Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

08-28-2009

United States

1 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 221 of 275

Still happens in Windows 7

2009-08-28, 1:33 AM

I've been having this random flickers/screen shutoff problem with my X60s running Windows Vista Business (32-bit) at least once a day while on battery.

Recently I updated the OS to Windows 7 Professional (32-bit) and still have this problem (the OS was obtained via MSNDAA). The update was done with clean install, not via upgrade. There is no rollback option for the video driver; it's running the latest and also only Windows 7 driver for the Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset from Intel [15.12.75.1.1825 (8.15.10.1825)].

For the staffs that said you cannot reproduce this problem, how about I send in my X60s and you send me back one of those test-proof unit? My unit still has 1 year warranty, but from the previous posts it seem Lenovo isn't doing anything to fix this issue.

All the laptops I have purchased so far have been Thinkpads costing between 1.5-2k USD. I loved the supports I received while it was still under IBM. It made me felt I made the right purchase. I'm not too sure that my next laptop purchase will be a Thinkpad (or Lenovo for that matter) if the issue I'm having isn't addressed 100%.

Thanks!

Options

40 Posts

06-03-2008

Brisbane Australia

84 Signins

264 Page Views

• Views: 264
  • Message 222 of 275

Re: Still happens in Windows 7

2009-08-28, 6:45 AM

I have been addressing this issue for about 15 months. I have done everything suggested in this blog....without success. I repeat my experience....Lenovo has addressed this issue with hardware fixes and it a software problem. Lenovo is not interested in our issue and as this system becomes older we have less hope of a fix. I have emailed, called, written....and no response. We are all there is....and now I have learned Windows 7 is not a fix. so sad.....

Options

9 Posts

04-02-2009

Granville, OH

23 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 223 of 275

Re: Still happens in Windows 7

2009-08-28, 17:25 PM

So I actually got rid of the flickering problem during the summer.. I have done two things that could have stopped it, 1. I have installed, and switched over to using, Windows 7 Ultimate Release Candidate (Evaluation copy. Build 7100) 2. I have replaced my broken screen hinge on my X60 Tablet.

Since the flickering stop pretty much right after I installed Win7 I just assumed that the new OS fixed the problem but I am running a double boot and my old Vista Ultimte OS is not flickering anymore either which could be a little bit tricky to explain. I also see that other people here are experiencing the same flickering in Win7.

The other thing I did was to replace my broken screen hinge (bought a new one online for $20 with shipping). Right before the summer the right arm on the hinge broke and my screen wasnt holding up itself to a 100% if I opened it to far, way beyond 45degrees that is. I also noticed that the whole computer would shutoff if I was messing with the screen position to much. However I think it was around this stage that I did not have any flickering anymore. Later the left arm of the hinge broke as well and now the screen wasnt holding up at all. I had to put something behind the screen to prop it up or it would fall down and hit the table. At this point the computer was very prone to shutting off if the screen wasnt kept fixed. I bought a new hinge and replaced the broken one but was still suffering from the computer shutting off when messing with the screen to my much, especially when trying to spin it around to tablet mode. So I opened it up again to hunt down the cause of this, turns out that one of the bigger cables from the screen that goes through the hinge had been rubbing against a metal piece of the shell during screen movement and caused the cable insulation to tear off. Now the metall had direct contact with the wires during screen movement and it caused the short circuits that would kill the computer. My solution was to re isolate the cable and the metal piece with some electrical tape to avoid contact and more tearing. Now Im back to no flickering and no computer shutoffs.

I wonder if this metal piece messing with the screen cables going through the hinge could  be the cause of the flickering as well? Is it only X60/61 "Tablet" users that have reported the flickering or also the "non-tablet" users?

Maybe someone else can unscrew the screws and check what their cables looks like? It is the bigger string of cables (possibly the screen power cables?) that lead up to the left after going through the hinge. I will try to open it again and take pictures of the area.

Another though is that I have just happened to touch something while I was messing around that cause the stop of the flickering.

Options

32 Posts

10-27-2008

USA

44 Signins

313 Page Views

• Views: 313
  • Message 224 of 275

I don't think it's hardware

2009-08-28, 18:28 PM

I don't think it's a hardware issue at all because rolling back the driver seems to fix the problem in most cases. Also, I wiped windows and now run Linux on my X60s and don't suffer from any screen flickering at all. If it was hardware then the problem would still persist.

I personally think it a combination of the video driver and power management driver conflicting in some way. I never tried but I wonder if the combination of an old PM driver with a new video driver works or if it definitely is a newer video driver that is the cause.

I'm completely amazed how this thread has been ignored. At one point a couple of the mods made a comment or two but other than that it went nowhere. They don't even bother commenting or replying now. I know they are volunteers but they are our voice to Lenovo. Perhaps they were told to ignore this - what else can it be?

As I said, I no longer use windows on my X60s and since then don't experience any flickering problems so it's not hardware. Don't bother sending your laptop in for service. It's a waste of time!

X60s 1704-56G
Yoga 2 10.1 Windows 8.1 (Yoga Tablet 2 - 1051F)
Options

9 Posts

04-02-2009

Granville, OH

23 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 225 of 275

Re: I don't think it's hardware

2009-08-28, 18:53 PM

so then it mustve been my upgrade to Windows 7 Release Canidate (build 7100) that solved the flickering for me. Too bad it doesnt seem to work for everyone.. Upgrading to Win7 is worth a try for any XP or Vista user anyhow, it is such a faster, simpler and smarter OS.

Options

14 Posts

05-03-2009

United States of America

28 Signins

136 Page Views

• Views: 136
  • Message 226 of 275

2009-08-28, 22:15 PM

Keeping this info on the latest page for newly identified victims.

Bottom line as I see it:  

1. This is a video driver problem
  2. If you have XP and can, roll back to 4450 (others have reported success with later versions)
  3. If you have Vista you are basically screwed.  No one has posted any link to a functioning V32 driver.
  4. You can find a link to a backlevel XP driver on p.21 or thereabouts.
  5. {Windows 7, Linux} may or may not help.
  6. LENOVO WILL NOT HELP.  Don't waste your time.  Lenovo will say its a hardware problem because that's all they know and charge you big bux to do basically nothing when you ship them your PC.
Options

39 Posts

01-08-2009

France

46 Signins

492 Page Views

• Views: 492
  • Message 227 of 275

2009-08-29, 13:47 PM

What distribution of Linux did you install?

I really think that it's a problem with the PM software and the graphic driver...

As I tried to rollback the graphic driver to 4450, it did stop the flickering problem but I then experienced a problem with the display of the image. It wasn't anymore centered!

I run Xp pro sp3 on my x60s with the latest version of Power Management (PM) but I did not install any graphic driver!

It works fine but I can't read a video or play a game properly!

If someone from technical support reads this post, PLEASE, advise your manager about this issue.

Thanks and keep this thread up!

Options

14 Posts

05-03-2009

United States of America

28 Signins

136 Page Views

• Views: 136
  • Message 228 of 275

2009-08-29, 14:06 PM

I really don't think this is a Lenovo issue but rather a problem with the Intel driver.  If however you think Lenovo is inpenetrable, try getting through to Intel.

Options

39 Posts

01-08-2009

France

46 Signins

492 Page Views

• Views: 492
  • Message 229 of 275

2009-08-30, 10:04 AM

I agree that we could contact Intel but how? I think that this job owes to Lenovo technical support! They must have some contacts with Intel technical support.

Could someone contact one of the admins of this forum and ask him if he could reach a tech at Intel's support team?

Options

32 Posts

10-27-2008

USA

44 Signins

313 Page Views

• Views: 313
  • Message 230 of 275

2009-08-31, 10:35 AM

wrote:

What distribution of Linux did you install?

I really think that it's a problem with the PM software and the graphic driver...

I installed openSUSE 11.1 and have no issues with PM or video. I agree with you that it's probably a combination of the PM and video drivers.

If it's ultimately an Intel problem then it's still up to Lenovo to escalate the problem to the relevant Intel department. Also, if it's an Intel issue then I would think you'd experience this problem with other laptops with similar chipsets.

All we can do is keep this thread going.

X60s 1704-56G
Yoga 2 10.1 Windows 8.1 (Yoga Tablet 2 - 1051F)
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms