Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Siriuswee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,566
Message 1 of 13

X61 cannot detect Western Digital Scorpio Blue 2.5" 500GB Hard drive

Hi there,

I have some problem with an old 320GB Hitachi drive. So I bought a WD Scorpio Blue 500GB drive today. I used Ghost to do a disk to disk copy. After the copy completed, I tried to boot with the WD Scorpio Blue 500GB. Nothing happen, the cursor just blinks and blinks. If I boot from Hiren CD, I can see the WD Scorpio Blue 500GB. I use a partition tool, the disk and partition checks out all right, but I still cannot boot!

I then insert a Windows XP Pro (My OS is still XP Pro) into a USB burner and boot from it. When I tried to press 'R' for repair, it claims that there is no hard disk in my system!! What is happening here? Do I need to update my BIOS for this new WD Scorpio Blue 500GB? I ran the FWSH33 boot CD, it says I don't need to update the drive's firmware. Can anyone advise for this strange problem?

Thank you!!

Regards,

Sirius Wee

Retired Guru
Views: 3,540
Message 2 of 13

Re: X61 cannot detect Western Digital Scorpio Blue 2.5" 500GB Hard drive

Try cloning the old drive with free Acronis Western Digital software

and see if it works.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,532
Message 3 of 13

Hi Siriuswee, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

The new drive needs to be in the ThinkPad when you clone.

If you use Ghost, don't forget the ib switch.

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X61-Can-t-get-sysprep-ed-image-to-boot-on-it/m-...

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Siriuswee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,497
Message 4 of 13

Hi all...Thanks for replying!

I tried using thw WD Acronis True Image Home edition. USing this program, I need to installed the WD ATIH into the old drive and clone the old drive to the new WD Blue Scorpio 500GB using an external USB enclosure. After 4 hours, the process completes and ... I still get a blinking cursor when I try to boot the WD disk!!

I guess I ddin't read the reply carefully. Apparently I need to insert the new WD disk INSIDE the X61!

My Ghost is a DOS GUI version, I don't know how to boot in and clone with IBM switch.

I am going to try Clonezilla with the new WD disk inserted into X61...

Wish me luck!!

Regards,

Sirius

Siriuswee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,496
Message 5 of 13

Forgot to mention, I am going to use this procedure I find from a post in this forum:

- removed and connected my 320GB Hitachi SATA drive to a USB port

- installed my new WD 500GB SATA drive in the drive bay

- used clonezilla to clone the 320GB drive directly to the 500GB drive

Siriuswee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,484
Message 6 of 13

Well...Clonezilla failed...I found the IB switch in Ghost 11 GUI...trying it now...5th trial....

Siriuswee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,480
Message 7 of 13

Ghost with IB switch alsi fails! My BIOS level is 2.16 (7NETB6WW) dated 01 July 2008, Do I need to update my BIOS, running out of ideas...:-(...WIll update BIOS now...

Siriuswee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,475
Message 8 of 13

Need to get the battery for the BIOS update program to work! Have to get it from my friend tomorrow...By the way, do I need to clone the SERVICEV00 partition also? Can I just clone the 'preload' partition? Frustration.....:-(

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,465
Message 9 of 13

Smiley Sad

Cloning is a common topic of discussion. Are you searching the community for answers?

The Acronis Western Digital mentioned by Duck3 should do the job, using this procedure: http://kb.acronis.com/content/2931.

My advice would be to clone the whole drive and not play with partitions until after you have the new drive running successfully. If you remove the service partition you lose the ability to recover to factory state.

Upgrading the BIOS is unlikely to help.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Siriuswee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,459
Message 10 of 13

Thank Bananman! I am now trying the ATIH WD edition again. I create a bootable CDR using the old HD, making sure that I attached the new WD disk via external USB enclosure. Without attaching the WD disk, I could not start ATIH WD. Then I create a bootable CDR. Shutdown the system, I swap out the old disk and insert the new WD disk, putting the old disk in an external USB enclosure, then boot from USB burner with the ATIH WD CDR....The copying process is still on going...will update the forum with this saga....Incidentally I did try to install a copy of Windows 7 into the new WD disk, no issue, the Windows 7 can boot...so the new WD disk is working fine.....The rpocess is tiring because each iteration takes at least 3 hours....:-(

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors