Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 476
Message 41 of 59

Re: Y1 Yoga 3rd gen - issues with trackpoint drift correction

I just opened my X1Y3 with the 1.0.0.2 trackpoint firmware, and was able to generate three successive 'drift events' that all lasted about three seconds. Darn it. So yes, on the one hand that's better than the previous eight-second drifts, but it's still ridiculous that this even happens. For now I've unmarked my earlier post as solution. At best this is a partial solution. 

Theorizing on why this happens, it seems like the trackpoint makes a wrong assumption about the center position, and takes three seconds to realize that 'either that's a really steady hand, or I was wrong about the center position'. Personally I want those kinds of recalibrations to happen way faster, but maybe there's something about the newer trackpoint hardware that makes this difficult? Or perhaps the new software engineers don't have the mad skills of the old engineers? Either way, this is not a great situation. Lenovo, sort this out please! 

ChadZahara
Fanfold Paper
Views: 406
Message 42 of 59

I have done everything suggested and it is still not fixed. The drift is just as persistent, if not more so. It's happening a lot, not just when opening or transforming the X1 Yoga 3rdG. It seems like any movement can set it off and it lasts for a long time. Sometimes it goes on until it drifts to the top of the screen and still wont stop.

This is really getting frustrating. How is it that laptops have had trackpoints for decades and they worked fine, but these are so broken? It's ridiculous.

Guru
Views: 369
Message 43 of 59

Same here.  I still have trackpoint drift AFTER the trackpoint firmware update too.  

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

protonot
SCSI Port
Views: 364
Message 44 of 59

It has not been very clear. For those who installed the firmware update, is the issue improved at least to some extent, or is it persistent to the same degree as before? Thank you.

hybit
Paper Tape
Views: 359
Message 45 of 59

Hi everyone,

for me, after installing the update the problem seemed gone for a short while but returned to its initial extent shortly after. I guess it was just a lucky incident the problem was solved a few weeks.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 355
Message 46 of 59

@protonot wrote:

It has not been very clear. For those who installed the firmware update, is the issue improved at least to some extent, or is it persistent to the same degree as before? Thank you.

For me the problem is definitely less. I used to have 7-8 second drifts all the time, and after the FW update it's much more rare, and it almost never goes longer than ~3 seconds. It's still annoying when it happens. 

Given that it still happens, and given that this is clearly not a hardware limitation (it worked WAY better on my ThinkPad Yoga 12) I've unmarked the FW update as solution. 

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed that a thread with 1600+ views doesn't get more attention from Lenovo. Clearly there's a lot of people dealing with this issue, even if not all of them post here. 

ChadZahara
Fanfold Paper
Views: 333
Message 47 of 59

@protonot For me, it's either the same or worse after installing the supposed "fix."

Guru
Views: 325
Message 48 of 59

For me there was no difference.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

EssenceBlue
SCSI Port
Views: 278
Message 49 of 59

I revise my previous statement. Drift happens very often and takes >3sec.
So should we stop using trackpoint altogether? Do they want us to use trackpads like everyon else .... 

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 196
Message 50 of 59

I just noticed that there's a new trackpoint FW version 1.0.0.4, released Oct 25. Unfortunately the only listed change is that they modified the installer to prompt for a reboot, so it probably won't improve any drift issues. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors