Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tom168
Paper Tape
Views: 456
Message 1 of 8

X270 "Reset error" after keyboard change

Hi,

After a keyboard replacement I have serious problems getting the notebook (X270 20HN) to work again. I hope that some can give me tips how to resolve the error.

I disassembled the notebook as far as necessary to replace the previous german keyboard with an english one. After re-assembling it, taking care of course to attach everything as it was before, I continously get a beep error :/ According to the "Lenovo PC Diagnostics" App, it corresponds to 0001 - Reset error

The manual says about this:

0001: Reset error (platform reset not de-asserted)
Solutions
1. Remove all power resources (the ac power
adapter, removable battery, and coin-cell battery).
If your computer has a built-in battery, reset the
computer by inserting a straightened paper clip
into the emergency-reset hole. Wait for one
minute. Then reconnect all power resources.
2. Replace the system board (service provider only).

The notebook in question has a built-in battery, and I tried the procedure serveral time, also with some variations (also unplugging the internal battery, pressing the button short and minute etc). But everything to no avail.

I also re-replaced the keyboard to make sure it's not a faulty one, but get the same error. Also, the keyboard backlight works after turing the device on, as well as the Fn key works as expected so I guess it's not the keyboards fault (or one of it's connectors).

Did someone have similar expieriences? Does someone have tips what I could try to make it running?

Thanks for your time and your help in advance

Tom

ujda765
Punch Card
Views: 405
Message 2 of 8

Re: X270 "Reset error" after keyboard change

German keyboard and English keyboard are different in keyboard signal due to Y/Z key shift,  so technically, you cannot switch them simply.

that's why you got the error message.

After removing the main battery, and also disconnect the BIOS battery (the coin size CR2032 battery), short circuit the BIOS battery connector at the motherboard side. Then try to reboot.

If you still have the problem, then the keyboard signal is written inisde the BIOS, you have no hope.

tom168
Paper Tape
Views: 382
Message 3 of 8

Hi,

Thanks for your response!

> After removing the main battery, and also disconnect the BIOS battery (the coin size CR2032 battery), short circuit the BIOS battery connector at the motherboard side. Then try to reboot.

Should I also disconnect the internal battery or leave it connected?

tom168
Paper Tape
Views: 359
Message 4 of 8

I short-circuited the batter connector with the internal battery plugged in and out. Also tried to use only either the external or the internal battery. Nothing helped.

> If you still have the problem, then the keyboard signal is written inisde the BIOS, you have no hope.

Do you mean that I bricked it by changing the keyboard? I switched back to the original german one after the unsucessful replacement.

Lenovo Employee Jan_Lenovo
Lenovo Employee
Views: 337
Message 5 of 8

Dear Tom,

Welcome to Lenovo forum !

have you reset your coin battery already? your replacing keyboard if from Lenovo? thank you

tom168
Paper Tape
Views: 331
Message 6 of 8

By resetting you mean the short-circuiting of the connectors on the mainboard-side? Yes, I did that. The replacement keyboard was from Lenovo, yes. https://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-Keyboard-English-International-Backlight/dp/B07GC7D5LV/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_...
ujda765
Punch Card
Views: 319
Message 7 of 8

@tom168 wrote:
By resetting you mean the short-circuiting of the connectors on the mainboard-side? Yes, I did that. The replacement keyboard was from Lenovo, yes. https://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-Keyboard-English-International-Backlight/dp/B07GC7D5LV/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_...

1   .Remove li-ion battery which powered the laptop.

2.   **And** remove coin battery

3.   Short circuit the coin battery terminal on the motherboard.

tom168
Paper Tape
Views: 238
Message 8 of 8

The solution was now to replace the mainboard. Nevertheless: Thanks to all here who tried to help! Much appreciated.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors