Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexrw
Paper Tape
Views: 2,279
Message 1 of 8

X250 Trackpad Not Working After Spill

Hi all.. embarassing moment but I spilled coffee all over the keyboard/trackpad of my x250 this morning. I tried drying out the liquid and it seems to function fine except for the trackpad. The trackpad still scrolls but the buttons, both top and lower, don't function. All five mouse buttons (three upper, two lower) act as the middle mouse button. I tried reinstalling the Synaptics drivers but it didn't solve anything unfortunately. Unfortunately I am out of warranty, so any DIY suggestions would be very appreciated. Thank you!

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 2,272
Message 2 of 8

Re: X250 Trackpad Not Working After Spill

The Hardware Maintenance Manual will show you what is involved in repairing your laptop. So far as I can tell, the trackpad buttons are part of the keyboard bezel, which will involve all the disassembly shown in the keyboard replacement procedure, plus transferring any other parts mounted to the keyboard bezel which are not part of the new bezel assembly (if any). Other than leaving the lid / display panel assembly as one piece, you've pretty much got to take everything apart.

Whilst the computer is apart, I would replace the keyboard for the relatively small additional parts cost. Most of the investment here will be in paying for engineer time (or in summoning up courage for a DIY repair).

alexrw
Paper Tape
Views: 2,243
Message 3 of 8

David.. I researched on the internet but it seems the keyboard bezel is seperate from the trackpad itself. I also haven't really found any trackpad replacement parts or tutorials at all on how to replace to the trackpad.. only the keyboard. Function has returned to the right click and middle click buttons on the trackpad (before, they were both functioning as a middle button) and two finger scrolling has started to work again as well Unfortunately, the click still does not work. I am leaving the country tomorrow, so fingers crossed there will be service repair where I'm going.

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 2,237
Message 4 of 8

The pictures in Parts Lookup leave me in no doubt that the trackpad and trackpad buttons are part of the keyboard bezel FRUs. Take, for example, this picture of 00HT391, one of the keyboard bezel FRUs. This might not be the correct FRU for your machine depending on the specification. The only other option I can see is 00HT390, which includes the fingerprint reader, though I might have missed something.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,225
Message 5 of 8

David_J_W is right, the buttons are part of the keyboard bezel FRU. I installed an X250 bezel (00HT390) on my X240, to get the buttons (there are no buttons on the X240 - that's another story entirely).

Since the X240 and X250 are similar in construction you can learn a lot by searching for X240 trackpad replacement. You can even find the trackpads with buttons being sold separate from the keyboard bezel on eBay.

Words of caution: Replacing either the keyboard bezel or trackpad requires a high degree of comfort with major disassembly and reassembly of the laptop. The laptop is more or less built ON the bezel.

There is a shortcut involving popping the trackpad out of the bezel, described on the X240 here. But again be careful, that's an X240 and it's not the Lenovo procedure described in the maintenance manual.

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
alexrw
Paper Tape
Views: 2,220
Message 6 of 8

Thank you to both of you. The lower trackpad seems to function now (only by hover clicking, not actually clicking). Needless to say, I will need to replace the keyboard and the trackpad. I just hope I can find the parts in Indonesia, where I'll be moving. Since the spill included coffee, is it safe to assume I should clean the circuit board below the keyboard? I read 99% alcohol is the best way to do this...

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 2,216
Message 7 of 8

Cleaning is a trade-off; you want to clean sufficient to remove any contamination (not least to minimise future corrosion) but without causing damage. If the spilled liquid did not reach the system board, I'd leave it well alone - it's a complex high-density board that is expensive to replace.

If the spilled liquid reached the system board, you will probably need to clean it. In that case, I would get the board well away from any plastic components of the computer, then use electronic grade board cleaner (isopropyl alcohol will do) and ESD safe brushes. If your cleaning attempts go anywhere near the processor, you should probably renew any thermal grease between the processor and heatsink, as there is the possibility the cleaning solvent will partly or fully dissolve the grease. Be as gentle as you can, as it is easy to damage a track or knock a component off the board if you get too aggressive. Your aim should be to clean the smallest possible area as gently as you can consistent with removing any contamination. Make sure all the solvent has evaporated before reassembling the computer, and visually inspect the board before reassembly.

As you have already identified, it is best to fit a new keyboard as that also got wet. If you are going to strip down the machine sufficient to replace the bezel, this is straightforward: reassemble with a new keyboard in place of the one that you removed.

Take careful note of the Hardware Maintenance Manual and the cautions you have been given. If you are going to do this the 'official' way - to which there is really no alternative if you are planning to change the keyboard - it involves near total dismantling of the computer as the machine is built on the keyboard bezel.

Any DIY work is obviously at your own risk.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,207
Message 8 of 8

It is hard to diagnose without seeing it and disassembling.  The symptoms you describe involve 3 parts - the keyboard, the touchpad and the motherboard.  My best guess is that the touchpad middle button is shorted.  If it were mine, I would disconnect the touchpad cable and see if the keyboard buttons work.  The problem is that the way you take it apart is basically remove the bottom cover and keep removing things until you get to the keyboard bezel (touchpad)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors