Did you mean: 
picturespecial
Paper Tape
Views: 2,592
Message 1 of 4

X61 Battery Gauge shows 70% then next it shows 2%, system goes into standby

Hi All,

I have been having this problem with my X61 lately,

Full charge, unplug adapter, after using to about 70% on the battery gauge, then suddenly the comp goes into standby. When resume, it only shows 2% left.

Battery is 14 months old, any chance that I could get a replacement by lenovo??

Any help would be grateful.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,577
Message 2 of 4

Re: X61 Battery Gauge shows 70% then next it shows 2%, system goes into standby

that means couple of your battery cells are faulty. 

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=BATT-082009

check the above link for battery replacement eligibility. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
picturespecial
Paper Tape
Views: 2,531
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for recommending the site.

I was aware of this diagnostic tool before my post when I read the sticky thread in the forums.

This issue took me a good two full days to resolve finally.

1. I went to Thinkpad svc ctr in Singapore, and after assessment, they say they can't replace me a battery since it is out of warrenty. (outside 1yr). Then I insist on the replacement since I have the symtoms of what is described in the link. But the service crew still did not accept my request and escalated to Lenovo Care in Malaysia, supposed their asia regional HQ. There, the customer crew is even more inpolite. This lady Pritam who handled my case didn't even understand my case for battery replacement and rejected flat out. I gave up and took back my Thinkpad X61.

2. I updated all the power management drivers and Battery Gauge software, rebooted and redo the battery calibration. When its completed, it finally shows a poor condition battery. I ran the battery diagnostic tool and returned positive and redirected me to a page asking for my mailing address to ship me the new battery.

Just receieved my tracking number... finally resolved.

Its really sad that the crew in the thinkpad svc center did not take necessary steps to help me resolve the problem, instead I have to get it solved myself.

Guess, it'll be my last thinkpad already. Lenovo is no longer like IBM which is customer driven.

FYI, IBM thinkpad svc centre now are acting as a service provider to Lenovo, so even though their service attitude is excellent and responsive, they really regret not being able to help me because Lenovo have to agree to absorb the cost, else the case won't proceed.

For those with similar battery problems, the best is to use the diagnostic tool and don't waste your time with the customer care people.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,515
Message 4 of 4

the battery replacement outside of your standard 1 year warranty, can only occur through the online diagnostic tool, customer service personnels can't help you with such problems in regards to out of warranty battery replacement. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors