on the X230, that I simply lost interest. To you, the clumsy implementation of the Ins/End shared key on the X240 is a dealbreaker. Do me the dealbreaker happened on the previous redesign, so this one makes no difference to me.

eyeP
Paper Tape
Views: 49,484
Message 8 of 28

@F184A wrote:

If you truly don't need the Insert key and you're running Windows, you can redefine that via Windows registry settings:

http://www.merawindows.com/Forums/tabid/324/forumid/15/threadid/40365/scope/posts/Default.aspx

I had bookmarked the above. Not sure how directly on the nose it is for what you want. I'm doing this in Windows 7 with a different laptop / different keys. If you don't want to bother with the technical details, there are tools which will edit the registry for you. They should give you a nice user interface for the above (I haven't tested any of them). Another tool that is a bit more general is called AutoHotKeys. That would have to keep running in the system tray though.

I ended up doing this, using SharpKeys, which is one of those tools you mention, very simple to use (and to undo what has been done).

It is ridiculous to have to go to such lengths to make up for a manufacturer's idiotic design choice, but there you have it. Now if there were just a way to put PgUp and PgDn back in a usable place (instead of next to the arrow keys where they get hit all the time accidentally, which is why those used to be in an isolated T), restore the context-menu key (especially since the touchpad/button combo is a complete disaster), separate the Fn keys into proper blocks of 4, and make them big enough to use with human fingers, an actual keyboard user could actually start to use this otherwise powerful device, and we would be back within a lightyear or two of my unquestionably superior (needed a few weeks' testing to confirm) 2010 X201. Progress!

What a paperweight. After 15 years plus, this is my last ThinkPad, and my next laptop will be purchased much sooner than expected. I wish someone from Lenovo were listening, but if they weren't paying attention at design-time, they're hardly likely to be now.

wkearney99
Serial Port
Views: 49,407
Message 9 of 28

FWIW, it's the keyboard layout changes that are keeping me from buying the new X240. You'd think Lenovo would stick with the incredible loyalty they'd built up with keyboard quality... but noooooo.
RichardW
802.11n
Views: 49,065
Message 10 of 28

And you thought you hated the X240 keyboard. Look at the "adaptive keyboard" on the new X1 Carbon just announced at CES. Gotta innovate for the post PC era. That pesky Fn key row is so 90's.

newX1Carbon.JPG

In action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgkB6T6LrhQ

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors