Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

07-09-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

16 Signins

110 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 110
  • Message 1 of 7

X395 YouTube Lag

2021-04-19, 6:47 AM

Hello,

I've noticed that my ThinkPad X395 tends to struggle with YouTube. I believe it has always done this and is nothing new, but it does get on my nerves. YouTube videos become unwatchable due to the huge frame skipping that occurs. I've tried changing the advanced power plan settings (although I do still believe this might be where I'm most likely to fix it), boosting the Ryzen 3500U's power limit with Ryzen Controller, installing and enabling the chrome extension h264ify, ensuring there's more than enough RAM available, etc.

It's definitely a problem with software as opposed to being caused by a weak internet connection because my broadband can more than handle the workload, and the video is shown to have loaded in far ahead of the current timestamp. This can occur with any video, but only happens about 70%-80% of the time and isn't dependant on whether or not the device is plugged into the 65W charger.

The weirdest part in my opinion is that when I rewind the video in hope that I can watch it without the frame skips this time, it makes no difference - as far as I can tell, the frame skips occur in exactly the same place. I think it has something to do with either the RAM or the iGPU (which does seem to peak in usage during these moments), but I also think it's being caused by a setting somewhere. Please advise, and thank you ever so much in advance.

Regards,

George

Options

3222 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

257 Signins

16295 Page Views

• Views: 16295
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:X395 YouTube Lag

2021-04-19, 14:45 PM

Hello GeorgeMath,

Greetings

Kindly try to create a new power plan wherein settings are for maximum performance.
Try to uninstall-reinstall chrome app.
Make sure that BIOS and drivers are up to date thru the support site

You may also check some tips from a related topic here in the forums:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1Extreme-Massive-lag-while-playing-videos/m-p/4404819

Hope this helps

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

15 Posts

07-09-2019

16 Signins

110 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-04-19, 15:07 PM

Thank you for getting back to me, I've just had another mess around with the power plan and have changed the minimum processor state from 0% to 5%. I've also checked for any BIOS or driver updates just in case something has been added in the past month - which it hasn't fortunately/unfortunately. I've just loaded up a few different videos and haven't experienced the problem so far. Hopefully it stays that way; thank you again for your help.

Regards,

George

Options

15 Posts

07-09-2019

16 Signins

110 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-04-20, 14:12 PM

Hello again,

It turns out the problem is still occurring, do you have any other suggestions for what I could do to fix this?

I'm more than happy to send over any logs or details.

Regards,

George

Options

3222 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

257 Signins

16295 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-04-21, 13:45 PM

Ideally, you can try playing a saved video on the machine to check if this is an issue with streaming something or with the graphics or player issue.
You can also improve streaming by unticking the box for power management as shown here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005879/wireless/legacy-intel-wireless-products.html

Use another browser to play youtube videos.
Also try to disable graphic accelerator.
While streaming, open CMD to check and type ping google.com-t 
This would show if the signal is continuous or there are packets lost just in case it is a network issue.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

15 Posts

07-09-2019

16 Signins

110 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-04-21, 14:12 PM

Thank you for your help Lorenzo, I actually played around with some of the HDR, video, & colour settings earlier and that seems to have improved things quite a bit - although they're optimised for video quality still (maybe there were some conflicting settings).

My GPU usage has dropped from around 100% on 1080p videos to around 66% on 4k videos. This is a strong indication that something somewhere has changed significantly. I ran the ping test anyway and, although it varied rather a lot, it easily averaged at 20ms.

If the problem occurs again, I'll try the other things you suggested (I don't want to ruin it now that it seems to work fine) and respond to this thread with the solution that worked. Until then, if anyone else experiences what I did, look into the HDR, video, & colour settings throughout Windows. Thank you again Lorenzo, your assistance is hugely appreciated.

Options

3222 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

257 Signins

16295 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-05-04, 20:12 PM

You're welcome.
Thank you for updating us here
Stay safe

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms