Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

40 Posts

06-03-2008

Brisbane Australia

84 Signins

264 Page Views

• Views: 264
  • Message 181 of 275

Re: X60 - Screen flickers and screen shutoff - problem with power management or hardware failure?

2009-02-25, 19:36 PM

Just a reminder.....I had to re-image my hard-drive to return to an older version of the Intel Chip driver

No problems since....have not attempted any updates for the Video graphics

Re-imaging works and after sending in my computer twice with no one even interested in looking in the problem on a software side, I re-imaged myself. This is Lenovo's approach to the problem....don't expect them to do anything else.

Options

2 Posts

02-25-2009

Los Angeles, CA

7 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 182 of 275

Re: X60 - Screen flickers and screen shutoff - problem with power management or hardware failure?

2009-02-25, 19:37 PM
Thanks, I'll go back and search for the drivers.  I am running Vista Business 32-bit so one of the links I downloaded from apparently were not compatible when I tried to install them.  I'll comb through the thread to find one that will work on my system and hope that works.
Options

2 Posts

02-27-2009

Sudan

3 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 183 of 275

2009-02-27, 21:27 PM

I've got 3 X60 systems (out of about 15) with the exact problem mentioned in the thread. The only common factor is being on XP and battery power--I'm unable to reproduce when and how it will happen, just that once the screen starts jiggling, it will eventually blank out (sometimes a white screen, usually black). Putting it into standby and bringing back will usually correct it. Or running for AC power and plugging it in will obviously stop the problem.

I can exclude XP SP2 or SP3 (it does it on both), the battery itself (tried using old/new batteries) and all power management settings (from trying to most agressive to always-on).

6363-46U. If anybody from Lenovo is monitoring this thread, the case # I just opened is 32QCQYL  They want me to run the systems toolbox before proceeding.

You'd think that multiple 16+ page threads would inspire them to do a little more though. Oh well... I will update everyone when I learn more (I have tried rolling back the video driver as others seemed to have a little luck with--not me)

Options

39 Posts

01-08-2009

France

46 Signins

492 Page Views

• Views: 492
  • Message 184 of 275

2009-03-03, 5:36 AM

As I got no time to re-image the HDD (like FemRev advises), I run my system with any graphics drivers... I didn't experience any flickering or blank screen since then... but I can't use any graphics options.

In addition to the flickering, I experienced a problem with screen calibration: it means that when installing any drivers version, my screen display is not anymore centered but a little bit left-positionned...

Very annoying that Lenovo still has not taken this issue more seriously!!

Well, just try to keep this thread on the top.

Options

3 Posts

08-31-2008

IL, USA

30 Signins

239 Page Views

• Views: 239
  • Message 185 of 275

2009-03-07, 0:06 AM

Another otherwise happy x60s owner reporting in... have had the problem for over a year.  Before I found this forum, I sent it in to Lenovo - of course, it wasn't fixed.

I apologize if something similar is elsewhere in this thread - I didn't have time to review the entire 19 pages...

I too sent a message to Mark:

Did you get any volunteers?  I have an x60s that is exhibiting the black screen & rare light blue (but not BSOD) while on battery.  I have found that FN f7 will revive the display.

His reply (09/04/08)

No, I haven't brought any volunteers in but believe we have some other samples.  I'll pass along your findings - I've neglected the thread and this issue for a while.   There are many things to chase.

I really appreciate your PM and sharing your discovery.  That really means a lot.

Thanks!

Mark

I'll be watching more closely to see if there ever is a fix...

Options

4 Posts

03-07-2009

Mass

5 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 186 of 275

2009-03-07, 17:31 PM

Well, I stumbed into here like everyone else.

Have had this problem for awhlie now, and finally did some investigating.  Not only does my screen randomly turn black but also something even more annoying is that I get the blue screen of death whenever I start using an external display.  So if I put my screen on my tv through vga cable I'm just asking for trouble.  Because if I bring that screen from extended desktop back to just my laptop I instantly get blue screen of death.  Or If I use another monitor and then just take the cable out because I know if I do anything else I'm gonna get the blue screen.  I can't go into sleep mode once or I get a bluescreen.

So basically if I want to use a dual display I need to shutdown my computer to turn it off.

And if I don't the blue screen comes, then I need to restart in safe mode, then restart again into normal mode.

And I use a dual display daily. 

If someone could explain to me exactly what they mean by re - imaging their drives I'm willing to take a shot at that.  

I know what imaging is, I use acronis true image.  So do I just make a full back up.  Then go back to a older driver, then put the image back on?

I don't understand.

thanks guys

and shame on intel/lenovo for not taking this serious, I was hopeing to come on here and just download something finally to fix it.  Come to find out, its been an on going problem with no support. 

Options

40 Posts

06-03-2008

Brisbane Australia

84 Signins

264 Page Views

• Views: 264
  • Message 187 of 275

2009-03-07, 20:24 PM
re-imaging is part of rescue and recovery on the thinkvantage menu...it returns the hard drive to its factory settings. use the transfer to new computer to keep all your files. back-up everything that is not microsoft on a seperate memory stick. you have to reload or download software. if you simple copy the drive and reload it, it will use the new settings for video and you are back where you started. It took me a couple of days to do this, but I have not had a problem since. when I update, I have not downloaded any video updates....all the rest okay.
Options

4 Posts

03-07-2009

Mass

5 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 188 of 275

2009-03-07, 21:01 PM

What if the drive I have in my x60 isn't the one I originally got with the machine?

I have a new drive it in.

Options

39 Posts

01-08-2009

France

46 Signins

492 Page Views

• Views: 492
  • Message 189 of 275

2009-03-08, 0:03 AM

Here is the latest reply I got from Mark:

Phildak,

Honestly, Inconclusive.  I believe this is clearly a driver / PM interaction and NOT hardware because earlier drivers seem to improve the results.

There are new drivers coming and we have them on FTP site, but not released to the web yet.

Mark

Options

1 Posts

03-25-2009

san jose

2 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 190 of 275

2009-03-25, 21:35 PM

My x60 tablet has similar problem. Mine is vista business os. Every time when I am playing vidio, I mostly play rmvb video, but I believe it the video format does not matter. Screen will shut down within around 10 minutes video playing.

I know that because I bring it to gym, and watch video when I workout.

When surfing the web or editing documents, it would not happen.

I wish there is a fix soon, since it's been quite a long time.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms