Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

39 Posts

01-08-2009

France

46 Signins

492 Page Views

• Views: 492
  • Message 231 of 275

Re: I don't think it's hardware

2009-08-31, 16:01 PM

wrote:

wrote:

What distribution of Linux did you install?

I really think that it's a problem with the PM software and the graphic driver...

I installed openSUSE 11.1 and have no issues with PM or video. I agree with you that it's probably a combination of the PM and video drivers.

If it's ultimately an Intel problem then it's still up to Lenovo to escalate the problem to the relevant Intel department. Also, if it's an Intel issue then I would think you'd experience this problem with other laptops with similar chipsets.

All we can do is keep this thread going.

Thanks for your information. Can you fully use your x60?

Options

32 Posts

10-27-2008

USA

44 Signins

313 Page Views

• Views: 313
  • Message 232 of 275

2009-08-31, 17:30 PM

wrote:

Thanks for your information. Can you fully use your x60?

Yes, but there are a couple things not fully working as they did in XP.  I am using the KDE4.3 desktop and some of the Fn keys are not working, i.e. Fn F2, F3, F4, F8 and F9. these did work when i was using the Gnome desktop though so there is a key mapping problem in KDE which I haven't looked at resolving yet.  Also, the dock / undock doesn't work as elegantly as in XP but it works with a few tweaks. But battery life is as good if not better as it can be tweaked more finely, video is as good, I seem to get better wifi range in Linux, you can also turn down the Tx power so you don't get as much heat build up as you do in XP.

I now use Linux as my primary OS on the X60S and I run my business from it so it gets worked hard. I won't mislead you and say that Linux is 100% but some tweaking and configuring it's 95% I'd say and plenty good enough to do your daily work on unless you want to run heavy graphics apps.

The important thing is no more screen flickering.

If you're not familiar with Linux you could try Ubuntu as it's supposed to be the easiest for newbies but ultimately not as easily configurable rom what I have read. Just download a few of the live CDs from the various distributions and give it a try.

X60s 1704-56G
Yoga 2 10.1 Windows 8.1 (Yoga Tablet 2 - 1051F)
Options

39 Posts

01-08-2009

France

46 Signins

492 Page Views

• Message 233 of 275

2009-08-31, 18:51 PM

Thanks a lot for the details! I will try to have a look on Ubuntu.

And up for the flickering screen problem!

Options

39 Posts

01-08-2009

France

46 Signins

492 Page Views

• Message 234 of 275

2009-09-03, 10:03 AM

Up for this thread!

Options

1 Posts

09-03-2009

San Francisco, CA

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 235 of 275

Re: X60 - Screen flickers and screen shutoff - problem with power management or hardware failure?

2009-09-10, 1:52 AM

I have something simliar on my fresh out of the box X200s (with LED based WXGA+ screen)

Not sure if this is the same, if anyone can confirn that this is or is not related to the issue in this thread that would be very helpful.

While actively using the computer the screen seems to go into a battery conserve mode - screen goes form full bright to 1 bar of brightness - OSD shows the same, then within seconds it returns to normal. This looks as if it were a power mgmnt issue but it's occuring while I'm typing, scroling, etc. not when it's supposed to be (when it's not being used).

Happens every few minutes, and it's mighty annoying.

Options

3 Posts

09-22-2009

san francisco

4 Signins

16 Page Views

• Message 236 of 275

Re: X60 - Screen flickers and screen shutoff - problem with power management or hardware failure?

2009-09-22, 20:45 PM

I've owned an X60T tablet version of this notebook for about 2 months and have shipped it to Lenovo twice (under warranty). I was experiencing the same issues with the flickering and screen shutdowns with the unit going into sleep mode. 

1st service: Lenovo tightened the base where the monitor attaches to the body and secured the hard drive with a tray into the SATA connector (bought unit used and hard drive tray was missing). Lenovo also reformatted and reinstalled XP. I thought perhaps either the loose monitor or unsecured drive was causing the flicker and shut downs because of loose power connections. Got the computer back and experienced the same issue, only the flicker and shutdowns occurred more often! Things actually got worse!

Frustrated, I installed a 32 GB ssd drive and installed Windows 7 hoping this would help. Nope. Aside from the amazing performance of an ssd, the problems persisted. 

2nd service: currently being done. Not sure what Lenovo will do, but I'll update this post.  

I've read all the comments regarding this problem with the X60 and I'm not convinced it's related to a video driver. I have the tablet version and have never experienced problems in tablet mode when the monitor is flat and secured. I've only experienced problems when the notebook, particularly the monitor, is moved. This occurs most often on the train during my commute into work. 

Anyone else with a tablet X60 experiencing the same thing?

One positive in this whole annoying experience has been Lenovo's customer service. The response and turnaround time for service is amazing! If Lenovo had customer service like AT&T, I would throw the notebook into a river and purchase a Fujitsu instead.

Options

47 Posts

04-05-2008

Germany

66 Signins

873 Page Views

• Views: 873
  • Message 237 of 275

2009-09-22, 21:32 PM

Hello gnava00,

welcome to the board...

If you read the whole thread you would see, that we already confirmed - verifyable - that we linked the problem starting with a certain level of device driver. It worked fine with older drivers, bad with newer.

I spent a hell lot time ... went forward and backward. Also had my machine in warranty - they didn't find any hardware problem. My workaround is the older driver... currently 6.14.10.4860. It might be related to side effects with other drivers...

Hey - but please lets stop discussing potentially other issues besides the video driver within this thread. This one is related to a faulty driver - unless Lenovo proves us wrong. Maybe your system has a different problem, then please start a new thread.

Don't take my comments personally. Many people in this thread - including me - are frustrated by the ignorance of Lenovo with this widely existing problem...

So far we received not a single searious real interest in getting this solved by Lenovo, which let me appear the forum as a "Potemkin Village"....

Have a nice day.

Options

3 Posts

09-22-2009

san francisco

4 Signins

16 Page Views

• Message 238 of 275

2009-09-23, 16:28 PM

Thanks dsp, no offense taken. We're all here to try and figure out how to solve these maddening problems so we can go on with our lives..

I'm sure there are many like yourself who've spent countless hours determining the problem to be with the video driver. And for that we are thankful. I am passing on my observations with my particular machine. As I said, when used in tablet mode, I experience no problems whatsoever. I've even taken to writing my memos, in tablet mode, just so I can complete my tasks without the notebook going to sleep.  This, to me, appears unrelated to the driver. 

I am running my machine with an ssd drive and windows 7, which is a fantastic setup. I am not willing to keep using xp with older drivers or linux, just to use the X60; I'd rather buy a different notebook. 

If Lenovo fixes my problem with hardware repairs, I will start a new thread so folk with similar symptoms know how to resolve the problem.

Options

21 Posts

10-11-2009

Colorado Springs, CO, US

144 Signins

584 Page Views

• Views: 584
  • Message 239 of 275

2009-10-11, 19:39 PM

Firstly, my apoligies for bumping up this older thread.

I may have found relief for Vista users with this problem, but as I haven't bumped up to Vista yet(I am waiting for the Ultrabase I ordered to get here) I haven't been able to test this out.

According to this thread on Thinkpads.com ( http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=62561 ) A user reported he solved his screen flickering problem with a driver version of 7.14.10.1329. Unfortunately the link to the older driver doesn't work. The relevant post is at the bottom of the page.

However, after much searching I found where you can find it. Try this site:

http://www.birseyindir.net/pdriver/notebook/

Search for 7ad528ww.exe; this is the correct version you're looking for. Please keep in mind I have not tested this one out yet. Once I get my Ultrabase in I plan on getting Vista on here and testing it out. This may even work for Win7 users with the same issue. I hope this helps.

Update: I am now running Vista Ultimate x86 SP1 on my X60s and using these drivers. I have been on battery power for about an hour and have not had any flickering or blanking problems. I don't want to sound premature about this, but this driver seems to be old enough to not cause any problems.

ThinkPads:
T400(2765-T6U), T500(2082-3HU), X200(7458-AE3)
T21(2647-8BU), 380ED(2635-7AU)
Options

1 Posts

10-15-2009

Amsterdam

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Message 240 of 275

Re: 7.15.10.1329 -Vista Driver doesn't have the flicker issue

2009-10-15, 20:20 PM

I've downgraded my Vista video driver to the 7.15.10.1329 and the video flicker stopped in my X60s.

Note that Automatic windows updates will try to reinstall the newer version, so you should not allow it and hide it permanently from the updates.

Here extra info:

7ad528ww.exe
(7.15.10.1329-this version does NOT have the flicker issue)

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/7ad528ww.exe

7ad530ww.exe

(7.15.10.1437-this version HAS the flicker issue and windows Vista will try to install it automatically with the updates.)

If someone has a better workaround, please let me know.

Cheers,

Marcello

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms