Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chenxinghao
Punch Card
Views: 1,206
Message 1 of 12

X250 Power Issue

I got this X250 (Product Number 20CMOOE5US) last week and it has this weired power issue.

When pressed the Power button, it flashed the green light 3 times and nothing happened.

Unpluged the AC adapter and removed the external battery; opened the back cover and disconnected the internal battery and the coin battery.

Connected AC adapter and pressed the emergency reset button on the back for several seconds; turned off the AC adapter power for a couple of seconds and then turned it on again. Without press the power button, the laptop came back alive with a boot screen message saying the CMOS checksum was bad and time/date need to be set. Pressed F1 key and updated time/date and then F10 key and RETURN. The laptop loaded Windows 10 with no other problem. While it is still powered on, I reconnected the internal battery and the coin battery, put the back cover on and inserted the external battery. Surfing the Internet, running Windows 10 updates and virus scan, including write this post; all without any problem, except the following:

The laptop goes back to the initial dead state again if I use the mouse to click on the "Shut down" power off option. I will need to repeat everything from the beginning - disconnect all power source (AC adapter, external and internal batterys as well as the CMOS coin battery) and use only AC adapter power with the emergency reset button, ..., get into BIOS page to update time/date, ...

This doesn't look like a motherboard failure to me. Then, I have not been able to make sense of the problem.

Please advise.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,199
Message 2 of 12

Re: X250 Power Issue

Look in the windows event log to see if a device is failing to shut down completely.  Sometimes they throw a message.  Try an Ubuntu DVD and see if shutdown followed br restart works there.  It may be the motherboard power circuitry.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
chenxinghao
Punch Card
Views: 1,192
Message 3 of 12

There are many error and warning messages in the event log with which I am unable to make sense out of.

One warning is on "User Device Registration"  because the i7 CPU has this mark i7-5###U in the System Info. My attempt with Lenovo Vantage System Update utility to update the BIOS was not successful - summaried in a separate post at https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X250-BIOS-update-failed-Lenovo-Vantage/m-p/39....

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,186
Message 4 of 12

I see your other posts and responded to one about BIOS level.  This sounds like a pre-release version or engineering sample.  Can you return it to the guy you bought it from?

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

chenxinghao
Punch Card
Views: 1,180
Message 5 of 12

I bought it for a project on eBay from ID dwspiro which is listed at Beverly Hill CA. The listing says no refunds/returns. It has 100% positive with 2226 feedbacks.

In the external battery compartment, next to the S/N is this 14/07 mark - I guess this is for 2014 July? So this unit must be a production laptop.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,161
Message 6 of 12

Looking at the readme file for the x250 BIOS, the initial production version of the BIOS is 1.04 N10ET27W dated January 13, 2015.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n10ur15w.txt

chenxinghao
Punch Card
Views: 1,157
Message 7 of 12

Thanks for the input. This X250 came with 500GB HDD installed and activated with Windows 10 Enterprise, along with a SanDisk 16GB SSD unformated. It all seemed to me that this laptop had been in use before.

I checked Warranty status using Lenovo Vantage and the check ran forever.

The model code and S/N provided by Lenovo Vantage app match with those on a sticker in the external battery compartment.

I am lost here.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,142
Message 8 of 12

Hello,

It sounds like the CMOS/RTC backup battery (the coin battery) may be dead.  Have you tried replacing it with a fresh battery?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
chenxinghao
Punch Card
Views: 1,136
Message 9 of 12

No, I have not replaced the CMOS battery. I will try.

Thank you all for the inputs.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,128
Message 10 of 12

If I am correct and it is a pre-release machine, it may not be repairable without replacing the motherboard with a "real" one.

Top Kudoed Authors