Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Koulou
What's DOS?
Views: 477
Message 1 of 4

X250 with M.2 and dual OS

Hello guys

I recently bought a second hand X250 with an Intel 240gb SSD installed and I am planning to install also an M.2 SSD to install Linux.

I have already installed Linux in another partition in the Intel, but in general I am not a big fan of grub and also I don't like the restriction of maximum 4 primary partitions per disk. I would prefer to keep the Windows drive 100% clean of any Linux staff.

So, I'm planning to install my Linux in the M.2 drive (I have already cleaned my system disk of the Linux staff, grub etc) and I was wondering if choosing the boot up device from the bios is going to be an option, without grub or other boot loaders. I just want to leave the Intel as default boot device and when I want to boot up in Linux, I will choose to boot from the M.2 SSD.

Will such a setup work in my Thinkpad?

As far as the M.2 drive itself, a 120 gb is more than enough and I am planning to go for an ADATA. I have read a lot of negative reviews about the Transcend M.2s and I don't trust "random" manufacturers, like ZTC or KingDian. Is there any better option for me?

Thank you very much for your time. I 'm looking forward to your replies. Cheers Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 457
Message 2 of 4

Re: X250 with M.2 and dual OS

Hello and welcome,

I'd expect your proposed setup to work OK.  F12 during startup will give you the boot menu and you can select which drive you want to boot.

Do keep in mind that to access F12 you have to either do a restart from Windows or fully shut down Windows (SHIFT + Shutown) before powering back on.  Another option is to turn off Windows fast startup - which will impact Windows boot speed to some extent.

Since Win 10 doesn't really shut down normally (more like hibernation) it isn't safe to launch another OS or access BIOS in that state.  Full shutdown or a restart (which does a full shutdown) is necessary.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Koulou
What's DOS?
Views: 453
Message 3 of 4

Hi Zoltan

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I already have in mind the issue with Windows quick boot. For sure it is a bit annoying, but it is not a big issue for me.

Do you have any proposal about a specific brand / model of M.2 SSD? Have you tried any one of them yourself? I definitely want a reliable disk and speed is not my biggest concern.

Cheers 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 450
Message 4 of 4

@Koulou wrote:

Do you have any proposal about a specific brand / model of M.2 SSD? Have you tried any one of them yourself? I definitely want a reliable disk and speed is not my biggest concern.

Sorry I'm not going to be much help here Smiley Sad  I've used  MyDigital and Transcend 2242 SSDs but not had enought time with either one to speak to reliability.

Hopefully others here with more time on their systems will chime in.

One thing I have done that's sort of reliability-related but doesn't quite match your config:  Main OS (Windows) is on the 2242 m.2.  2nd drive is a large spinner with Linux and a bootable Acronis on it.  I keep a backup of the SSD on the HDD so in the case of SSD failure I can pretty quickly get Win reinstalled or access files in the backup as needed.  I also have a Linux backup OS available in the meantime and for my non-Windows uses.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Top Kudoed Authors