cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sisyphus
Paper Tape
Views: 915
Message 1 of 11

X270 20HN Windows 10 x64: Unable to install Intel Rapid Storage Technology, Chipset Drivers

Hello,

I took delivery of my new ThinkPad X270 three days ago. It is a 20HN model, and it has the 512 GB Intel SSD, with Windows 10 Pro. One of the problems I am having with the machine is that it randomly freezes for a few seconds intermittently. I read on the Microsoft forum that one solution to this was to check of Intel Rapid Space Technology was installed.

In my device manager, I noticed that Rapid Storage Technology was missing. Instead, only the Microsoft Storae Spaces Controller and Standard NVM Express Controller are visible. Then there are no IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in the device manager, either.

I downloaded the driver for Intel RST from the Lenovo web site and installed it, but when I rebooted my systel the storage controllers were still the same Microsoft ones, and the Intel RST was still not showing in the Device Manager. I also re-installed the chipset software, but the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers didn't show up either.

This was all on a clean install of Windows 10.

I already tried using the native troubleshooter app on Windows 10 as well as running an SFC scan, neither of these fixed the problem.

Coud someone advise what I should do to install Intel RST?

Guru
Views: 877
Message 2 of 11

Re: X270 20HN Windows 10 x64: Unable to install Intel Rapid Storage Technology, Chipset Drivers

There won't be an 'Intel RST' entry in Device Manager. Your storage controller should now be an Intel something or other.

If you have only an NVMe SSD, you probably won't have an IDE ATA/ATAPI controller either.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
sisyphus
Paper Tape
Views: 869
Message 3 of 11

Re: X270 20HN Windows 10 x64: Unable to install Intel Rapid Storage Technology, Chipset Drivers

Thanks for the reply ColonelONeil.

The problem is my storage controller is still the Microsoft storage controller, not the Intel RST. I tried installing the RST driver from the downloads page on the Lenovo web site but that didn't work. The driver installation wizard said the driver installed successfully and the device was ready to use, but the Intel RST didn't show in the device manager. The storage controller on the system was still the Microsoft one and didn't become the intel RST as you said. That's what I meant when I said there was no RST entry. I'm sorry if this wasn't clear.

Coukd you kindly advise?

Guru
Views: 857
Message 4 of 11

Ah it looks like RST doesn't cover NVMe drivers, nor does Intel provide their own:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/106345

You'll probably want to check the Intel download center for the SSD driver for your exact drive. This thread may also help:
https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/19025-windows-10-refuses-intel-nvme-ssd-driver.html

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 855
Message 5 of 11

NVME drive doesn't need iRST driver installed, win10 has it natively. Appropriate device in Device Manager is "Standard NVM Express Controller" in the "Storage controllers" category.

The only disadvantage I've noticed with standard OS NVME driver is its very poor write speed. I tested PM961 in T470p and had to replace the standard drivers with Samsung' original.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

sisyphus
Paper Tape
Views: 849
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for the reply, both.

I've found my system freezing intermittently for a few seconds as I use it, and one of the things I read on a Windows forum was that this was because of the issue with the standard OS storage controller. The advice was to install the Intel storage controller for the hard drive.

I've looked in the Intel download center for the SSD driver for my drive (6000p series 512 GB, which came as one of the customisation options during purcase). However, I did not find a download for the driver. I downloaded the Intel SSD Toolbox which included in it a firmware update tool, but the update tool said I should contact my OEM manufacturer for the update to the firmware for my SSD. It was not letting me download or check for an update myself.

Any further suggestions?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 845
Message 7 of 11

The NVME SSD firmware update for OEM drives is on Lenovo support site, available ftom x270' download page:
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/fwnv15.zip - update package
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/fwnv15en.txt - readme

Fw version this package has for your Intel SSD 6000p (p/n SSDPEKKF512) is 121P.

Edit: wrong link to the package

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

sisyphus
Paper Tape
Views: 840
Message 8 of 11

Hi x220forme,

Thanks for the link. The link to the exe that you provided seems to be returning a 404 error. I managed to download the utility and run it from the x270 download page.

I've tried the update utility and it says no new firmware was found, so it appears I have the latest version of the firmware installed. I cross-checked with the Intel SSD tools and the version number matches (121P).

But the system still seems to be using the Microsoft standard storage controller (Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller and Standard NVM Express Controller) rather than any Intel storage controller. I tried installing Intel RST and got the error that the platform was not supported.

I have also noticed in the BIOS settings that the storage disk is not listed as a connected device. Could this be part of the problem or any indication to what the issue might be?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 835
Message 9 of 11

Indeed, there was my typo: exe instead of zip in the URL.

Regarding the driver:
sorry, but you force me to repeate the same words. There isn't need to install iRST driver for SATA devices as this device is absent in the laptop (this is a cause of error you noticed), use standard OS drivers instead or have a look on Internet for Intel' original NVME drivers for SSD controller with appropriate Device ID (DEV).

There isn't error in the BIOS Setup you've noticed. In case the NVME drive is installed it's normal.

sisyphus
Paper Tape
Views: 817
Message 10 of 11

Thank you so much for your reply, and my apologies for misunderstanding your earlier point.

The reason I tried to install iRST again was because I tried searching for the driver for the Intel 6000p 512 SSD on the Intel web site, and this is what it said:

Where can I find NVMe drivers for my Intel® SSD 600p/Pro 6000p Series drive?

The standard NVMe in-box drivers that come with the operating system support the Intel® SSDs. We don't have a vendor-unique driver for these products. If you have a 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor with flexible input/output support in the system BIOS, you can also use the Intel® RST driver.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/000022378.html

If, as you say, I cannot use the Intel RST because the device is not present in the computer, and I cannot find any separate driver for the SSD from the Intel web site besides iRST, then I guess I have no choice but to continue using the standard Windows driver and living with the intermittent freezing of the system.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors