Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 1,671
Message 1 of 42

Y1 Yoga 3rd gen - issues with trackpoint drift correction

I'm a big fan of Lenovo's/IBM's trackpoint, but on my new X1Y3 I'm struggling a bit. 

Right after switching from presentation mode I can use the trackpoint just fine, but letting go after a short motion, the cursor often drifts in the opposite direction for six or seven very long seconds. In the end it stops, after which it usually works OK. Sometimes this happens twice in a row. 

I an familiar with the built-in offset/drift correction. If you move the pointer in the same direction for a long time and let go, the pointer drifts in the opposite direction. That's normal, and a result of some auto-calibration going on, and it stops moving pretty quickly. 

In this case though, the drift appears after very short motion, as if the initial drift offset is misinterpreted/miscalibrated, and it keeps going for way longer than I remember from prior ThinkPads. I hope this can be fixed, because I'm a perennial laptop/tablet mode switcher. 

electriclarry
Punch Card
Views: 1,600
Message 2 of 42

Re: Y1 Yoga 3rd gen - issues with trackpoint drift correction

I've had that problem with my P40 Yoga as well, and though I have explained it to Lenovo techs on the phone they seem to have no answers. It could have something to do with the orientation at the time as sometimes tilting it in a different plane will make it stop, but I'm really only guessing here.
yamayama1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,553
Message 3 of 42

Yes, the same issues in my trackpoint for X1 Yoga3 but not for X1 Yoga1. Now it is in Lenovo Support for checking. They say " there are no issues from the mechanical checks at now."  The mouse drifts often downwards and sometimes upwards though they are never happened in X1 Yoga1. This drift issue can be cured by re-start, or taking off the red cap once (sometimes). 

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 1,549
Message 4 of 42

@yamayama1 wrote:

Yes, the same issues in my trackpoint for X1 Yoga3 but not for X1 Yoga1. [...]  The mouse drifts often downwards and sometimes upwards though they are never happened in X1 Yoga1. This drift issue can be cured by re-start, or taking off the red cap once (sometimes). 

For me it seems to happen mostly when I switch back from presentation mode and start using the trackpoint. Letting go after say one second it starts drifting up, and keeps drifting steadily for 6-7 full seconds. This can happen once more after say 20-30 seconds after the drift had already stopped. It seems very likely that there's something wrong with the calibration logic when switching modes.  

EssenceBlue
Punch Card
Views: 1,525
Message 5 of 42

Happens also on my X1Y2 and X1Y3.
yamayama1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,476
Message 6 of 42

I sent my X1 Yoga3 to the Lenovo Support Center if there is any trouble in the mechanical or software on April 6, and still wait for the back (as of April 24), hopefully it will be back soon. Shortly, the keyboard is exchanged after the confirmation on the repeated issues for the trackpoint drift at the support. The first report at the early stage is ; no troubles in the mechanical check. my trackpoint drifts from the top to down, or upward at the time: top cover open, and oftenly  file operation at "Explorer" which will make me nervous operations. it will be wise to see it the Support Center anyhow. 

jackzh2011
SCSI Port
Views: 1,451
Message 7 of 42

I don't know if I'm having the same issue, but each time my X1Y3 comes out of sleep / presentation mode, the trackPAD stops working for a few seconds and the mouse cursor drifts upwards in a straight line. I can still use the trackPOINT to move the mouse, but clicking is hard because it seems like there is other input to the mouse. The upward drift problem has also occurred several times during normal use of the trackPAD.
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 1,435
Message 8 of 42

@jackzh2011 wrote:
I don't know if I'm having the same issue, but each time my X1Y3 comes out of sleep / presentation mode, the trackPAD stops working for a few seconds and the mouse cursor drifts upwards in a straight line. I can still use the trackPOINT to move the mouse, but clicking is hard because it seems like there is other input to the mouse. The upward drift problem has also occurred several times during normal use of the trackPAD.

Interesting, that makes it seem like the trackpoint calibration starts out with the wrong value, and that it takes it sweet time to re-center / re-calibrate. The trackpoint 'adds' to the trackpad and mouse input, so that fits what you observe.

My cursor also moves up for about seven seconds, but not always exactly straight. The oddest thing is that I've seen this happen twice in a row, after coming back from "presentation mode" (keyboard facing down and away, screen angled toward the user), but never three times. Edit: today it happened three times in a row. For me it never happened in the middle of a session through, only immediately after wake or return from media/stand mode. 

I hope there's an engineer here that can piece together the cause based on these symptoms:

- when the system wakes or returns from stand mode the trackpoint starts miscalibrated

- result: the mouse pointer drifts upward for 7 seconds, then stops

- further use of the trackpoint (and even trackpad?) within the next few seconds may cause this scenario to recur once or twice

Any Lenovo techs in the house that can clarify (or even fix) this behavior? 

yamayama1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,385
Message 9 of 42

hellos. My X1 Yoga3 was returned from the Support Center yesterday. but still the trackpoint drifts happen 3 times till today. Yes,  it is caused just at the time "when the system wakes or returns from stand mode the trackpoint starts miscalibrated" as you point out. I am disappointed at this issue although the keyboard is replaced newly at the Center. The mouse moved upwards. (Such did not happen for more than 20 days for X1 Yoga1 while this was in the Support Center.)

EssenceBlue
Punch Card
Views: 1,115
Message 10 of 42

Any solution? 
On my X1Y3 it can happen anytime I use the trackpoint. So this bug surfaces in average every 30min and sometimes even every minute multiple times in a row.

Top Kudoed Authors