Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

08-19-2010

netherlands

1 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 1 of 3

X60 can't control fan speed

2010-08-19, 18:17 PM

Hi,

i have an old x60 thinkpad and it gets preety hot. I'd like to be able to increase the fan speed. I flashed the newest bios for it (2.18) and i looked all through the bios but there is no option for changing fan speed or even enabling/disabling bios control of the fan.

I tried a program called thinkpad fan control and it won't let me change the fan speed as it says that the speed is 'bios controlled'.

Please help me, this thing get so hot it burns to the touch. Thanks very much.

Options

122 Posts

03-11-2009

Southeastern US

289 Signins

2371 Page Views

• Views: 2371
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: X60 can't control fan speed

2010-08-19, 19:43 PM
If TP Fan Control didn't work, you can't adjust the fan speed. If you go to the Lenovo support site, you can download the hardware maintenance manual for your model. There you can find instruction on how to remove the fan. I would suggest finding the fan and carefully cleaning it out, along with any other parts of the laptop that are dusty. If you are feeling adventurous, you can also remove the heatsink from the CPU, clean it and re-install it with new thermal compound (google for details on this, it is the same process as on a desktop CPU). Lastly, if the fan is not working well (or at all), you could try replacing the fan with a new one. Use the hardware maintenance manual to find the part number for your fan and search the internet for a place selling it; eBay is a good bet. You could also buy it from IBM (which provides service & support for ThinkPads), but it might be expensive.
Options

4689 Posts

01-22-2010

United States of America

39008 Signins

597521 Page Views

• Views: 597521
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: X60 can't control fan speed

2010-08-22, 3:02 AM

there are different versions of tpfancontrol.  i have version 21 installed in x32s and an x30 and it works perfect.  but that's not to say that that version will work in an x60.  did you look at the readme files in the installation. there are some configurations that you have to change to get it to work in smart mode or manual mode.  i have mine so i can turn it on manually also.  there's a list of all versions and some discussions on tpfancontrol in forum.thinkpads.com

they're under thinkpad utility work area, scroll down at the index page.  i'm sure someone there has a fan control working in an x60 and can give pointers on how to get it to work and which version to use.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms