Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amdrescher
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,872
Message 1 of 5

X61s BIOS update gone wrong.

Hi All,

Yesterday reinstalled win 7 x86 on my X61s and initiated a BIOS upgrade after system update asked me to... I am not sure to which version it was attempting to upgrade from and to however it failed, it go to the step of "Reading old BIOS" after which the update utility software just started stalling and became unresponsive. After this my laptop now wont boot, i can push the power button and get a green power light but thats it. I have gathered from reading around different forums that a failed BIOS update may mean a bricked laptop and that this is seen before on windows 7 (does anyone know if this has been confirmed by Lenovo?)

Just wanted to check if there are any possibilities for this laptop to come back to life? are there any type of special restoration i can force when powering on? Or do i have any other options? Oh and it is out of warranty.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,838
Message 2 of 5

Re: X61s BIOS update gone wrong.

about the only thing you can try is unhook the power supply, take out the battery, find the CMOS battery, (probably under the keyboard), take it out, push the power button and hold it down to drain any residual power in the machine, let it set for about 10 minutes then reconnect the CMOS battery and put the power supply back on and put the battery in and turn it on and hope for the best.  if it still doesn't work, then you'll either need a new motherboard or you'll have to find somebody who can solder a new bios chip on the board, good luck.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
romansivers
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,802
Message 3 of 5

Agree with topmahof: I would follow his steps (it did work on some desktops). Not sure how successfull you will be with the same steps on laptop. Good luck!

-R

Retired Guru
Views: 2,788
Message 4 of 5

I think that although is wort trying, is likely that cmos has nothing to do with the wrongly flashed bios.

There are a lot of places explaining  how to recover a corrupted phoenix bios...

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21209

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,750
Message 5 of 5

in some cases the flashing took place correctly, however, the system fails to boot due to messed up bios settings which are stored in ram. the memory retains this information with the CMOS battery so by removing it, it also removes the messed up settings.  i realize it's a long shot in the above case but i'm sure you see yourself how iffy it is to recover from a bad bios flash and if this works, great.  if not, it could get expensive.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors