Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gilster
Blue Screen Again
Views: 305
Message 1 of 1

X270 SSD 2280/2242 Upgrade + KB Question

Hi,

So I have an X270 with a 256gb SSD. I have been wanting to upgrade memory and the drive and ordered in what I thought was the correct path: 16gb SODIMM and a 2.5" Samsung EVO SSD. If I understand the terminology,  after opening the unit it appears that the boot drive is PCIe NVME 2280 mounted into a caddy placed in the 2.5" drive slot. So from other reading, it appears that I have some limited options. I had assumed that the boot drive was in the 2242 slot, and that I would just stick this new Samsung into the 2.5" slot and be done. But that caddy to the 2280 drive does not have a similar cable connector to my Samsung EVO 860 I purchased.  The questions I have are:

1. am I locked into the 2280 drive form factor in my configuration? Presumably this means that I return my Evo 860 (or stick it in another machine in the house) and by a larger 2280 drive and do a restore from media? Any advantage/pros/cons to this versus adding 2242 on top of the existing
  2. It appears that there is a much smaller range of manufacturers and sizes for 2242 drives (and apparently some Transcend units don't work?) but I could just bite the bullet and install a secondary 2242 drive in the WWAN slot and call it a day?

On a secondary issue: is it possible to install a lighted keyboard into an X270 that has previously not had one? I know that this involves diving deep into this assembly, but curious if anyone has ever done it and their success or challenges.

Thanks in advance for any counsel you can offer.

Gil

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors