cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wilson638
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,984
Message 1 of 29

X250: possible to have BOTH M.2 SSD and WWAN card?

Hi, I recently purchased Sierra AirPrime EM7345 for my ThinkPad X250 & when opening the chassis to find already installed in the M.2 slot was a SanDisk 16GB SSD Sata card. There was only one slot for either momery card or WWAN card, I choose to install WWAN card but would also need memory card. How to have both at the sometime? Is it possible to add another M.2 slot or will have to use an external SSD M.2? Thanks.

Moderator edit: Matched subject to content

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,980
Message 2 of 29

X250: possible to have BOTH M.2 SSD and WWAN card?

wilson638,

there is separate slot for small SSD. This laptop can't be equipped by the 2nd 2.5" drive (SSD including).

Note, you have to remove cache application (Express Cache) before removing of the m.2 SSD.

Moderator edit: Matched subject to content.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, Option 3g, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Anniversary Edition. Special. Signed by D.Hill. #Retro
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 • WQHD | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное     Moto En

mannkeithc
Punch Card
Views: 1,836
Message 3 of 29

Re: X250: possible to have BOTH M.2 SSD and WWAN card?

I also have an Thinkpad X250 with WWAN card and have just upgraded mine to fit a seond SSD internal to the laptop. The X250 is a great little laptop, because it possible to fit a total of three internal HDD / SSD drives. The first drive goes in the 2.5 inch SATA bay and can be either HDD or SDD up to 9.5 mm thick. The 2nd goes into the 2nd M.2 NGFF slot (i.e. if you dont't have a WWAN module fitted) and requires a M.2 2242 form factor SSD drive, either single or double sided pcb (double sided has memory chips on both sides of the pcb). The 3rd SSD goes into what's referred as the 3rd M.2 NGFF slot (see X250 hardware maintenance manual, p83 https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x250_hmm_en_sp40f30022_01.pdf ).

This is where I have fitted my 2nd SSD. Again it is a M.2 2242 form factor SSD drive, but this time only supports a single side pcb SSD (i.e. memory chips on single / top side of the pcb, otherwise the drive pcb is too thick to fit in the space available). This option is only possible if you don't have a Smart Card reader fitted, as the adaptor and cable required to fit the SSD goes in the same space. The SSD I used was a 128GB ZTC Armor 42 mm M.2 NGFF 6G SSD. They make a 256GB SSD which I believe is also single sided. The Lenovo parts required to fit the SSD are as follows: M.2 Subcard 04X3827 and M.2 Cable (AMP) 04X3939. Optionally, you may need a M.2 Cover 04X5136. The latter was already fitted to my X250, since it didn't have the Smart Card reader option installed, and the cover acts as a blanking plate for the unused smart card slot. There are various Youtube Videos and forum entries describing how to fit a SSD into 3rd M.2 NGFF slot. Attached is a picture of the subcard and cable.

All the fitting hardware (screws, etc.) and connector (underside of motherboard) are present in the standard X250.

I have my X250 configured for dual boot with Windows 10 installed on the 128MB SSD in the 2.5 inch SATA bay and Ubuntu 17.10 on the 128 MB SSD in the 3rd NGFF slot. My WWAN module is still available for use, as fitted 2nd M.2 NGFF slot. The 1st M.2 NGFF slot has the WLAN card fitted.

chenxinghao
Punch Card
Views: 1,687
Message 4 of 29

To mannkeithc:

My first attempt to upgrade the 16GB SanDisk SSD in the 3rd NGFF port (replacing the Smart Card reader) failed because I had a 32GB M.2 2242 SSD that has chips on both sides. I then looked up the 128GB ZTC Armor 42 mm M.2 NGFF 6G SSD that you had recommended and the vender provided a photo of the back-side which shows several resistors mounted. 

$_0.JPG

The 16GB SanDisk SSD has a clean back-side

top side.jpgback side.jpg

Can you confirm that the 128GB ZTC SSD that you used has the back side similar to the vender's photo?

mannkeithc
Punch Card
Views: 1,496
Message 5 of 29

The underside of my 128GB ZTC SSD was not as blank as the photograph you were sent, since mine had some small chip capacitors. The height of these components is very low compared with memory chips on the top side and fits within the adaptor clearance available. I am currently running Ubuntu 17.10 on my SSD in the 3rd NGFF position and have not experienced any thermal issues (runs at 37C, similar to the operating temperature of my SSD in the 2.5 inch SATA bay - 36C).

chenxinghao
Punch Card
Views: 1,486
Message 6 of 29

Thank you for looking into my inqury.
Celso74
Punch Card
Views: 978
Message 7 of 29

I can find all the equipement for the 3rd ngff adapter slot but i cannot figure out where to plug the flat cable on my x250 motherboard

From what i can see in the manual, i unplugged both flat cables (right above the internal battery seperatly) but my SD Reader still works so i guess that's not right....

I even lifted the motherboard to see if i could see any other connections but no. Guess we can't post links to youtube videos?

Is there someone that can upload a picture of where this needs to be plugged in? 

mannkeithc
Punch Card
Views: 967
Message 8 of 29

The connector is on the underside of the motherboard. You effectively need to follow the procedure in hardware & maintenance manual for removing the motherboard to access this connector. It is possible to access the connector without fully removing the motherboard. I followed the instructions in a youtube video that shows you how the replace and X250 keyboard without removing motherboard ( https://youtu.be/HTN-CO_flVs ), but I stopped at the point where you "fold" back the motherboard on the wireless LAN & WAN antenna connection cables in order to access this socket (10:52 minutes into the Video). You just lift up the black plastic covering the underside of motherboard to access sockett. You will see it on the front right hand side as you start to lift the board.

Once you have plugged 3rd NGFF adaptor cable into the motherboard, you then need to fit the M.2 2240 SSD into the adaptor and lay the adaptor + SSD assembly into space where the smart card reader would have been, before reinstalling the motherboard, as this assembly is partially covered by the motherboard.

It sounds complex, but it is relatively straightforward if you follow the above video.

Celso74
Punch Card
Views: 949
Message 9 of 29

Thanks for you quick response, i did not fully check under that big plastic cover on the other side now at least i know where to find it. I have ordered the parts, i also found a relatively large single sided SSD the Toshiba R100 it comes in 120, 240 and 480GB all single sided. While its not the quickest it will be great for additional storage i guess.
mannkeithc
Punch Card
Views: 936
Message 10 of 29

Remember, the 3rd NGFF adaptor only accommodates a single sided short length M.2 SSD, i.e. 2240 form factor (40 mm length), and not the more common 2280 form factor (80 mm length). I was looking for Toshiba M.2 SSDs in the UK and could only find the 2280 form factor - though UK market is not necessarily representative of what may be available in other countries.

2240 form factor is also size of the M.2 SSD can that can be fitted in the WWAN socket (2nd NGFF), should you no longer need a wireless 3G/4G WAN card in your laptop. The added bonus with this socket is it will also accommodate a double sided M2. 2240 SSD. This could give you three drives (or spindles) in an X250, which is truely remarkable for such a small laptop!

Top Kudoed Authors