US

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 8

X390 Graphic Display Issues

2020-07-30, 8:48 AM

Hi all, 

My company just brought a batch of X390 20SCS00X00 models and had commissioned them a few days ago. While the user start using the laptop, they were all experienced the screen flickering problem. I have tried to download and install the newest graphic and chipset drivers but still it does not resolve the issue. Eventually i have also run a hardware diagnostic test and everything works fine. Can anyone enlighten me to resolve the issue? 

Options

475 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

69 Signins

3011 Page Views

• Views: 3011
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:X390 Graphic Display Issues

2020-07-30, 10:39 AM

@ Calvn wrote:

Hi all, 

My company just brought a batch of X390 20SCS00X00 models and had commissioned them a few days ago. While the user start using the laptop, they were all experienced the screen flickering problem. I have tried to download and install the newest graphic and chipset drivers but still it does not resolve the issue. Eventually i have also run a hardware diagnostic test and everything works fine. Can anyone enlighten me to resolve the issue? 

Hi there Calvn,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

When you say "Chipset drivers" , do you mean only for the Chipset or did you also update the Serial I.O and Management Engine (Interface) drivers ? I'd suggest doing this also.

Perform this step:

Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update 

- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.

- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.

- Click the "System Icon"

- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"

- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

Then try to completely uninstall the Display device from the Device Manager (+ drivers if prompted to do so). 

Uninstall VGA with drivers and reinstall:

- Press the Windows key + X and select "Device Manager"

- Expand "Display Adapters"

- Right click the AMD, NVIDIA and/or INTEL VGA devices and select "Uninstall"

- If prompted to uninstall drivers associated with the device, tick the box and continue.

- Perform a restart of the laptop. 

Reboot the computer and install the newest display drivers again from the Support site.

Just plot in the serial number for your device and hit enter, might have to hit it twice. Then head to Drivers & Software where you can find the various drivers.

In the event this does not work. Please see if the Flickering is present in the BIOS.

- Restart the computer. 

- When the logo screen is displayed, press F1 to enter the UEFI BIOS menu. 

- If the flickering is present then there is no software/driver issue, but a hardware issue.

- To further troubleshoot and if possible, try to connect external displays to the devices. If these do not flicker, then the discrete graphics card is fine.  We are then looking at a LCD, Cable fault with the machine.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

3629 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4298 Signins

48162 Page Views

• Views: 48162
  • Message 3 of 8

2020-07-30, 11:01 AM

If you are seeing this behavior only when the laptop is on batter power, see this article about disabling Display Power Saving Technology via the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.

How to Solve the Screen Flicker issue in PCs with Intel Graphics

https://www.digitional.com/how-to-solve-the-screen-flicker-issue-in-pcs-with-intel-graphics/

Best of luck, 

Options

3 Posts

07-30-2020

US

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2020-07-31, 1:13 AM
Hi Viothos, i have reinstalled all the chipset drivers including the I/O drivers and upgraded the BIOS that you mentioned, but it seems the problem is getting worse. Do you have any other solution?
Options

475 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

69 Signins

3011 Page Views

• Views: 3011
  • Message 5 of 8

2020-07-31, 10:33 AM

Hi

Is this happening to all the devices ? How many ? Are they all connected to something ?

Try disconnecting all cables, external devices from the X390's, then do a complete restart. Turn it completely off and then back on. Is it still flickering?

Also please report back if the flickering is present on startup and in the BIOS ? If it is, then this is a hardware issue and you should contact Lenovo Support directly for your country to see what can be done, most likely it will have to be sent in for a repair assessment by a certified technician.  Choose your country in the top right of the support page, then scroll down to the "Contact Us" area.

If there is no flickering on startup or bios, then the next I would do is to perform a factory reset of the device.

Reset your computer In the resetting process, you can choose to keep your files or remove them when you reinstall the operating system. 

Note: The items in the graphical user interface (GUI) might change without notice. 

1. Open the Start menu, and then click Settings ➙ Update & Security ➙ Recovery. 

2. In the Reset this PC section, click Get started. 3. Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your computer

When entering Windows again after reset, please disconnect the devices from the Internet so no auto updates start rolling, then perform the following:

Disabling Automatic Hardware Driver updates:

- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.

- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.

- Click the "System Icon"

- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"

- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

You can now reconnect to the internet and perform Windows and System updates as normal.

Hope this helps o/ 

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

3629 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4298 Signins

48162 Page Views

• Views: 48162
  • Message 6 of 8

2020-07-31, 12:15 PM

If it were me I would install the latest driver from Intel (Driver Version: 27.20.100.8581 dated July 27, 2020) on one of the systems and see if that resolves the issue.     The latest driver on Lenovo's support site for the x390 is version 26.20.100.7810, so the newer driver is worth a shot. 

If you are running an OEM (e.g. a Lenovo)  driver, it may give you a compatibility error, so to install the latest DCH driver from Intel, you must first switch to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver as detailed below..   

Before starting, download the latest Intel DCH driver for your graphics adapter and disconnect any external monitors for the time being.

• Right-click on Start and select Device Manager
  • Click on "Display Adapters" to expand, and then double-click on your Intel HD Graphics adapter
  • Select the Driver tab -> "Update Driver" -> "Browse my computer for driver software" -> "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
  • Select “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter”
  • Click “Next” (note that your screen resolution will likely change when it switches to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver).
  • Close Device Manager
  • Reboot if prompted

You should now be able to install the latest Intel DCH driver installer successfully.

Options

3 Posts

07-30-2020

US

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2020-08-05, 3:53 AM

Hi JD, 

it doesn't work after applying your method. But anyway thank you for your guidance.

@ JDGillis wrote:

If it were me I would install the latest driver from Intel (Driver Version: 27.20.100.8581 dated July 27, 2020) on one of the systems and see if that resolves the issue.     The latest driver on Lenovo's support site for the x390 is version 26.20.100.7810, so the newer driver is worth a shot. 

If you are running an OEM (e.g. a Lenovo)  driver, it may give you a compatibility error, so to install the latest DCH driver from Intel, you must first switch to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver as detailed below..   

Before starting, download the latest Intel DCH driver for your graphics adapter and disconnect any external monitors for the time being.

• Right-click on Start and select Device Manager
  • Click on "Display Adapters" to expand, and then double-click on your Intel HD Graphics adapter
  • Select the Driver tab -> "Update Driver" -> "Browse my computer for driver software" -> "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
  • Select “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter”
  • Click “Next” (note that your screen resolution will likely change when it switches to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver).
  • Close Device Manager
  • Reboot if prompted

You should now be able to install the latest Intel DCH driver installer successfully.

Options

3 Posts

07-30-2020

US

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2020-08-05, 5:39 AM

I can confirm that the Intel DCH graphics driver is creating the screen flickering problem, when i installed the latest driver the problem still persist. Currently im using the Microsoft default display driver which it works fine but it will not detect the HDMI output.  Do you guys have any other suggestion on the intel display driver?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete