Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pvila
Paper Tape
Views: 3,384
Message 1 of 11

X250 Battery 1 "is not available for use"

Hi,

I just bought a X250 today. I received it with Windows 7 Pro, and the first thing I did was upgrade it to Windows 10. After an hour of use, I noticed that the battery was draining really fast. I clicked in the battery icon on the system tray and noticed that it says:

Battery 1: This battery is not available for use

Battery 2: 40% (or whatever)

I opened Device Manager and I see two devices listed under the "batteries" section, both of them called "Battery with Microsoft ACPI-compliant control method" (translating from Spanish, which is my system language, so it might not be exactly like this). I guess this means that the system indeed detects that there are two batteries, so it looks like a software problem. I right clicked on both of them and selected "uninstall", and then went to action > look for hardware changes, so that should refresh the driver. After doing that, the "battery 1: this battery is not available" message still appears.

I also noticed that there was a power manager application from Lenovo which is not compatible with Windows 10. After upgrading, Windows notified me that this app had been removed and I don't see a W10 equivalent on the support downloads section of the Lenovo website.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pau

pvila
Paper Tape
Views: 3,352
Message 2 of 11

Re: X250 Battery 1 "is not available for use"

I also tried unplugging the second battery (the removable one). Immediately after unplugging it, the computer shuts down. If I turn it on without the second battery and plugged into the wall outlet, the icon in the lower right corner (system tray) says "no battery found"; however, on device manager I still can see one battery appearing. If I click on "properties" in device manager, it says that the device is working correctly, and there is no sign of any error log or crash report inside the battery properties in device manager. 

I tried updating the BIOS and resetting BIOS to defaults, and it makes no difference. I also tried running Ubuntu from a USB stick ("try" option) and it only detects the second battery, not the integrated one. 

I guess it must be a hardware problem.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,349
Message 3 of 11

Look in the BIOS under config at the bottom.  Is there an option to disable built-in battery?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
pvila
Paper Tape
Views: 3,345
Message 4 of 11

Yes richk, there's an option which allows me to disable the built-in battery for service. It says that it gets enabled again automatically when plugged to AC. Should I try something with that?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,332
Message 5 of 11

I wanted to be sure it wasn't set to disabled, for some reason.  I have no other suggestions

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
pvila
Paper Tape
Views: 3,310
Message 6 of 11

I have talked with Lenovo support and they will send a technician in the upcoming days to replace the battery. This is a new laptop, so I really can't understand how this wasn't noticed in quality control. Anyway, I will post the result of the technician meeting afterwards.

Ivi982010
What's DOS?
Views: 2,892
Message 7 of 11

@pvila wrote:

I have talked with Lenovo support and they will send a technician in the upcoming days to replace the battery. This is a new laptop, so I really can't understand how this wasn't noticed in quality control. Anyway, I will post the result of the technician meeting afterwards.

Hi, I'm having the same problem with my T440, were you/they able to solve the issue?

aledgd
Paper Tape
Views: 2,864
Message 8 of 11

Hi, any news on whether it was solved?

Cheers

mouadben
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,584
Message 9 of 11

Do you have please any news about this topic, I'm facin the same issue ? How can I solve it ..

Thanks 

pvila
Paper Tape
Views: 2,573
Message 10 of 11

@mouadben, in my case there was one of the two batteries phisically missing. It turns out that some X250's made for big corporations (NOT sold separately) only have one built-in battery instead of two. There is a piece of plastic on the place where the second battery should be. However, the Lenovo technician replaced the plastic for a true battery and I could pay for the cost of the battery, which was essential to me given that with only 1 out of the 2 possible batteries it just lasts for 2 hours at most.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors