Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

71 Posts

03-18-2008

Miami

73 Signins

988 Page Views

• Views: 988
  • Message 31 of 46

Re: X300 - how's the LED screen?

2008-04-14, 1:38 AM
actually 997TT, i got my X300 last week!

i think it is an awesome computer - but - i fear travelling with it because if it breaks down on me while in another country, i would have to wait till i am back home to service - what good is that for a notebook designed to be travelled with?

i may get the Air for this purpose - i like the fact that I could walk into any apple store worldwide for service - as other users have pointed out here in this forum.

i also do not like the space that ThinkVantage takes up - it is absolutely useless to me! i back up regularly, i dont need this junk taking up my  space! - Another advantage of the Air - at least there is value to the Mac OS partition - meaning, if i HAD to have a separate partition - i would choose to have Mac OS instead of ThinkVantage... makes sense to me...

the other thing is, as notebookreview.com pointed out, "the Air is far more durable than any Thinkpad on the market today." - That is from a Thinkpad user!

so, while the X300 is really cool - it has some challenges to overcome
T61 - X300 - D10
Options

14 Posts

04-11-2008

Germany

11 Signins

221 Page Views

• Views: 221
  • Message 32 of 46

2008-04-14, 13:27 PM

Julie wrote:
actually 997TT, i got my X300 last week!

i think it is an awesome computer - but - i fear travelling with it because if it breaks down on me while in another country, i would have to wait till i am back home to service - what good is that for a notebook designed to be travelled with?

i may get the Air for this purpose - i like the fact that I could walk into any apple store worldwide for service - as other users have pointed out here in this forum.

i also do not like the space that ThinkVantage takes up - it is absolutely useless to me! i back up regularly, i dont need this junk taking up my  space! - Another advantage of the Air - at least there is value to the Mac OS partition - meaning, if i HAD to have a separate partition - i would choose to have Mac OS instead of ThinkVantage... makes sense to me...

the other thing is, as notebookreview.com pointed out, "the Air is far more durable than any Thinkpad on the market today." - That is from a Thinkpad user!

so, while the X300 is really cool - it has some challenges to overcome

The "the Air is far more durable than any Thinkpad on the market today" is an interesting claim. Has the person who claimed this proven it? I couldn't find any real comparison durability testing.

I found THIS though about the Macbook Air on notebookreview.com:

Heat

One downside to an all aluminum design is the entire notebook acts as one gigantic heatsink. In the case of the MacBook Air, you have a machine that runs a bit on the hot side that burns your hands when the system is under stress. With the processor underneath the top left section of the keyboard, it is hottest in that area, which also happens to be the same spot gamers place their left hand for movement controls. Playing Half-Life for any decent length of time puts your hand in a situation where the surface of the notebook is pretty darn hot, almost unbearable. The bottom of the notebook during all of this is hotter still, and very uncomfortable for bare legs. Gaming might not be a primary use for this notebook, but other CPU intensive activities like compressing music or encoding video will put you in a similar situation.

While your average web browsing might not get to the same temperature peaks that I found during gaming, even normal activity had this notebook feeling hotter than any other notebook I have used. Most of this could probably be associated with the type of case, but is still worth mentioning.

My Macbook Air turned OFF itself several times without any warning because of the heat, so here we go regarding reliability.

You can walk in into any Apple Store worldwide to have the Macbook Air repaired? Maybe. Now tell me: how many official Apple Stores are there worldwide outside the US? :smileytongue: As far as I remember, there are two in Germany, a country which has almost the third of the US population.  There is one(!) Apple Store in Rome in Italy and most other european countries don't even know how an Apple store looks alike with the exception of France and the UK maybe. Meaning: even if you could do what you claim(trust me, I had a broken Macbook and I had to wait two weeks for a replacement at the local Apple Store), I doubt that an european Apple store would be as generous as a US one. Yes, I know that Apple Stores in the US are sometimes easily exchanging broken laptops/iPhones/iPods/etc but over here in Germany, this is very unlikely to happen. I also remember that a woman tried to exchange her broken(didn't turn on for no apparent reason) Macbook Air 64GB SSD at a local Apple Shop in Orlando but the "genius" there had to tell her that they don't have an exchange unit available and that she needs to wait until next week.

There is a value regarding the OS partition? Which one? I'm using OSX mostly for watching iTunes videos/TV shows/movies and for doing some iPhone developer stuff, otherwise Windows serves me much better since I need MS Office and a certified banking software with a certified smartcard reader which isn't available for OSX. Yes, I have Office 2008 for Mac too but I had so many problems with it over the past few weeks, I'm sick of it.

If you want something very portable and light, the Toshiba R500 with 64GB SSD(soon to be delivered with 128GB SSD, saw a prototype today at a dealer and it should be ready to go end of this month) is the best way to go. At merely 800 g of weight, it carries a superb and very outdoor capable 12'' transflective display, a 1.33GHz Core 2 Duo CPU and a built-in HSDPA modem. I love the R500, my wife has one(actually it was mine before) and this is a very reliable and powerful little fellow.

I still prefer the X300 because of the larger display and (for me) more convenient resolution.

Regarding the ThinkVantage stuff: I think that a lot of Lenovo buyers appreciate this "junk" but I agree with you that there should be an option to be able to delete at least the non-essential ThinkVantage stuff. Sony Vaio is even worse regarding this matter, 90% of the applications they supply with their Vaio laptops are CRAP and it already takes a very specific way to be able to remove this bloatware without leaving unpleasant and system-affecting traces behind.

Oh the other hand, I had to run a dual OS boot scenario with the Macbook Air, not really pleasant either since the Windows partition ate up around 18GB with merely a 2GB left for the swapfile and other minor stuff.
I learned to carry around my music/videos on a Trekstor micro 120GB external USB HDD, it is fast enough for playing videos without stuttering/etc. and it is VERY small. Take a look...120GB and not slow at all:

Note from Moderator: Please update your profile with your correct country location as per the forum rules. Products, options and services vary from market to market. Knowing your location helps us help you.

Message Edited by andyP on 04-14-2008 03:39 PM
X300 (6478-15G), Intel SL7100 CPU 1.2GHz and X3100 GPU, 3GB RAM, 64GB SSD, HSDPA, Vista Business 32bit, 6 cell and 3 cell bay battery
Options

71 Posts

03-18-2008

Miami

73 Signins

988 Page Views

• Message 33 of 46

2008-04-14, 16:46 PM
997TT,

Here is a quote from one of the biggest ThinkPad supporters in the industry, courtesy of NotebookReview.com

"Comparing it to a known item like a Thinkpad, it would beat it hands down, with no plastic creaking to boot! You would need to move into the realm of Panasonic Toughbooks to find something that would be an equal competitor."

Here is the link:

As for Apple Stores, there are over 200 world wide.

The X300 is a great product. It just has some challenges too.

If you are going to make a statement, please at least back it up. Misleading forum users does a great disservice.

T61 - X300 - D10
Options

71 Posts

03-18-2008

Miami

73 Signins

988 Page Views

• Message 34 of 46

2008-04-14, 17:04 PM
997TT,

Just for the record, i am sorry if this has become heated.

One last question for you, if you travel with your X300 to another country - and it needed immediate service- what would you do?

We travel across Europe frequently - I am looking at buying at least 11 X300s or Airs - but this is the big issue - what do we do for service in a foreign country? We cannot just pack up and fly home! There happens to be an Apple Store in every major city that we travel too... What would Lenovo's answer to that be?

Also, you mentioned you waited a few weeks for your apple product to be serviced. Well for $90 ive learned that i can walk into any store for priority service - it's called Pro Care -  thats pretty cool

i am trying to stay Lenovo - so please prove me wrong!

Thanks!
T61 - X300 - D10
Options

14 Posts

04-11-2008

Germany

11 Signins

221 Page Views

• Views: 221
  • Message 35 of 46

2008-04-16, 21:33 PM
Well, Julie, if you mean this:

Build quality is nothing short of amazing, and hands down one of the strongest notebooks I have ever felt. When closed the display cover does have some mild flex (give it a break, it's thin), but the real strength is the palmrest and keyboard structure. Formed from a block of aluminum with the internal cavity CNC machined, it is super strong. No flex is present when mashing down on the palmrest, and picking it up with both hands to try to flex the body is futile. Comparing it to a known item like a Thinkpad, it would beat it hands down, with no plastic creaking to boot! You would need to move into the realm of Panasonic Toughbooks to find something that would be an equal competitor.

Yes, indeed...a very professional and scientific approach. :smileytongue:

Regarding support options on an international level: I don't know what Apple offers in the US to US customers but the Apple Protection plan for the Macbook Air costs around 260 EUR in Germany. Not worth it in my opinion since the two year warranty(the protection plan provides an additional year) already covers pretty much everything with the exception of immediate repairs/exchanges. What do I do when my laptop stops working in another country? Pretty simple: since I travel mainly into western countries, I usually buy a replacement at the spot, no matter what the brand is. The reason is simple: I have my own business and I NEED my laptop. My data is usually secured onto two(!) portable flash/hdd drives I always carry with me on my trips. I also have a DVD with me with pretty much all the programs I need incl. install data like serials, etc. in an encrypted Truecrypt container. The same DVD can also be found as an ISO file on the 32GB flash drive and the 120GB USB HDD.

I once had a broken ACER Travelmate 8204 during a business trip(NEVER EVER buy ACER, I had THREE broken Acer laptops, never happened with other manufacturers) and I simply bought a Sony TX at the spot at a local Best Buy in the US(don't ask how dumb the sales guy was, horrible buying experience, he refused to sell me the latest Sony SZ model, the first with Core Duo because it was a show unit which had arrived a day earlier). After installing all my stuff from the ISO, I was up and running again in two hours, very nice. ;) I know this may not be the best solution(or the cheapest) but considering the importance of my business trips and meetings, the cost an additional laptop is just not really important.

Dell seems to offer a pretty decent service in Germany for their customers(as long as you bought the right protection package with the laptop) but I don't know much about their international options.

From a business user point of view, especially Toshiba, HP and Fujitsu Siemens seem to offer specialized packages with various service/warranty options for business people on the go over here in Germany. I didn't check with Lenovo's options simply because I never buy such packages. I NEVER had a broken laptop with the exception of the three Acers I mentioned an a broken battery(after four months usage only) on a HP 2710p(great unit by the way too).

I also wouldn't be able to use the Macbook Air for my business since I need a Windows laptop. I know that Bootcamp works fine but still... Over here in Germany, the Macbook Air is considered to be more of a design luxury object for people with money, not really a working tool. It works well though, no doubt. Not to mention the head-turner effect at customs, security checks, etc. ;)

Message Edited by 997TT on 04-16-2008 11:38 PM
X300 (6478-15G), Intel SL7100 CPU 1.2GHz and X3100 GPU, 3GB RAM, 64GB SSD, HSDPA, Vista Business 32bit, 6 cell and 3 cell bay battery
Options

302 Posts

12-12-2007

Germany, near Hamburg

310 Signins

8837 Page Views

• Views: 8837
  • Message 36 of 46

2008-04-16, 22:45 PM
An Apple store in every major european city (and/or any other notebook brand) with immediate priority service?  - Well, I don't know where those over optimistic outlooks do stem from, but they are in lose touch with the european reality and thus IMO more wishful thinking.

Even it might depend on the sort of hardware problems you have with a notebook in foreign countries, if the worst case takes place (...the panel or MoBo might be defect and must be exchanged etc.) you have mostly to wait more than one day before your problems get solved at all. Even if you have the best optional express, priority or on-site support contract. - The reasons therefor are mostly logistic handling, outsourcing, ordering replacement parts which are mostly not directly on-site or stocked available etc. etc. Another important point are different skilled/trained service and repairpersons, which nowadays mostly do stem from hired/contract third party service companies, with more or less knowledge of the matter.

In Hamburg (Germany) for example we don't have own Apple stores, just Apple dealer reselling stores and the like, which usually don't have a bunch of replacement parts stocked at all and thus you would have to wait  - A recently published notebook service and support report for notebooks showed, that even Apple customers have to wait at an average 9 days for a notebook repair. - As you can undoubtful see it's all relative here, no matter if it is an Apple, Lenovo or any other notebook brand.

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

Options

71 Posts

03-18-2008

Miami

73 Signins

988 Page Views

• Message 37 of 46

2008-04-18, 3:07 AM
another user just posted this information - which should address some of your comments -

It seems as if even IBM is thinking differently about Thinkpads.

T61 - X300 - D10
Options

1 Posts

04-18-2008

Dallas

2 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 38 of 46

2008-04-18, 8:17 AM
X300 is just adorable! But I'm still between ThinkPad and Macbook Air...
The choice is difficult, because in fact i don't need much from a computer.. so the Air might be my choice...
But I'm not so sure I want to have mac.

By the way, X300's ad is really hilarious: http://www.maconair.com/lenovo_puts_the_air_down

Moderator Note; converted to clickable link

Message Edited by andyP on 04-18-2008 11:44 AM
Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

United States of America

12810 Signins

291275 Page Views

• Views: 291275
  • Message 39 of 46

2008-04-19, 12:50 PM

wrote:
By the way, X300's ad is really hilarious: http://www.maconair.com/lenovo_puts_the_air_down
it's funny how the mac fanboys in that blog are so defensive about their precious macbook air being targeted by the X300 ad based solely on the words "art," "thin," and "no compromise."   that, to me, is what's hilarious. :smileyvery-happy:

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Options

302 Posts

12-12-2007

Germany, near Hamburg

310 Signins

8837 Page Views

• Views: 8837
  • Message 40 of 46

2008-04-19, 19:20 PM
Well it's always amusing to see how fanatic and religious people do or can get about some computer hardware and/or software, even these will be pretty soon again water under the bridge.

In contrast here those, who are long time working in the IT-business/-segment, usually know that the industry also lives a lot from kinds of show business like marketing, fan/believer community wars, gadget bashing ...and so on. - So experienced business people inside the IT-domain do usually stand above such banal quarrelings and for such people approved facts, their own made knowledge and experiences do count more than everything else.

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms