cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arcticsequoia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 123
Message 1 of 2

X270 i5-7200 CPU throttles to 0.38GHz when using the 6 cell battery, any ideas on how to solve this?

I have an issue with CPU throttling on a new X270 with an i5-7200 processor that I picked up a few days ago.

The machine works as expected when plugged in or when running off the non-removable battery. However, there is an issue when running it from its ThinkPad Battery 68+ (6 cell) part number 0C52862. As soon as the machine starts running from the 6-cell battery, the CPU gets throttled to 0.38GHz and everything becomes super slow and barely usable. Even keystrokes take a second to register.

It's very strange because when first powering on the machine, it runs unthrottled for 10-15 seconds before the throttling kick in.

As soon as the battery is disconnected, the throttling stops and performance returns to normal.

This is exactly the same issue as these people have been having, with the same CPU on the T470 - even the throttling frequency is the same:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T470-Heavy-CPU-Throttling-on-Battery/td-...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Lenovo-T470-Core-i5-7200u-Slow-performan...

I have updated to the latest BIOS available and reset the BIOS settings to default however the problem remains. Lenovo Vantage is installed as well as all the latest updates/drivers.

I sent in a support ticket over 10 days ago but have still not heard back. Any ideas on how to solve this?

arcticsequoia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 65
Message 2 of 2

Re: X270 i5-7200 CPU throttles to 0.38GHz when using the 6 cell battery, any ideas on how to solve t

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I need to figure this out and if it can't be solved I may need to file a claim with the seller and return the machine...

Alternatively - does someone know how I can get hold of Lenovo by phone?

I opened a support ticket on the managedtechnicalsupportaccess link that I found on the Lenovo website, but more than 10 business days have passed and still no response, very annoying....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors