Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tommyhome
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 840
Message 1 of 8

X260 20F6 hang during boot need to start twice

Hi,

Got a stupid issue, my x260 hangs at the Lenovo logo screen when starting up from shut off; it shows the lenovo logo but not the message below it. Holding down the power button so it turns off and turning it on again makes it boot as should.

I got it last week, its fully patched running latest windows 10 pro 1607.

I have Oracle VM VirtualBox, and Bitdefender installed.

It's a x260 20F6 (CTO1WW), 6500u, 8GB, 256GB nvme, Full HD, Fingerprint, Smartcard, 72wh.

x260 20F6 (CTO1WW) (6500u, 8GB, 256 GB nVMe, Full HD, Backlit keyboard, FingerPrint, SmartCard, 72Wh)
Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 768
Message 2 of 8

Re: X260 20F6 hang during boot need to start twice

This sounds like a Win10 Fast Startup problem to me, please disable it and see if it fixes your problem.

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+10+disable+fast+startup&oq=windows+10+disable+fast+startup

tommyhome
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 758
Message 3 of 8

Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply.

Yes that fixed it.

Is there a way to tweak my settings to get that feature to work as should?

x260 20F6 (CTO1WW) (6500u, 8GB, 256 GB nVMe, Full HD, Backlit keyboard, FingerPrint, SmartCard, 72Wh)
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 756
Message 4 of 8

@tommyhome wrote:

Is there a way to tweak my settings to get that feature to work as should?

My guess is that it's one of these things which is breaking it:  "I have Oracle VM VirtualBox, and Bitdefender installed."

If you want to debug it, you would need to uninstall those things, one at a time, and turn the Fast Startup option back on to see if/when it starts working again.  If you can figure it out, then contact that company to ask for their support.

But honestly I would keep Fast Startup disabled and forget about it.  It causes lots of problems like this.

tommyhome
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 730
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

A bit of an update, the computer hangs at the exact same place when trying to resume from hibernate, resuming from sleep mode works fine but hibernate is a no go.

I've got a desktop computer running win10 with the same software installed as my x260 and on it hibernate works.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 720
Message 6 of 8

The fast startup is similar to hibernate.  So I agree with you, what you are really troubleshooting is hibernate.  Disabling fast startup is the way to avoid the problem with shutdown/startup but you will still have a hibernate problem.  The only way to debug the hibernate problem is to do what I suggested previously.  I'm sure your desktop does not have all the same components as your laptop so you aren't making an apples-to-apples comparision.  For example, NVMe SSD.  And the BIOS is totally different also.  When we shipped the X260 from the factory, it did not have this problem.  So the problem is caused by some software that you added after you received it.

tommyhome
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 710
Message 7 of 8

Hi,

The one thing that is different is the nvme drive, but if that is the reason for it not to work hibernate should not have worked when the computer shipped.

If I boot it into the bios setup and select the reset bios to default and then press F11(or which one that was) and wipe my current installation the hibernate will work again?

Since I tend to travel and usally just close the lid I kind of are dependant on hibernate working, right now I've set it to sleep as a quickfix.

or can you advice me on how to get the computer back to its factory default so that hibernate once again works?

It will take me some time to set the system up again so I'd rather just do it once, the right way.

tommyhome
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 688
Message 8 of 8

Ok,

I did an F11 reinstall, that came up all f-ed up so I created the usb rescue media with the lenovo tool and wiped the drive with that and now I've got everything running (same as before the wipe) and hibernate works.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors