Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

45 Posts

08-28-2008

United States of America

122 Signins

966 Page Views

• Views: 966
  • Message 31 of 86

Re: X61 Thinkpad overheat problem

2008-08-28, 19:48 PM

A petition to force Lenovo to fix this problem of heat in the palm rest:

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=X_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=3388

Options

20 Posts

08-31-2008

Australia

20 Signins

232 Page Views

• Views: 232
  • Message 32 of 86

2008-08-31, 14:36 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm well aware of the overheating issues with X61 and many other similar size laptops. I've used Dell XPS and fujitsu P series laptops...they all had overheating problems before. I believe when the OEMs designed the laptop chassis, some of the usage scenarios might not have been throughly considered. For example:

1. When the laptop is charging the battery, unexpected amount of heat is generated
  2. When running games, the GPU generates excessive heat.
  3. Unrealistic themal thresholds. Thinkpad fans are configured to kick in too late for example. full speed fan spin only starts at 85c

I don't expect Levono to fix the overheating issue since you can't expect both X and T series to do the same stuffs when the X series do not have the thermal design to deal with the same amount of waste heat.

Here are some of the workarounds that you might like to consider:

1. Install a PCMCIA slot cooler
  2. Keep the laptop in upright position in a inverted "V" position if you're connected to an external monitor.
  3. Keep the laptop elevated from behind using a book where possible to improve air circulation around the laptop, encouraging heat dissipation.
  4. Install laptop speedballs http://www.pwx.cc/
  5. Use a laptop stand. An active laptop cooling pad is highly recommended
  6. Install and use TPfancontrol to control fan speed.
I believe the overheating problem can be managed if you employ some of the workarounds as suggested, Good luck!
Message Edited by Xseriesfanboy on 08-31-2008 07:39 AM
Message Edited by Xseriesfanboy on 08-31-2008 07:39 AM
Options

45 Posts

08-28-2008

United States of America

122 Signins

966 Page Views

• Views: 966
  • Message 33 of 86

2008-08-31, 17:22 PM

@Xseriesfanboy:

Great nickname! welcome to the forum.

None of the usage scenarions you've suggested are typtical for me. To be honest I don't think that the X61 is bought for gaming, but maybe some people are actually playing on it. Anyway I don't expect the T and X to do the same, but I expect the X61 to be a great business-oriented machine for a day long of work. If I can't work on it more than 30 minutes with the wireless connection at full speed and light programs load, than it misses it's point entirely.

Thanks for the tips, will check them out.

Options

30 Posts

08-12-2008

pasadena, ca

83 Signins

611 Page Views

• Views: 611
  • Message 34 of 86

2008-09-03, 3:01 AM

lancelot916 wrote:

I just spoke with a manager of technical support, Cole, about this whole issue and referred him to this forum along with the softpedia news article.  He is escalating this to his superiors who will be in touch with IBM-Lenovo.  Not sure what they will do, but we're on a conference call where they are asking me what the issue is.  So hopefully i'll have an update.

Okay so I got a call from Lenovo corporate todayand spoke to April.  She said she had all the notes from a manager from tech support (mentioned above).  

Right now they said they have a new part number for a palm rest that helps with the overheating issue.  She is not sure how much it helps but that it reduces the amount of heat.  I could either send it in for tech support to install it or have them send me the part for me to install.  I opted for them sending me the part.

I'll update you wit pics and to what it looks like and whether it helps.  She said this is available on a case by case basis.  Not sure this is a resolution but it's something.

Options

17 Posts

05-09-2008

U.S.A.

16 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 35 of 86

2008-09-03, 3:06 AM
but my laptop's warranty is going to expire soon. Should I extend my warranty for the palm rest thing? 
Options

30 Posts

08-12-2008

pasadena, ca

83 Signins

611 Page Views

• Message 36 of 86

2008-09-03, 3:15 AM

wrote:
but my laptop's warranty is going to expire soon. Should I extend my warranty for the palm rest thing? 
I think it depends.  How much does warranty extention cost?  Also, you'd have to send your unit in so they can attempt to repair it.  Then if it doesn't work you can ask for the option I received - but you may want to wait till I receive the new and improved palm rest so I can report how it has or has not helped.

Options

17 Posts

05-09-2008

U.S.A.

16 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 37 of 86

2008-09-03, 3:23 AM

I am not sure how much it would cost. I think I will wait for your new and improved palm rest first. 

If it works well, I will extend the warranty for that :) 

Thank you so much! 

Message Edited by samanthalo on 09-02-2008 08:23 PM
Options

30 Posts

08-12-2008

pasadena, ca

83 Signins

611 Page Views

• Message 38 of 86

2008-09-05, 6:36 AM

OKAY SO HERE WE GO:  Review of the "new" palm rest from Lenovo-IBM corporate:

Here is the comparison:  (top is new & bottom is old)

Picture 1

There is nothing different about them except that the so-called new one came with the fingerprint reader.  It generated the same amount of heat as the old one.  Nothing was solved.  Although I did have issue because when I sent back my X61s the first time, it seems tech support stripped one of my screws which ruined me.  

Anyway, looking forward to April's call tomorrow from Lenovo corporate so I can let her know this was a bad solution idea because they are the same palm rests.  What the options now for us?

1.  Return for 2008/09 X61s

2.  Do I get a refund?

3.  Get a new wireless card since that's what emanates the heat 

More pics:

Picture 2  Picture 3

Messsage Edited 2x by lancelot916 last on 09-04-2008 11:46 PM

Moderator Note; Oversize pictures converted to links. Please do not post embedded pictures over 50K as per forum rules

Message Edited by andyP on 09-05-2008 01:48 PM
Options

140 Posts

05-13-2008

Columbia, Mo.

245 Signins

2010 Page Views

• Views: 2010
  • Message 39 of 86

2008-09-05, 16:40 PM

As I discuss in another thread, I sent my X61 7675-CTO in for service and got it back within 48 hours with a new motherboard and updated bios (and a bunch of viruses and spyware...). Of importance to this thread is that the new motherboard and bios update - along with the 2.16 bios update I installed when getting the computer back, really works. I've tried running some really heavy applications and OS services and it doesn't shut down anymore due to overheating. Also, it doesn't get at all as hot as before - I can even rest my hands on the handrests (they do get warm and sometimes very warm, but never hot).

So I  am perfectly satisfied with how Lenovo handled the overheating issue. I'm not as satisfied with the malware issue (I've removed 132 viruses and spywares so far), however, but at least my beautiful computer works perfectly now.

Per Bylund

Options

30 Posts

08-12-2008

pasadena, ca

83 Signins

611 Page Views

• Message 40 of 86

2008-09-06, 1:00 AM

wrote:

As I discuss in another thread, I sent my X61 7675-CTO in for service and got it back within 48 hours with a new motherboard and updated bios (and a bunch of viruses and spyware...). Of importance to this thread is that the new motherboard and bios update - along with the 2.16 bios update I installed when getting the computer back, really works. I've tried running some really heavy applications and OS services and it doesn't shut down anymore due to overheating. Also, it doesn't get at all as hot as before - I can even rest my hands on the handrests (they do get warm and sometimes very warm, but never hot).

So I  am perfectly satisfied with how Lenovo handled the overheating issue. I'm not as satisfied with the malware issue (I've removed 132 viruses and spywares so far), however, but at least my beautiful computer works perfectly now.

Per Bylund

thanks for your sharing Per, however our (or my) X61s is not overheating - it has a hot palmrest due to the wireless card that is under the right side of the palmrest.  It is so hot that I and others are unable to use their laptop for over 30 minutes or so.
I think your issue is different from ours.  
As an update for others - April, the corporate exec forgot to call me today so I left her a msg - which means i won't hear back till Monday. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms