Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
protonot
SCSI Port
Views: 601
Message 51 of 59

Re: Y1 Yoga 3rd gen - issues with trackpoint drift correction

They do their best to make us abandon the trackpoint. However, they do not realize this is what differentiates them from competition. I would never have sold my previous surface pro 2017 to spend 2000 dollars on the Thinkpad X1 Tablet if it was not for the trackpoint keyboard. Lenovo, just WAKE UP!!! I also have the X1 Yoga which i cannot use because of the drift issue. How bad do you treat your dedicated customers? Is this some kind of sadistic fetish you have??

toshex
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 504
Message 52 of 59

+1

Have the same issue. Opening the lid makes the trackpoint drift a lot, before settling down. Switching to tablet mode too, or rotating screen. Heavy trackpoint drifting is prominent on a hourly basis at the least when the scroll button is being used and trackpoint is used to scroll.

EDIT: just to clarify I do have the trackpoint firmware installed, initially it seemed like it improved things a lot but now I am thinking the issues are as bad as before. Will try reinstalling the firmware update.

ChadZahara
Fanfold Paper
Views: 476
Message 53 of 59

I am with you, protonot. One of the reasons I buy ThinkPads is to get the Trackpoint. The fact that they aren't working properly on these new, expensive machines is really depressing. None of the updates have fixed it for me yet. Hopefully they will fix it eventually or else I have less reason to buy ThinkPads in the future.
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 465
Message 54 of 59

@ChadZahara wrote:
I am with you, protonot. One of the reasons I buy ThinkPads is to get the Trackpoint. The fact that they aren't working properly on these new, expensive machines is really depressing. 

It's bad that we have this bug/undersired behavior, but what is way worse IMO is that there basically doesn't seem to be any interest in addressing this. I would want Lenovo to step in here, and say "please post a video of the problem", and then say either "that's normal behavior", or say "that's not normal, here's how you can send us diagnostics data". The fact that this is not happening reflects badly on Lenovo.   

protonot
SCSI Port
Views: 445
Message 55 of 59

Exactly, this is the point. This is not a minor detail, it is not a bout a bad user who does not know how to handle something in winodows and wastes the time of a Lenovo employee. It is a HUGE and well established issue that we users highlighted and spent time and effort over at the benefit of Lenovo, so that they improve. But they do not think they should improve. They think that losing the most significant advantage over competition is not a big deal and further they do not care about the extremely negative impact of this problem to the user experience and productivity of their most dedicated customers. It is beyond comprehension.

shergreen
What's DOS?
Views: 258
Message 56 of 59

This problem is absolutely not solved. I just got a brand new X1 Yoga 3rd gen, have installed all possible updates via both Windows Update and Lenovo Vantage, as well as installed the TrackPoint 1.0.0.4 driver released last October. I've tried taking off the TrackPoint cap and putting it back on. No matter what, it seems that (i) switching modes between laptop/tablet and (ii) resuming from sleep both cause TrackPoint drift, which is very slow and lasts for quite some time. Throughout this entire period, I am unable to use the trackpad. It seems that occasionally the removal and replacement of the pen into the pen bay causes the drifting to stop. I've verified that it is indeed the TrackPoint by putting the laptop to sleep, waking it back up and entering a period of extended cursor drift, and then turning off the TrackPoint via Lenovo Vantage. As soon as the TrackPoint is turned off, the drift stops and the trackpad can be used once again.

This is really quite ridiculous that this problem hasn't been solved yet. I'd really like to be able to use my TrackPoint and its buttons, but for now I have to keep it off so that the laptop is at all useable.

I have done all of this testing on Windows 10, but I am considering seeing if the issue persists in Linux. I expect that it will since this seems like a firmware issue that is plaguing quite a large number of people's X1 Yoga 3rd Gens. It would be really nice to hear something from Lenovo, as it seems there has been no update for at least 4 months!

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 210
Message 57 of 59

@shergreen wrote:

This problem is absolutely not solved.  [...] No matter what, it seems that (i) switching modes between laptop/tablet and (ii) resuming from sleep both cause TrackPoint drift, which is very slow and lasts for quite some time. [...] It would be really nice to hear something from Lenovo, as it seems there has been no update for at least 4 months!

Very much agreed on the last point! As for the issue not being solved, I agree that it's still worse than on older ThinkPads like the X220t or the X61t, but for me these drift events now take around 3 seconds, while they used to take 7-8 seconds. It's still annoying, and I still think it's some bug in the logic, but it's tolerable. Can you time yours? How long does the drift really last?

shergreen
What's DOS?
Views: 202
Message 58 of 59

@joesixgig wrote:

@shergreen

Can you time yours? How long does the drift really last?

The drift will go on basically indefinitely. The main way I get it to stop is by taking the pen out of the bay, which *usually* solves the problem and the trackpad can be used again.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 194
Message 59 of 59

@shergreen wrote:

@joesixgig wrote:

@shergreen

Can you time yours? How long does the drift really last?

The drift will go on basically indefinitely. The main way I get it to stop is by taking the pen out of the bay, which *usually* solves the problem and the trackpad can be used again.

Oh, that sounds very different from what most folks here experience. How odd that there's an interaction with the pen/silo! If the problem is easy to reproduce and your system is still under warranty, call customer support and see if you can have it fixed or if it's an option, replaced. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors