Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChadZahara
Fanfold Paper
Views: 440
Message 31 of 55

Re: Y1 Yoga 3rd gen - issues with trackpoint drift correction

I am also very annoyed with this issue. It happens too frequently, not just from waking the X1Y3 or converting from one mode to another, but randomly. 

Looking through this thread, I'm surprised to see that there still isn't a fix for it. One of the reasons I purchase a ThinkPad is for the trackpoint. 

I have a ThinkPad 380XD manufactured in 1998 that still works and the trackpoint performs flawlessly. Yet these new, expensive machines...

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 263
Message 32 of 55

OK so it turns out that there's a TrackPoint firmware update for the X1 Yoga 3rd gen that specifically mentions that it addresses the drift: "Fixed an issue where TrackPoint drift long time intermittently." This was apparently released already more than three weeks ago! 

It would have been really nice if Lenovo would have reported that here. Anyway, happy there's an update, and happy to report that since installing it and rebooting my system I have not been able to reproduce the drift issue. 

When installing, be prepared to wait for about 4-5 minutes while the updater sloooooowly writes the new firmware. Worth it! Cheers.

Edit: quick update, I'm still not able to reproduce the old eight-second drift, hurray! I did see a short drift event immediately after a switching back from tablet mode, but this looks a lot more like the old brief centering/recalibration behavior. I think they could still do better: the system should be disregarding any trackpoint signal while in tablet mode so that the calibration wouldn't be so far off on switching back, but hey, I don't want to be greedy. Smiley Happy

If people still have the same or a similar issue (and it seems like it, see next post), consider starting a new thread that mentions "after TrackPoint firmware update 1.0.0.2", because from Lenovo's standpoint this issue has been addressed. 

jackzh2011
SCSI Port
Views: 258
Message 33 of 55

I installed the firmware update, but the problem persists...

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 253
Message 34 of 55

@jackzh2011 wrote:

I installed the firmware update, but the problem persists...

Did it do the 4-5 minute flashing? Have you rebooted once already? Not sure if that's necessary, but it's what I did. For me the problem used to be very easy to reproduce, and I simply haven't been able to since installing the update and rebooting. If I do see it again I'll course report back here, but so far for me it's looking good. Hope a reboot fixes yours as well. 

jackzh2011
SCSI Port
Views: 241
Message 35 of 55

I did all those things. I actually installed it almost right after it came out, but the problem came back right away...

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 237
Message 36 of 55

@jackzh2011 wrote:

I did all those things. I actually installed it almost right after it came out, but the problem came back right away...

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. I updated my post. Since Lenovo considers the issue 'addressed', I think a starting a new thread mentioning that there's a drifting problem even after FW 1.0.0.2 may be more productive. Is the behavior exactly the same for you?

BTW are you sure we're talking about the same FW update? Earlier in this thread there was a post (June 29, post 14) about new firmware, but that didn't fix things. The link to that FW no longer works. This latest firmware is from September 14. If you haven't tried this one, give it a shot. 

EssenceBlue
Punch Card
Views: 172
Message 37 of 55

The new firmware does not solve the bug. So, still waiting...

My exp: Since some time, already before the update, the drift happened less often. Only ~5 times a day and not many times in a row. Do you think so too? Or how often does your cursor drift (in respect to usage time of trackpad)?

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 159
Message 38 of 55

@EssenceBlue wrote:

The new firmware does not solve the bug. So, still waiting...

My exp: Since some time, already before the update, the drift happened less often. Only ~5 times a day and not many times in a row. Do you think so too? Or how often does your cursor drift (in respect to usage time of trackpad)?

That's too bad. Smiley Sad  I'll leave this thread marked as 'Solved' though, because Lenovo considers FW 1.0.0.2 the solution to the drift problem. The most productive way of having any issues after 1.0.0.2 resolved is by starting a new thread specifically for post-1.0.0.2 issues, and then referring from this thread to that new one so people can find it. If you start that thread, please describe the symptoms very clearly so people know exactly what you're talking about. 

For me, I have my pointer set to the highest speed, and trackpoint set to the highest sensitivity. After 1.0.0.2 I see the occasional one-second drift which moves the pointer by maybe an inch, but zero instances of the dreaded eight-second drift. How often is hard to quantify, say once or twice per hour? 

The one-second drift does happen occasionally after trackpoint moves that were short enough that they shouldn't have triggered recalibriation. So imo there's still a bug or non-optimal logic in the trackpoint firmware, but at least it's way better than before. 

jackzh2011
SCSI Port
Views: 155
Message 39 of 55

Does pointer migration happen when you change the laptop from tablet mode to normal laptop mode, or just wake up from sleep? 

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 150
Message 40 of 55

@jackzh2011 wrote:

Does pointer migration happen when you change the laptop from tablet mode to normal laptop mode, or just wake up from sleep? 

For me I've definitely seen the first option while on the new FW, but as mentioned way shorter than before. On the new FW I've also seen it just in the middle of a long session in laptop mode. I don't get the feeling that it's especially common right after waking the machine, I'll keep an eye on it though. 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors