Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-18-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 4

X280 - Connecting two external monitors via MST USB C Hub using USB-C port

2021-01-18, 21:45 PM

Hi all 

I am working from home using an X280 ThinkPad laptop and I was attempting to use two external monitors and my laptop screen. I purchased a USB C Hub with a HDMI port on it. I have tried to connect one monitor to the HDMI port on the laptop and one on the HDMI port of the hub. The monitor on the hub appears to take priority, as the other monitor plugged into the HDMI port on the laptop disconnects once the hub is connected. 

I noticed that one of the monitors also have a VGA connection. After researching more hubs on Amazon I can see some are stating they support multiple monitors (HDMI and VGA in extend mode).

I am interested in trying one of these hubs but I would first like to ask these questions regarding the USB - C port on the X280 laptop. 

1. Does the USBC port (non thunderbolt port, as my thunderbolt port isn't detected by windows for some reason and doesn't appear in Device Manager) support MST and/or DP Alternate Mode? 

The reason I ask this is because all the hubs stating they support multiple displays state that MST or DP Alternate Mode must be supported by device. 

This leads to my next question. 

2. If DP Alternate Mode or MST is supported, does having a HDMI - HDMI and VGA-VGA setup sound feasible?

Thanks to anyone who can provide answers or advice. 

P.S: One example USB C Hub that states it supports triple display via MST or DP Alternate Mode is: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BF8XMZP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_scGbGbYTFBKVX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Answer
Options

2083 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

143 Signins

10570 Page Views

• Views: 10570

Re:X280 - Connecting two external monitors via MST USB C Hub using USB-C port

2021-01-18, 22:58 PM
As per the psref website (psref.lenovo.com), your computer has the ff USB ports: Two USB 3.1 Gen 1 (one Always On), one USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 1 (with the function of Power Delivery and DisplayPort), one USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 / Thunderbolt 3 (with the function of PD and DP) Hope this helps Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Replies(3)
Options

2083 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

143 Signins

10570 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

2021-01-18, 22:36 PM

Hello sportslover2021,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

We highly recommend that you use a Lenovo USB C hub or docking station.

Have you tried these steps for multiple monitors

You can also refer to this previous thread about extended displays

You've mentioned that the Thunderbolt isn't detected, I suggest that you fix this so that you can utilize the USB C Thunderbolt feature in your machine

As for your question 1: Yes, one of the USB C supports DP/MST

For question 2: Yes, HDMI - HDMI and VGA-VGA setup is feasible. 

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2 Posts

01-18-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-01-18, 22:47 PM

Thank you for the great reply. Just one more thing. When you say one of the USBC ports supports DP/MST, would this be either of the USB C ports on the machine (USBC or Thunderbolt) or only the Thunderbolt?

Thanks 

Answer
Options

2083 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

143 Signins

10570 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2021-01-18, 22:58 PM
As per the psref website (psref.lenovo.com), your computer has the ff USB ports: Two USB 3.1 Gen 1 (one Always On), one USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 1 (with the function of Power Delivery and DisplayPort), one USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 / Thunderbolt 3 (with the function of PD and DP) Hope this helps Regards

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms