09-26-2018 08:03 AM
I purchased a X380 Yoga two weeks ago and realized when I received it that:
- there was no separate [Insert] key
- and the Insert function was not by default on the [End/Insert] key.
I clearly didn't pay attention to this detail prior to purchase the laptop.
For left handed people, it's a major issue!
We place the mouse on the left of the keyboard and we use the [Shift]+[Delete], [Ctrl]+[Insert] and [Shift]+[Insert] shortcuts located on the right of the keyboard for Cut/Copy/Paste (instead of [Ctrl]+[X], [Ctrl]+[C] and [Ctrl]+[V] located on the left of the keyboard).
Problem, on the X380 Yoga:
- there's no separate [Insert] key,
- the Insert function is not by default on the [End/Insert] key,
- the [FnLock] key does not affect the [End/Insert] key,
- I can't find any Lenovo setting to swap the End and Insert functions to set Insert by default
- and using [Fn]+[**bleep**]+[Insert] is also not an option as you need 2 hands and keys are 1 on the left and 2 on the right of the keyboard.
In fact, it looks like this [End/Insert] key has been an issue on several laptops for at least 5 years now!
In most cases, people wanted Fn keys by default, BUT... [FnLock] was also swaping the End and Insert functions, and right handed people were complaining about it as they had very rare use of the Insert function...
But for left handed people, it's the contrary. This behaviour would have been fine. But it's unfortunately not working like this on the X380 Yoga, at least not from firmware 1.17. [FnLock] is not swaping the End and Insert functions anymore.
So does anyone knows any trick or workaround to get Insert by default?
Ideally, it would:
- either be a dedicated fix/setting for this key
- or a fix linked back to [FnLock] (as if it can lock the Fn keys + Insert by default, it's fine for me and all left handed people).
Thanks for your help!
Solved! Go to Solution.
09-26-2018 08:34 AM
I don't have an x380 to test with, but in the BIOS under config/keyboard-mouse, there should be an option to set the top row to be function keys by default. How does that affect the insert/end keys?
10-01-2018 09:35 AM
The fix of AlexXXL initially developped to fix the contrary (bring back End by default), works like a charm for my need as basically the process to fix the issue is the same:
- if End pressed -> send Insert
- if Insert pressed -> send End