Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
Message 1 of 7 (2,718 Views)

X300 WWAN - works in XP, fails in Windows 7

There have been a few threads on WWAN and Windows 7 but I can’t find an answer to my problem. I haven't been able to get my Sierra WWAN card + Vodafone UK (pre-pay) to work with Windows 7. I had more or less given up but thought I'd have one last try. Fortunately, I still have dual boot into XP available and the card works under XP, so it isn't a hardware or SIM card issue. When I try with WIn7 and the latest drivers from the download site, it just won't connect. It tries for ages and gives up. The XP and Win 7 drivers are the same version. The error messages from Access Connections are: Error Code 068 1) Unable to connect to network at this time due to out of coverage or sign-up period is expired. Please contact your service operator or click on "Repair" button for sign up. 2) The mobile station is requesting a service option for which it has no subscription. Please contact your wireless WAN service provider. I can’t find anything useful via Google on this – can anyone help? Rgrds, F
Long time ThinkPad user: 770, 600, T40, X300, now X301 240gb SSD, 8 GB ram. Now playing with Yoga Book 10.1 Android
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Message 2 of 7 (2,666 Views)

Re: X300 WWAN - works in XP, fails in Windows 7

my problem wasn't exactly the same, but somewhat the same. i have an at&t 3g wireless adapter that wouldn't work with windows 7.  i don't use access connections.  the adapter came with a sierra wireless utility so i brought up the utility and it connected okay with it.  i also have an azio 802.11n usb adapter that windows 7 can't connect with. so i use the utility that came with it and it works okay.  i know that access connections kinda takes over everything so i wonder if you were able to use the sierra connect utility whether it would work or not.    

Serial Port
Message 3 of 7 (2,657 Views)

Thanks for the response - I have tried the utility provided - but I beleive that utility (called 'Mobile Broadband Connect') is provided by Vodafone. I have had no success with that either.

I haven't been able to track down any Sierra software - their web site just refers you to your 'field sales representative'.

One problem with it is that I can't find a way of specifying the access details - that utility seems to assume 'pay monthly' access, rather then pre-pay. Access Connections does allow me to add the required credentials.

Rgrds F

Long time ThinkPad user: 770, 600, T40, X300, now X301 240gb SSD, 8 GB ram. Now playing with Yoga Book 10.1 Android
Community Moderator
Message 4 of 7 (2,636 Views)

it sounds like access connections can't use the xp driver to connect under windows 7 even though you are able to provide the right credentials.  and since the utility assumes you are using a monthly plan instead of  prepay you might have to contact vodafone to work some magic on their end.  i had to call at t at first coz mine wouldn't work on the monthly plan. they did something on their end so that it would work. 

Paper Tape
Message 5 of 7 (2,600 Views)

I have a similar problem, but with the Sierra MC 5725 modem Verizon. I can't get the Win7 drivers to accept. I wiped my X300 disk and installed Win 7. The card will not accept the updated drivers. I even installed the extra bloatware as dictated by Lenovo (Thinkvantage, etc), but no luck. Any help??

Serial Port
Message 6 of 7 (2,587 Views)

Re: X300 WWAN - works in XP, fails in Windows 7: partly resolved

[ Edited ]

It was definitely a Vodafone issue - I have tried an Orange SIM and it connected OK. Access Connections seems a bit cranky (it hung first time I tried to connect) but it seemed to have connected.

I would have added this note whilst connected via Orange but the Orange Safeguarding system decided that this site in unsuitable for people under 18 and, as it doesn't know that I am over 18, it refused to display it to me! I assume that, with the Vodafone SIM, it is trying to use contract settings.

I will try to work up the energy to phone Vodafone support and see if I can sort it out! Thanks for the input, folks...

F

Community Moderator
Message 7 of 7 (2,569 Views)

Re: X300 WWAN - works in XP, fails in Windows 7: partly resolved

better give yourself a half a day to call vodofone, that might be half a nightmare. it took me two tries and 2 half days to get at t straightened out.

Top kudoed Authors