Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
envisiondl
Paper Tape
Views: 2,561
Message 1 of 10

Yoga 2nd gen thunderbolt 4 lanes or 2?

Hello.. just bought a 2nd gen Yoga x1.. i7600u/8gb/256gb/OLED for $1100 on the outlet website.  Couple questions if anyone knows.. is the Thunderbolt port 2 or 4 lanes? I'd like to use a  razer core if it's 4. Also can I charge using my Samsung usb C charger?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,544
Message 2 of 10

Re: Yoga 2nd gen thunderbolt 4 lanes or 2?

I am not an expert and I have no way to test it, but when the x1 yoga was being released, I wrote a "first Look" type review.  At that time, I saw a preliminary data sheet that said that the 2 USB-C ports were Thunderbolt-3 compliant, which I think means 4 lanes.  Maybe someone else can confirm or augment my statement.

As far as the charger, I would need to see the specs, but if it is a phone charger, my guess is "no".  It needs to be multi-voltage and able to put out 20V 3.5 amps

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
envisiondl
Paper Tape
Views: 2,516
Message 3 of 10

looks like it's thunderbolt 3 with 4 lanes.. 40gbps.. straight from a Lenovo rep running down the highlights of the laptop on youtube... so that's awesome!  

ravenkira
What's DOS?
Views: 2,462
Message 4 of 10

OLED version for 1100? Can you please point me to the deal or share the coupons pls
ThinkBox
Token Ring
Views: 2,455
Message 5 of 10

i hope this will help.... 

ThinkpadNumber of TB3 Ports Number of PCIe lanes

P501x4
T470p0-
ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th gen2x4
ThinkPad T4701x4
Thinkpad Yoga 3701x4
Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd gen2x4
Thinkpad T5701x2

Lenovo Ideapad Number of TB3 Ports Number of PCIe lanes

Miix 7201x4
Yoga 7201x2

Best Regards....

envisiondl
Paper Tape
Views: 2,437
Message 6 of 10

Search Lenovo Outlet Daily and you'll find an OLED version for a good deal. I've been looking the last month and they've been sporadically availabe .. the lowest I've seen is early $920.00... which was crazy good deal. I woulda ordered it but I didn't know how rare and expensive they were at the time.  Lenovo Outlet is such a good deal! A friend just bought a  5th gen thinkpad x1 carbon i5/8gb/256gb for about $530.00 . Insane deals on the X1 carbons , they are top shelf stuff.

FonkeyMonkey
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,325
Message 7 of 10

ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2nd Gen) PCIe lanes

hello, I have a ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2nd Gen) 20JD004UUS, Intel i7-7500U.

I want to buy an external GPU and connect it via Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 port

that I know it has.

The question is - how many PCIe lanes does it has? x4? maybe x8 or x16?

This will determine the throuput ans subsequently the model of GPU to buy.

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/Thinkpad-X1-Yoga-2nd-Gen/p/22TP2TXX12Y

https://www.laptoparena.net/lenovo/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-yoga-(2nd-gen)-2673

FonkeyMonkey
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,148
Message 8 of 10

Re: ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2nd Gen) PCIe lanes

anyone? please?

ThinkBox
Token Ring
Views: 1,114
Message 9 of 10

Re: ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2nd Gen) PCIe lanes

[Moderator edit by bananaman: The below was cut and pasted from reddit with no attribution, so I'm adding it. It is from a reddit post by chx_ https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/7vb0gg/u_series_chips_pcie_lanes_and_thunderbolt_3/. Persistent use of content from elsewhere without proper attribution will result in moderator intervention.]

So..i hope this will help you to understand ....and answer all yours questions...

1. Haswell and later U chips have the PCH integrated into a single package. Up until 2018 Feb at least, all the U chips have 12 PCIe lanes in total and that's the package total, they all come from the PCH and none are coming from the CPU. This is laid out in layman terms in this article but also p25 of the Intel PCH I/O datasheet says 12 PCIe lanes are coming from the PCH and we know there are 12 PCIe lanes in total.
  2. The CPU and the PCH is communicating via the On Package Interconnect which is very much like the Direct Media Interface except it is on the package (duh). This has the same bandwidth as four PCI Express 3.0 lanes (4GT/s) but can be configured via the laptop vendor to be only two wide (2GT/s) for power savings. source. The vendor can change this but it's a complicated BIOS upgrade, it's not a setting you can change in the BIOS and it's definitely not runtime. I am not 100% how to get the speed of the OPI aside from benchmarking.
  3. How bad is 2GT/s? One might think it's bad: if you are looking hard enough then you can find some benchmark where the fastest M.2 NVMe disks running on an x4 link are pretty close to be constrained by that x4 link, running at 3100 MB/s while limiting an NVMe disk to PCIe x2 (via 2GT/s and/or simply by feeding only two lanes into an M.2 key B or M slot) means it can't exceed 1700MB/s (x2 is 16gbps). But if you compare the Crystaldiskmark results of the 960 Evo to one in a T470 (which is x2 NVMe) you will find the difference to be much smaller (same for AS benchmark). These benchmarks are much closer to a real world usage than the "full throttle" nature of that single Atto benchmark. Because of this, most laptops which use U (reminder: low wattage) CPUs will vote on saving power via a 2GT/s link instead of trying to squeeze the last performance drop from their SSDs. After all, you only gain from disk speed when you are using the disk a lot but you always have shorter battery life if OPI is running at 4GT/s. Also, the OEM SSDs will not be as fast as a 960 Evo/Pro anyways.

4. The Thunderbolt 3 technology brief makes it clear every TB3 port must have at least two lanes. It also says dual port controllers are fed by four lanes.

5. Intel sells a single port Thunderbolt 3 controller called Alpine Ridge LP (JHL6240) which indeed only requires the minimum two lanes. Almost all laptops with an U chip (and more than a few gaming laptops with HQ chips too) and a single TB3 port uses this. Dell admits this, Lenovo also since 2018, HP I do not know. (The single port x4 TB3 controller is typically used by workstations.) Notable exceptions include the Razer Stealth Blade 2017 and later (not the 2016, tho). (source)

6. Laptops with two Thunderbolt 3 ports always have a single controller (providing both ports) fed by x4. Also, in this case the laptop might even have an OPI 4GT/s link, otherwise it will have 2GT/s as there's no component which realistically needs 4GT/s as outlined above. hwinfo will tell you what sort of controller you have and how many PCIe lanes does it have.

7. In the same tech brief you can read Intel limited the host-to-device bandwidth to 22gbps. Techpowerup did a great PCIe scaling analysis on the desktop: there's less than 10% difference between PCIe 2.0 x4 (equivalent to 3.0 x2, both are 16gbps) and PCIe 3.0 x4 (32gbps) at 1080p using a GTX 1080, shrinking further as the resolution increases. This small difference just diminishes to nothing if you compare 3.0x x2 and "x2.75".

8. Indeed, there are benchmarks (1 2) showing no difference at all when the eGPU is connected to an external display whether using an x2 or an x4 TB3 controller.

9. However, the second benchmark also shows that accelerating the internal display with an 1070 or faster does get a major performance hit from the x2 TB3. This makes sense: accelerating the internal display means copying the rendered data back into the framebuffer of the internal GPU driving the internal screen and it's possible a fast enough GPU can produce enough data to saturate the 16gps connection. Since the internal GPU is going to be the Intel IGP connected to the CPU, the data must cross the OPI link -- remember, PCIe lanes are connected to the PCH. So having 4GT/s and an x4 TB3 controller is important for this use case. (Plus of course up to date eGPU enclosure firmware and a proper cable.) But, if you check that benchmark it says an x4 gives you 70% of the desktop performance and x2 gives you 60% which is nowhere near the double speed the links would allow. Still, this 16% difference can be important.

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/sites/default/files/Thunderbolt3_TechBrief_FINAL.pdf

best regards...

Jelkjol
What's DOS?
Views: 68
Message 10 of 10

where do you check to see how many pcie lanes?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors