Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
citruslime
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,313
Message 1 of 16

X300 WAN Access and GPS (in Europe)

I'm trying to find information on the 3G (mobile broadband) options for my X300 with limited success. I've purchased the unit without the inbuilt Vodafone card as no stock was available on this SKU.

My company uses Three (the network provider) for our mobile Internet access via USB dongles. If I buy the 3G card is it locked to Vodafone or can any 3G SIM be used?

I would normally include the 3G part code, but the IBM section of the UK Lenovo site isn't working- http://www.pc.ibm.com/uk/notebook/ (which is where the part codes/model lists live) , which it wasn't yesterday either. I'll update this when it comes back to life.

Also I've noted that in some reviews they talk about  GPS for the X300, how do you get this option?

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 9,295
Message 2 of 16

Re: X300 WAN Access and GPS (in Europe)

both the vodafone and at&t HSDPA cards appear to be carrier-locked.   this thread on forum.thinkpads.com has some good information if you haven't yet read it.

to my knowledge GPS is only available with the sierra MC5725 EV-DO card installed.   i haven't read any accounts of it working with HSDPA cards but will report back if i discover otherwise.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

citruslime
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,268
Message 3 of 16

Thanks Eric the information on GPS is helpful.

The UK site is now live again and I've been able to check the SKU's associated with my X300. The only UK WAN part is 43R1821 (http://www5.pc.ibm.com/uk/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_43R1821?open&OpenDocument&epi=web_express).

Its not clear from the description if this is locked, the post at http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?p=405277 seems to suggest that the Vodafone SKU's are not always locked or 42T0901 is the unlocked SKU. I'm happy to pay £220.00 for the card, but its about as useful as a chocolate teapot if its locked to Vodafone as we use Three for our HSDPA. Seems daft not to offer a carrier neutral option as it takes out 75% of the business users in the UK.

As a business we don't want to have accounts with lots of different operators. Looking around I'm not the only one who's finding this frustrating. I know this is a new technology, but locking a modem to a carrier seems a bit daft to me. Bit like locked the WiFi card to a particular brand of wireless router. This might be fine for a mobile phone where the carrier subsidises the handset, but I'd rather pay full wack so I can use the kit aboard and with the carrier of my choice.

Message Edited by citruslime on 04-06-2008 11:14 AM
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 9,223
Message 4 of 16

From experience in Germany.
When the T60 and X60 first came out with Vodafone in Europe they had Provider-Locks on the modules. It was possible to call Lenovo and request an unlock code in order to use a provider other than Vodafone, this was provided free of charge.
When the T61 and X61 came out, the modules were no longer locked and could be used with other providers "out of the box".

I have configured T61 and X61s for use with T-Mobile and Access Connections and have not had to unlock the modules. I have checked which ThinkPads were configured and they have the module FRU 42T0931, option 43R1821, the same as that used in the X300.

I don't honestly see there being a problem with using another provider, you will just need to enter the correct user name and pw.

As far as GPS is concerned; my information is that this option is not available in europe. (At the moment).

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

stimpy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,204
Message 5 of 16

I have an X300 purchased in the USA. Is there anyway I can add on HSDPA to use in France and other continental European countries?

TIA!

-Stimpy X300 6478-1TU
stimpy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,187
Message 6 of 16

To sort of answer my own question, I just saw this newsblurb...

Dell, HP and Lenovo are all set to begin incorporating Qualcomm's Gobi chipset, which allows laptop users to connect to both HSPA and EV-DO networks. HSPA is predominantly used in Europe, while EV-DO has its largest footprint in the U.S. The two technologies' incompatibility has been troubling for companies like Vodafone and Verizon Wireless. While Vodafone owns half of Verizon Wireless, they cannot create synergies between their current 3G services since they make use of different technologies. Gobi looks to correct that and allow laptop users to take advantage of whichever 3G tech is available.

-Stimpy X300 6478-1TU
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 9,183
Message 7 of 16

stimpy,
that's good information, do you have a link to the article?

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

stimpy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,180
Message 8 of 16

http://www.news.com/Laptop-makers-adopt-3G-Gobi-chipset/2100-1006_3-6236783.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1...

Moderator Note; converted to clickable link - and thanks for the great link

Message Edited by andyP on 04-07-2008 08:46 PM
-Stimpy X300 6478-1TU
rossaj
What's DOS?
Views: 9,116
Message 9 of 16

Hi Everyone,

I too have just purchased an X300 without the hsdpa module (it is not available in HK)

I've opened up the panel on the bottom and although there is a second mini-pci slot (and unconnected antenna cable) the space is about half the size of the 4965 card..

From the pictures on Lenovo's site - it does not look like it will fit!!

Any ideas?

Also, any suggestion where I can order the part (I'll by online in the UK and then get family to ship to HK)

Thanks,

Alan
SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 9,102
Message 10 of 16

@rossaj wrote:
I've opened up the panel on the bottom and although there is a second mini-pci slot (and unconnected antenna cable) the space is about half the size of the 4965 card..

From the pictures on Lenovo's site - it does not look like it will fit!!

Any ideas?

the half-length mPCIe socket you're looking at is for the WUSB card, not the WWAN card.   you need to remove the keyboard to access the mPCIe socket specified for a WWAN or turbomemory card.   installation videos can be viewed here.

two antenna leads will be routed to this card but you'll only need one for the HSDPA card.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors