Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madcynic
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,726
Message 1 of 8

X250 Sim card not recognized (again)

I have recently acquired an X250 Thinkpad for work. As said work takes me well outside of Wifi areas, I have also acquired a SIM card to use with the built-in EM7345. However, while that worked originally (I inserted the card, it was recognized, I changed the PIN), the laptop no longer recognizes the sim when inserted.

The solution suggested in another thread (enable WWAN in BIOS) does not apply to me, as it is enabled.

My SIM card works in other devices, however, different SIM cards are also not recognized. Any ideas?

I've switched the pre-installed Windows 7 for Windows 10, but the changed of PIN was already in Windows 10, so I doubt it had anything to do with that.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,718
Message 2 of 8

Re: X250 Sim card not recognized (again)

Hello

Did the wwan modem work under win7?

Could you perform some tests to make sure the system recognizes wwan card, drivers are installed, modem is powered on? Definitely, according to your post, the sim card is recognized properly.

1. Device Manager: is wwan card here (in the Network Adapters section) w/out errors and/or unknown devices or device with "1 CDC" letters in the title?

2. Open command prompt window (cmd), execute the following commands, one by one:
netsh mbn sh int
netsh mbn sh con int=*
netsh mbn sh rad int=*
netsh mbn sh vis int=*

Past the outputs here (remove Device ID for your privacy).

ps. You have written "again" in the thread title. Why "again"?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

madcynic
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,708
Message 3 of 8

Can't tell if it worked under Windows 7, as my sim card only arrived after I upgraded switched to 10. As said, it worked at one point, as I could change the pin, but after the next reboot, the sim card was gone.

To your points. 1. Yes, the card is present in the device manager, no errors.

2.  netsh mbn sh int

Name : Mobilfunk
Beschreibung : Sierra Wireless EM7345 4G LTE
GUID : {removed}
Physische Adresse : 98:8d:99:53:51:5b
Gerätetyp : In das System ist ein mobiles Breitbandgerät eingebettet.
Mobilklasse : GSM
Geräte-ID : removed

Hersteller : Sierra Wireless Inc.
Modell : Sierra Wireless EM7345 4G LTE
Firmwareversion : FIH7160_V1.1_MODEM_01.1349.12
Anbietername :
Roaming : Kein Roaming
Signal : 0%
RSSI/RSCP : 0 (-113 dBm)

netsh mbn sh con int=*

Verbindungsinformationen für die Schnittstelle Mobilfunk:
-------------------------------------
Schnittstellenstatus : Nicht verbunden
Registrierungsstatus : Unbekannt
Registrierungsmodus : Automatisch
Anrufstatus : Keine Anrufunterstützung/Kein Anruf aktiv

netsh mbn sh rad int=*

Funkstatusinformationen für die Schnittstelle Mobilfunk:
-------------------------------------
Hardwarefunkstatus : Ein
Softwarefunkstatus : Aus

netsh mbn sh vis int=*

Es wird nach verfügbaren Netzwerken gesucht. Das Gerät kann hierzu einige Minuten benötigen.
Fehler beim Durchsuchen der angegebenen Schnittstelle zum Abrufen verfügbarer Netzwerke: Fehler 0xc0040015.

P.S. I added again because there was a similar thread in the forum just two days ago where the user hadn't turned the WWAN on in BIOS.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,699
Message 4 of 8

My opinions and suggestion based on the data you have provided:

1. issue is caused by too old modem firmware. Presently the fw version in the modem is an initial one or the next upgrade dated 2014/08/25. While win10 support in the modem fw has been introduced in 2015/07/29

2. old fw causes modem can't capable to register in the home network ("Anbietername" value is empty) as well error 0xc0040015.

3. to upgrade fw you have to apply new fw & drivers package:
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/gtwo45ww.exe
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/gtwo45ww.txt (read the upgrade history)

4. As there is a lot of cases with modem manufacturer (Sierra) drivers (the latest is below)...
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T440s-Sierra-3G-not-connecting/td-p/3343...

...I'd suggest not to install Sierra drivers at this stage and use win10 built-in internal ones only (MBIM drivers). It's enough to use OS mobile broadband features and establish internet connection.

So, launch exe packsge (above), choose manual installation mode, choose flash drivers and flash tool items only, i.e.not modem drivers themself.

Once Intel flash service is installed power off laptop completely as the fw flash service works in the auto mode after laptop cold start only. Insert the sim card, power on the laptop, flash service must recognize old fw, inform you and request the upgrade.

In case the fw will not be upgraded let us know. It means the fw upgrade must be done in the manual mode with some tricks.

Also, for the further help, specify, please, cellular operator name - is it E-Plus Mobilfunk or Ring Mobilfunk.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

madcynic
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,673
Message 5 of 8

Installed the package minus the drivers. No notification on cold start, unfortunately, so I guess it's manual mode now?

My provider is O2.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,664
Message 6 of 8

Probably in your area Mobilfunk uses O2 infrastructure or/and is a MVNO.

OK.
Lets try to troubleshoot.

There are several methods to flash the modem fw:
- in the manual mode. Some tweak with fw file is needed
- in the auto mode. The simple tweak with flash settings file is needed.

There is a method for flashing in the manual mode below. For auto mode exact operator's network codes (MCC/MNC) are needed.
1. Navigate the folder where Sierra package files are stored during installation process. We need the folder with fw images. Most likely it's
...APPDATA\Intel\LENOVO MBIM Toolkit\FirmwareDatabase\PreInstalled

2. The names of subfolders with fw images within them match corresponding operators. Generic subfolder includes fw for most operators, I'm sure O2 including, at least fw FIH7160_V1.2_WW_01.1528.04_Generic.fls suitables for Vodafone Germany according to the settings file.

3. Fw flash tool needs fw image in certain format depending on the flash mode. FLS files are for auto mode, not suitable for manual mode. Launch any zip tool (like OS built-in or 7-Zip) and compress FLS image file (the name is above) and FLSInformation.xml file in the same folder into zip file, even with zero compression ratio. Then rename archive to FIH7160_V1.2_WW_01.1528.04_Generic.flz. Such FLZ images are being offered by the operators if they want to customize something in the generic image.

4. Now launch intel flash tool, navigate the folder with new flz image. The tool should check it and start to flash.

Take a note the operator's IDs at the flash tool main screen. You should see Operator name, Country code and Home Provider ID, like 26203 (it's Mobilfunk) or 26207 or 26208 (one of the O2's network in Germany). This code will be needed to perform fw upgrade in the auto mode if you afraid to perform the steps above.

madcynic
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,649
Message 7 of 8

Got the flash tool to run, but I get an error during flashing. Might have to do with it not recognizing the SIM card?

See image

.2016-06-18 13_56_14-Intel® MBIM Firmware Updater.png

madcynic
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,646
Message 8 of 8

Man, do I feel stupid now. There are three different places to turn off WWAN in Windows 10. And of course you have to check every one of them... So long story short - I can connect now, but the firmware updater nevertheless doesn't offer an update. Also, apparently it's E-plus, not o2.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors