Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PurrPrinThom
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,458
Message 1 of 4

X250 powered but not charging - please help

Thinkpad x250, less than two years old. Running Windows 10.

Yesterday afternoon after having my laptop plugged in for about a half an hour, I realised that it hadn't increased in charge at all from 9%. I clicked to open the charging icon on the taskbar and it said Battery 1 was at 12% and charging, while Battery 2 was at 5% and not charging.

I unplugged, turned my cable and plugged it back in - same thing. I took the battery out, waited a moment, put it back in. No dice. I repeated this step a couple times.

I left it to charge overnight, hoping that might resolve something but no luck. When I woke up this morning, it was now at 8%, with Battery 1 at 10% and charging while Battery 2 remained at 5% without charging.

My boyfriend has the same charger, so I switched to his to experiment. Battery 2 started to "charge" while Battery 1 stopped. Neither has gained any charge, however. When I switched back to my charging cable, Battery 2 continues to be the one to "charge" and now the battery says it's at 7%.

I uninstalled the drivers, took the battery out for a minute and rebooted, reinstalled the drivers, and there's been no change.

I went into Lenovo Settings and tried to run the Reset Gauge, but it failed as the battery would not charge. Additionally, none of the thresholds are on.

As it is being powered by the cable, and not shutting down, I know that it might be alright as long as I keep it plugged in perpetually, but I'm concerned that once the battery drops low enough that it will just stop booting.

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated.

Paper Tape
Views: 1,212
Message 2 of 4

Re: X250 powered but not charging - please help

Hello PurrPrinThom,

I had a similar problem with the internal battery with my x250 (battery icon was gray, it dont want to charge, but I can turn on my x250 without power supply), please try fallowing solution:

- disconnect power supply

- remove external battery

- turn on your x250, and quick press F1 to enter bios

- when bios is running go to "config", then go to option "disable built in battery" and choose it

- choose "yes" on new window

- x250 will shut down

- please wait 3 min, (I pressed power button to be sure that internal battery is disconnected),

- connect power supply

- press power button

- press F1

- when bios window will appear go to "config" then go to option "disable built in battery" and choose it

choose "no" on new window

- save and exit

- restart x250

- check charging status

On the video you can check how to turn off internal battery in bios (if my English tips were not clear Smiley Wink

Good luck, 

P.S.

If your x250 don't want to start on internal battery, try to do steps above with external battery or just power supply.

Moderator edit: Fixed video start time

PurrPrinThom
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,193
Message 3 of 4

Hello Paper Tape,

Thank you for the response! Luckily, as this post is a year old, the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately - due to it having been so long ago - I'm afraid I cannot remember what I did to fix it.

Thank you for the option in case the issue reoccurs in the future!

Paper Tape
Views: 1,187
Message 4 of 4

Wow, Google fooled me Smiley Wink, we have 2018...
Regards Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors