Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackson85
Paper Tape
Views: 168
Message 1 of 3

X240 not recognising battery

Hi folks,

I have an X240 that just ran out of warranty. I was having some intermittent hard drive troubles so I sent it in before the end of the warranty, and it came back with a new hard drive. Unfortunately, it no longer recognises my external batteries - I have two, both genuine Lenovo, one 68 and one 68+. Lenovo won't fix it as they say it's related to the battery latch being broken, but the battery latch has been broken for a whole year and the batteries always worked just fine.

When I first got the computer back the batteires weren't showing up in Windows power manager, but I could see them in Lenovo Settings where they were showing as "good" condition. The 68+ had 5% charge and the 68 had about 80% charge.  I did a heap of Windows updates etc. which didn't fix it, then tried to "reset" the 68+ through Lenovo Settings, after which it stopped showing up there at all. I now get a message about a battery error when I boot to Windows. I haven't put the 68 back in for while, though I guess I could to see if it still shows up.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas why the computer might have suddenly stopped recognising the batteries, and anything I can try to try to get my battery life back (going from about 10 hours to about 1 hour makes the computer kind of useless for what I use it for). As I said, I'd be very surprised if it was to do with the latch, as that's been the same for ages.

Thanks in advance

jackson85
Paper Tape
Views: 91
Message 2 of 3

Re: X240 not recognising battery

*hopeful bump*

Anyone got any ideas? I have upgraded to Windows 10 and Lenovo Vantage and put the 68 (original removable battery that came with the PC) back in, and its status shows as "error" under power status and "no activity" under battery gauge reset.

jackson85
Paper Tape
Views: 71
Message 3 of 3

Re: X240 not recognising battery

I've established that it's nothing to do with the batteries. My batteries work fine in another machine, and a good battery from another computer still shows as "error" in mine. Argh!

Top Kudoed Authors