Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jul3s
Paper Tape
Views: 2,186
Message 1 of 5

X240 Fn-Key not responding

Hi,

I have the following problem. The 'Fn' key is not working. When I press 'Fn+Esc' to enable the FnLock, nothing happens. But when I switch the 'Fn' and 'CTRL' key in the BIOS, I can press 'Ctrl+Esc' to enable the lock (small green LED on the 'Fn' key is on). But then the 'CTRL' functionality (now on the 'Fn' key) is not working anymore. The shop where I ordered the Laptop already replaced the keyboard but this didn't help. Does anybody have the same problem and can help me?

Thank you.

Additional information:

- I ordered the Laptop in Germany, but with an US keyboard layout (the Shop replaced the german keyboard with an english one)

- I updated the BIOS when I received the Laptop (below the BIOS information):

BIOS Information
    Vendor: LENOVO
    Version: GIET72WW (2.22 )
    Release Date: 03/25/2014
    Address: 0xE0000
    Runtime Size: 128 kB
    ROM Size: 16384 kB
    Characteristics:
        PCI is supported
        PNP is supported
        BIOS is upgradeable
        BIOS shadowing is allowed
        Boot from CD is supported
        Selectable boot is supported
        ACPI is supported
        USB legacy is supported
        BIOS boot specification is supported
        Targeted content distribution is supported
        UEFI is supported
    BIOS Revision: 2.22
    Firmware Revision: 1.12

idoangel
Punch Card
Views: 1,985
Message 2 of 5

Re: X240 Fn-Key not responding

exact same problem here. waiting for an answer, because it kinda sucks.

idoangel
Punch Card
Views: 1,925
Message 3 of 5

update: they haven't found out what the problem was. they're replacing the laptop with a new one.

tomlaulau
Paper Tape
Views: 1,536
Message 4 of 5

I have this problem now just after installing a new keyboard. I ordered this keyboard from Lenovo as a genuine product and everything is working except for the Fn key. Not happy considering I have waited for over a month for the keyboard to arrive.

jursky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 179
Message 5 of 5

Hello, I know I am 3 years (or 4?) late here but I still want to ask - did you or anybody else ever find a solution for this? I just recently replaced keyboard from small ENTER version to large ENTER version on my second hand x240 a the FN key stopped working. I originally thought that it was because of broken touchpad+fingerprint flex cable but I got a new one, replaced it and although touchpad+fingerprint sensor started working, FN key still does not work. I am kinda desperate because using a notebook without FN keys is like being without one hand. Furthermore I don't want to sacrifice left CTRL using Bios switch just to have FN keys functionality back as I frequently use the left CTRL key; I simply need all keys available on keyboard. Also I don't believe that it must be H/W related because small green LED on the FN key lights on while notebook boots (shows Lenovo logo) and also the FN key does not work on old keyboard as well, when I switch it back. This is really frustrating. Smiley Sad

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors