Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squimmy
Paper Tape
Views: 318
Message 1 of 9

X260 restarts on shutdown/sleep/hibernate + cannot update BIOS

Hello all,

I'm having two major issues with my x260 that may be unrelated but I somewhat suspect they are related.

Firstly, I cannot update the BIOS. No matter what I try I always see "Secure Flash Authentication Failed" and I have tried:

* Using the Windows BIOS update tool to flash to both the latest version and the version one higher
* "Burning" the CD to a USB drive and using that to flash to both the latest version the version one higher. 

Neither worked. I've also ensured that the secure rollback prevention is off in the BIOS and that the user bios flashing setting is enabled.

The other issue I have is much more problematic. I cannot turn the computer off! If I do it just switches back on which is very disconcerting! It doesn't matter whether I turn it off via Windows, Linux, or even just pressing and holding the power button! It *still* turns back on!! **However**, if I press and hold the power button in for longer, say 15 seconds then it does finally click and stay off. Also closing the lid causes the computer to restart as does sleep, suspend and hibernate. All quite irritating :/

Help would be super appreciated, really don't know what to do at this point.

Thanks!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 293
Message 2 of 9

Re: X260 restarts on shutdown/sleep/hibernate + cannot update BIOS

What BIOS version is on the X260 now?

squimmy
Paper Tape
Views: 255
Message 3 of 9

It's on version 1.26. I've tried upgrading to 1.29 using both methods - no luck. 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 239
Message 4 of 9

I'm confused.  1.26 is from Feb 2017.  Please reboot and press F1 to enter BIOS setup, then tell me exactly what you see for the top 4 lines about UEFI BIOS Version, UEFI BIOS Date, Embedded Controller Version, and ME Firmware Version.

squimmy
Paper Tape
Views: 218
Message 5 of 9

Ok. Lines are as follows:

"UEFI BIOS Version                                      R02ET53W (1.26 )

UEFI BIOS Date (Year -Month-Day)          2017-02-20

Embedded Controller Version                  R02HT33W (1.15 )

ME Firmware Version                                 11.8.60.3561"

Why would the laptop BIOS being version 1.26 be unexpected? The embedded controller version seemingly changes every time I try to flash a different version from a USB stick. It doesn't seem to change if I use the Windows BIOS updater for whatever reason.

Is there any more information I can give that may help?

Thanks!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 210
Message 6 of 9

I was surprised that someone is reporting trouble in 2019 about updating from 2017 BIOS that was 14 versions ago.  That's why I asked to double-check.

We have had this kind of problem before on other models, but not ThinkPad X260.  And the work-around for those other models is to disable Secure RollBack Prevention, which you said you already did.

I understand that you already tried upgrading to 1.29 (r02uj56w.exe) and it failed.  See if you can downgrade to the 1.25 package successfully (r02uj52w.exe).

squimmy
Paper Tape
Views: 183
Message 7 of 9

Unfortunately not - different error though!

"BIOS image file does not match this system.

The utility process has not completed."

I'm definitely executing "r02uj52w.exe".

It's still in warrenty - do you think I should just send it on? I'm not sure there's any other action I can take at this point is there?

squimmy
Paper Tape
Views: 180
Message 8 of 9

Just tried updating to 1.26 (i.e. the same exact version) via Windows - that worked fine.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 174
Message 9 of 9

@squimmy wrote:

It's still in warrenty - do you think I should just send it on? I'm not sure there's any other action I can take at this point is there?

I think that is probably the next step.  I don't have any more suggestions.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors