Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chenxinghao
Punch Card
Views: 1,662
Message 1 of 3

X250 - upgrading the 3rd SSD

My second X250 came in with a 16GB SanDisk SSD in addition to a 500GB HDD. Reading through the forum, a post mentioned that this 16GB SSD is placed in the position of the smart card reader. The mannual says this is a 3rd NGFF adapter. I am wondering if this 16GB SSD can be upgraded with a m.2 2242 32GB SSD module (or other types). I opened the back cover, lifted the internal battery, then lifted the shining metal cover a little and I don't see a memory module and port under it.

I have installed Linux Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on to this 16GB SSD; the Ubuntu install runs well except that only 1.5GB space left. I am trying to see if there is a way to replace this 16GB SSD with a larger size module. Using the m.2 port next to the WiFi card is my last resort.

I need advice before taking more parts apart.

Thank you. 

chenxinghao
Punch Card
Views: 1,619
Message 2 of 3

Re: X250 - upgrading the 3rd SSD

More reading on this forum led me to a photo of a 3rd NGFF card attached to the 3rd post (by mannkeithc ) in the following topic:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X250-possible-to-have-BOTH-M-2-SSD-and-WWAN-c...

Now I know what to look for.

chenxinghao
Punch Card
Views: 1,515
Message 3 of 3

Re: X250 - upgrading the 3rd SSD

I attempted to upgrade the 16GB SanDisk SSD placed in the 3rd NGFF port only to find out that my 32GB M.2 2242 module doesn't fit the space, because it has chips on both sides of the PBC ! 

It turns out that this specific NGFF port only accepts M.2 2242 modules that have chips only on the face-up side; the other side of the PBC must have nothing. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors