Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hoeppemann
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,698
Message 31 of 64

Re: X270 generic freeze?

I have this problem even without Chrome running. I think it's more related to the CPU or GPU power states. For example as long as I play a game this lag never occurs, but sometimes as soon as the game has to load a new level it freezes. The same goes with watching videos, as long it's running in the background nothing happens. At least opening and closing the lid solves it.

maheshkr9
Serial Port
Views: 1,696
Message 32 of 64

yes, closing-opening lid resolves this problem. I wish Lenovo could resolve this soon.

jhk2611
Paper Tape
Views: 1,627
Message 33 of 64

I suffer from the same symptoms. Flankly, I'd like to request a refund, if possible.

If this problem doesn't solve out, my confidence in Lenovo will be lost.

The information of my machine is as below.

X270, Intel core i7-7500U @ 2,7Ghz

16GB ram 512SSD.

Window 10 home ver 1803  OS build 17134.48

Freezing  is happend at 1~2 times for every single time when  I'm using, especially when I worked at Microsoft Excel.

I use a Bluetooth mouse and connect to the network with Wi-fi, every sigle time.

I look forward to resolving this problem as soon as possible.

Highlighted
niconuma
Punch Card
Views: 1,619
Message 34 of 64

Hi all,

I'd like to give my follow up on this problem.

I've sent Lenovo five times for checkup & repair. The first two times they reproduced the issue but thought it was a SSD, SSD cable issue.

Those didn't fix it. So I sent them the third time and ever since they couldn't reproduce it even with nearly two months of checkup. Funny; I can produce the problem within an hour they sent it back!

On the third checkup they couldn't reproduce and asked me whether or not I want an internal swap just in case. I did, still no fix.

After the third repair I've called Lenovo to argue them for an exchange or refund. Not only did they reject both, they accused me of misusing it. I have been a Thinkpad user since the IBM era and I work as an programmer so I know my ways around it. This was quite disappointing. 

On the fifth checkup, they swapped the display, display cable, keyboard (they believe its keyboard/touchpad problem). Still no fix.

Unfortunately I wasn't going to pay Lenovo just for another PC I can't be sure if it's problem-free or not, nor am I willing to give up the load of cash I saved to buy the problematic PC.

I was advised to email Lenovo myself and ask for a refund due to them breaching the contract (responsibility to fulfil the order).

Then finally came the good news. They agreed to give a full replacement OR full refund. I took the refund.

I am going to stay away from Lenovo for a few generations until they regain my trust. Until then, I will be going for a Macbook Pro (partially due to job requirement)

Anyone reading this and still having trouble, take videos of the freeze and attach them along with this thread and go request for a refund.

Good luck to everyone.

Mod edit:  Removed comment that is in violation of the Community Guidelines.

maheshkr9
Serial Port
Views: 1,607
Message 35 of 64

Hi Niconuma,

Thanks for sharing your experience here, this will help other affected users also. I also had similar kind of experience and opted for a refund.

But, I'll buy x1 carbon 6th gen this time.

Regards,

Mahesh

paullim29
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,598
Message 36 of 64

Hi All,

Thanks to this post, I've tried to disable the H/W Acceleration in the following applications:

1) Google Chrome

2) Internet Explorer

3) MS Office

And so far so good.  My X270 doesn't hang anymore!  By default, these 3 apps enabled the h/w acceleration which I don't know why.  

Copenhagen
Paper Tape
Views: 1,475
Message 37 of 64

Me too. I have also been suffering from these random freezes on my brand new X270 since I got it about a month ago. First I thought it was related to a plugin I use in VS Code called ftp-simple because the freezes seems occur when I use. But now it happening from several times per hour to finding whole days between freezes. Now the only connection seems to be I have Google Chrome open. So now I used the info on https://www.lifewire.com/hardware-acceleration-in-chrome-4125122 to disable hardware acceleration in chrome. And since then I had no freezes. Cross my fingers.  This could be an OK workaround until Lenovo finds the bug an cures it for good.  The websites I'm working on is displaying just fine without the acceration on even the small animations runs fine. 

pnob18
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,385
Message 38 of 64

Hi, I'm having the same issue on a Thinkpad T570.

I have tried to rollback to various versions of drivers of Intel HD 620 and it seems to address the problem for a while, but after some days the problem represents again. No way to understand what activity/operation triggers the problem, sometimes it happens just after the boot. Anyway now I have read the suggestions above (disable hardware acceleration) and I'll try. I'll be back on this forum in a few weeks, I hope with good news. Thank you all for your suggestions.

pnob18
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,352
Message 39 of 64

After disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome, Office and Edge/Explorer, nothing changed. I continue to experience random, intermittent freeze. In effect, the freeze may happen also if none of these applications is started, so I don't think that the issue is caused by hardware acceleration. I noticed one thing: when the system starts to freeze, if I put the PC in stadnby by pressing the power button, and then I wake up again, the problem disappears and the PC starts to work properly. Something that has to do with energy management, maybe? I don't know, at this point it's not up to me to fix the issue. I'll have to call Lenovo support.

paullim29
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,323
Message 40 of 64

Hi,

1) Do you run Hyper-V in your laptop?  If yes, that is one of the thing to turn off to make it stable.  So, what I did is if I'm not using Hyper-V, I will stop the Hyper-V services.

2) I installed an older version of the Intel 620 driver.  So far, this version seems to be the most stable for me.  It's 21.20.16.4534 (10 July 2016)

I've also logged a case with Lenovo.  What they told me is to reboot the laptop. press F10 to go into Diagnostic scan and leave it there... see if it hangs or not.  If it doesn't hang, then they claimed that there is nothing wrong with the hardware.  For me, my laptop doesn't hang in the Diagnostic page (without OS).  But based on my above testing using the older version of Intel 620 driver, it seems to work.  So, my guess is that it's the Intel 620 driver that is causing the issues.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors