Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RicarteEL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,310
Message 1 of 9

X270 - Some Fn keys are not working

Strangely, some of the FN keys of my X270 are not working. Only the special functions, I still can use the standard function of each key without issues. Also, the On Screen Display is not working, both for FN functions and for CapsLock. I'm not sure if the issues are related or not.

Here is a list of the current status of each key:

- FN + ESC (Fn lock): OK

- Fn + F1 (Mute/Unmute speaker): OK

- Fn + F2 (Decrease volume): OK

- Fn + F3 (Increase volume): OK

- Fn + F4 (Mute/Unmute microphone): Not working

- Fn + F5 (Increase brightness): OK

- Fn + F6 (Decrease brightness): OK

- Fn + F7 (Change display output): Not working

- Fn + F8 (Wireless on/off): Not working

- Fn + F9 (Control Panel): Not working

- Fn + F10 (Bluetooth on/off): Not working

- Fn + F11 (Keyboard settings): Not working

- Fn + F12 (User-defined key): Not working

- FN + PrSc (Open the Snipping Tool) : Not working

- Fn + Space Bar (Keyboard backlight): OK

I'm using Win7 and I've already downloaded and installed the software  below, without success:

- Lenovo Communications Utility Program for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook - 3.1.23.013 - Sep 2017
- ThinkVantage Access Connections for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Laptop - 6.26.8815 - Jun 2017

- Hotkey Features Integration for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad - 8.86.2507 - Dec 2017

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Guru
Views: 2,278
Message 2 of 9

Re: X270 - Some Fn keys are not working

Hi,

Did you update the power management driver?  People that updated that are having issues with Fn keys and OSD see below.  The solution is to ROLL back the power management driver.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Latest-Power-Management-Driver-Conflicts...

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

RicarteEL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,256
Message 3 of 9

Yes, I did.

However, the problem didn't fixed, even after rolling back to the previous version (1.67.14.4) of the power management driver.

I also changed startup type from  'automatic'  to  'automatic delayed start' for two services (Lenovo Hotkey Client Loader; and On Screen Display) as described in the thread you've linked, but no success.

Any further advice?

Guru
Views: 2,220
Message 4 of 9

After Rolling back the power management driver have you tried reinstalling the hotkey driver?  Someone mentioned in the other post thats what he did.  Also did you verify that the "bad" power management driver didnt get reinstalled after reboot?

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

RicarteEL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,217
Message 5 of 9

Yes, I did reinstalled the Hotkey Features Integration for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), version 8.86.25 after rolling back.

I also checked and the PM did not auto-updated.

Still no results...

PM Driver.jpg

Guru
Views: 2,210
Message 6 of 9

What about the graphics driver?  I know sometimes for people with brightness keys not working reinstalling the graphics drivers help.  I'm really sorry I dont have any other ideas.  Also this may sound stupid but did you by chance switch the Fn and Cntrl key either in BIOS or lenovo settings?  So Ctrl acts Like Fn?

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

RicarteEL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,167
Message 7 of 9

Fn and Cntrl are not switched. Updating the graphics driver half-solved the issue.
Now, the OSD is back!
But the Fn keys issue is still like before, only some functions are working.
The PM is still in the version 1.67.14.4, and I tried reinstalling the Hotkey Features Integration, but no avail.
Any other suggestion?
RicarteEL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,099
Message 8 of 9

I did it! Finally fixed!

After following the provided suggestions with no success, I almost gave up. I had already rolled back the PM driver, reinstalled the Hot Features Integration and even the Graphics Driver but nothing brought the FN functions back...

I then proceeded to undo the changes I've done and I started by updating the PM driver again. Then, I hit me. What if I try to roll it back one more time? I did so, more in desperation than logic, but to my surprise, it worked!

So that's it. The problem is really the Lenovo Power Manager Driver.

I don't know why it didn't work at the first time I rolled it back, but that was it.

For those who face the same problem in the future, just try to roll back and update and roll back again the PM driver a couple of times, until it fixes the FN functions issue.

Now, we can just hope Lenovo releases an updated driver that doesn't mess with other functions of the system...

Xtremer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,709
Message 9 of 9

For people who also might have this kind of problem:

I solved it by downloading this driver which is provided by Lenovo, you are welcome to try!

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/hk/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

It is called: Hotkey Features Integration for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors