Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Macienty
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 558
Message 1 of 5

X250 - strange little stain on display

Good morning all,

I turn to you with an unusual problem. One of my employees noticed on his display small (approx. 2mm x 3mm) glittering speck interfering in his work. In my opinion it is difficult to see, however, that user comfort is very important for the company. From what I know, this man puts great emphasis on taking care of equipment and says that there could be no physical damage to the screen. The stain can be seen in the pictures attached. Is there any possibility to remove it without replacing the screen? Is replacing operation complicated? What is the availability of spare parts for THINKPAD laptops in function of time?

I will be extremely grateful for the help.

Have a nice day!

Macienty
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 486
Message 2 of 5

Re: X250 - strange little stain on display

Good morning everyone,

Little update: after little research, it seems that the trackpoint has left a permanent mark on the matrix (may defect factory / assembly defect?). I contacted one of the Polish authorized service and received the answer that "Despite the best intentions, we can not repair the said mark on the matrix. This involves the replacement of the matrix and in this case the damage is classified as a chargeable repair." Does that answer is in line with the policy of Lenovo on business products? Really disappointing.

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 462
Message 3 of 5

I doubt any manufacturer would provide a replacement screen for a small blemish that occurred to an otherwise fully functional screen during normal use of the product. This damage falls under the accidental damage exclusion in the base warranty and, if you have the additional accidental damage protection warranty, the cosmetic only damage exclusion in that warranty. It would be lovely if manufacturers would help cosmetic screen damage, but it's an expensive fix, involving a complete new screen and an extensive strip down and rebuild to fit the replacement screen. If the manufacturers started giving out replacement screens pretty much on demand, everyone would have to pay the cost of these replacements through higher prices.

It is not a manufacturing or assembly defect. There is some flex in all laptop cases and only a small space between the centre of the keyboard and the screen. A modest amount of pressure on the outside of the case over the centre of the keyboard (almost in the middle of the screen, and therefore close to the furthest part of the case lid from the more rigid edges) can be enough to bring the screen into contact with the keys or, if the laptop has one, the Trackpoint. Sometimes you are unlucky and this contact results in the screen being scuffed. There is only so much rigidity that can be built into a lightweight laptop.

Some people put a microfibre cloth over the top of the keyboard when closing their laptop to prevent this type of damage. Another strategy is to use a third party adhesive film screen protector, which can be removed and replaced if it becomes unacceptably scuffed or scratched.

I cannot see any alternative to paying for a replacement screen if you feel replacement is the only course of action open to you. You may find that fitting an anti-reflection screen protector to the existing screen might minimise the objectionable change in reflectivity - only you can decide whether that is worth trying.

Macienty
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 450
Message 4 of 5

Thank you very much for your answer, David. Please do not misunderstand me - I'm not the type of the claim, whining complainer. I do not expect the manufacturer to guide charity. I expected that the legendary series laptops will not be forced my staff to insert cloths between the lid and the keyboard, as in the 90's .. I think that the formation of permanent marks on the matrix, after 3 months of use, is not normal, even in low-cost consumer laptops. I will certainly wiser thanks to your opinion, when I'll buy new computers to the company. Have a nice day!

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 446
Message 5 of 5

I didn't feel you were whining or unreasonable in any way, just disappointed at the situation you found yourself in. I'm like your user - I try to keep equipment in perfect condition, and get annoyed by any scratch or scuff. Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world where even careful use can result in inadvertent damage.

Laptops have got much lighter and thinner since the early 90s. In those days, screens were recessed behind the bezel, giving a greater gap between the screen and keyboard. The modern trend for thin, light laptops may well have resulted in a greater risk of this sort of accidental damage. Even so, I genuinely believe that this could have happened with a laptop from any manufacturer, also that ThinkPads are amongst the best engineered machines in the market today. Having handled a few consumer laptops recently, they feel like flimsy junk at the side of my X1 Yoga.

I would consider trying a screen protector, which might calm down the objectionable spot and would be a lot cheaper than a new screen. I'd also consider trying a microfibre cloth between keyboard and screen - though make sure it's kept clean, otherwise it will harbour abrasive particles that will be rubbed against the screen.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors