Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 6 (2,986 Views)

X61 - Rescue & Recoveery 3.0 : "An internal error has caused this process to fail"

Upon booting up on the Rescue and Recovery CD and selecting:

Restore your system > Factory settings > Do not save any files

When I click next to begin the process, I get this error:

"An internal error has caused this process to fail"

Memory is good. Hard drive is new and good. Could it be an incompatibility between Rescue and Recovery 3.0 and the X61?

This works perfectly on X60's.

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 2 of 6 (2,973 Views)

Re: X61 - Rescue & Recoveery 3.0 : "An internal error has caused this process to fail"

Is this a brand new hdd with no recovery partition or with recovery partition? 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 6 (2,963 Views)

Re: X61 - Rescue & Recoveery 3.0 : "An internal error has caused this process to fail"

No - I should have clarified: It's the correct part # IBM drive for the system. I have 2 X61's, one is damaged from a fall and the one that I am trying to install to needed a hard drive.

I removed the drive from the damaged laptop, did my own testing on it, installed it into the X61 I am now working with and ran the Hard Drive utility - the drive is solid.

There is no partition on the drive, revocery or otherwise.

What's DOS?
Message 4 of 6 (2,962 Views)

Apprently I am fat fingering all my typing today:

There is no partion on the drive - RECOVERY or otherwise.

The hard drive utility I ran just as an extra measure exists in the bios.

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 5 of 6 (2,959 Views)

Okay, the recovery media that you need to reinstall the recovery partition hdd should be a 3 DVD set, the first discs are for initialising the rescue and recovery, the other 2 discs are your OS and drivers. Unless you have this 3 DVD set, then you can't recover to the factory partition.

On the case that you did burn the recovery 3 DVD set and it doesn't work, then you should proceed to call Lenovo and inform them what had happened (you burn the recovery medias, but they have an error on them, and they would be at their discretion send you these discs through overnight courier at their own expense). 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 6 (2,686 Views)

Rescue & Recoveery 3.0 : "An internal error has caused this process to fail"-T61p

[ Edited ]

Solved!

Luckily, my original 160GB drive was still alive. So, I could clone it directly to the new 500GB drive by using Acronis True Image and following these instructions:

http://kb.acronis.com/content/2931

After that, I was able to restore the backup from the USB drive.

As consequence of this, I will not use Backup and Recovery any longer.

Obviously, this software is unable to restore anything, unless it has its own hidden partition on the target FDD. In the case of a disk crash, this is not the case, leaving your backup data as a  worthless bunch of bytes.

Hi,

I am having a very similar problem on a T61p.

Except that I am trying to restore a Rescue-and-Recover - backup which I had created from this very PC earlier. The backup is stored on an external USB-disk.

The disk in the notebook is a brand new 500GB SATA II drive. I partitioned it (using Acronis Home 2010) and formatted it (using the FORMAT cmd from a Windows 7 OEM-preinstallation kit). - I am NOT trying to install Win7, just used the preinstallation kit to get the disk formatted...

The symptom is the same: I boot from my external USB-drive and ask the program to do a full restore. It happily starts and after about 30 seconds tells me that an internal error has occurred. After that, I can click "Restart" (for example) but that will not have any effect. The only way to proceed is by keeping the power button pressed for a number of seconds.

I still do have the original 160GB drive in working condition. It's just that there are some files in the backup, which got lost and I would like to recover them. So, I wanted to recover the backup to the new 500GB drive, hoping that I could then copy the lost files out of it. After that, I planned to put the original 160GB disk back into the notebook.

Unfortunately, I fail in step one: can't get my Rescue-And-Recover backup restored to the 500GB disk.

Lenovo support tells me, that the T61p cannot handle such large disks...?

Any ideas?

One more thing: I haven't found a way to produce a recovery CD/DVD in the Backup and Recovery tool. Did I miss anything, or is that really impossible?

Top kudoed Authors