Options

26 Posts

11-22-2018

AU

46 Signins

377 Page Views

• Views: 377
  • Message 1 of 17

Yoga X1 3rd Gen: Adaptive Contrast re-enabled after update?

2019-03-12, 18:07 PM

How can I disable Intel Adaptive Contrast / Brightness?  (The feature that keeps fading the contrast of my screen depending what content is on screen.)

I managed to turn it off previously before using these instructions, but a recent update has re-enabled it. (Maybe the Windows 1809 update, maybe Lenovo Display Optimizer v2.0.0.3, maybe Intel Graphics v25.20.100.6472?)  The problem is, even if I disable "Display Power Saving Technology" in the Power screen of the Intel UHD Graphics Control Panel, the screen fading is still happening.

There also used to be a setting in Windows' Edit Power Plan -> Advanced Settings -> Display to disable Adaptive Brightness, but that option has disappeared for me, presumably in the 1809 update. I have turned off "Change brightness automatically when lighting changes" in the Windows 10 Settings.  (In fact, making the Windows 10 Settings app full screen in Dark Mode is one of the best ways to trigger the Adaptive Contrast fading effect, toggling between a bright white & almost black screen.)

Can anyone help? This is making editing graphics in Photoshop impossible & driving me crazy.  I just switched from a Mac and starting to wonder if I should switch back...

Options

641 Posts

07-20-2009

US

6209 Signins

23772 Page Views

• Views: 23772
  • Message 2 of 17

Re: Yoga X1 3rd Gen: Adaptive Contrast re-enabled after update?

2019-03-12, 20:38 PM

Yeah it's infuriating. Do you mean adaptive contrast, or adaptive brightness? I can't test right now, but the intel atrocity that is adaptive contrast keeps getting re-enabled upon graphics driver updates, even though it will still show as disabled in the control utility iirc. I hate it with a passion, and I can't understand that manufacturers like Lenovo allow Intel to make the display look like crap when on battery power. 

Anyway... the way to fix it used to be: right click on desktop, select intel graphics, click the big ugly battery icon in the panel that opens, enable adaptive contrast, hit apply, disable adaptive contrast, hit apply. It should then be off, until the next update in a few months. I can't test it right now, but give it a shot and let us know how it goes. 

Options

17 Posts

11-04-2017

CA

59 Signins

580 Page Views

• Views: 580
  • Message 3 of 17

2019-03-15, 14:55 PM

The reason Intel demands this is that it improves battery life by 20%,

Options

641 Posts

07-20-2009

US

6209 Signins

23772 Page Views

• Message 4 of 17

2019-03-15, 16:35 PM

wrote:

The reason Intel demands this is that it improves battery life by 20%,

Do you have a refence for that statement? It's exactly what I've been wondering about for a while now, and I haven't been able to find anything on it.

Options

26 Posts

11-22-2018

AU

46 Signins

377 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2019-03-15, 17:34 PM

wrote:

the way to fix it used to be: right click on desktop, select intel graphics, click the big ugly battery icon in the panel that opens, enable adaptive contrast, hit apply, disable adaptive contrast, hit apply. It should then be off...

Yep, that's what I remember too. Unfortunately in driver version 25.20.100.6472 on Windows 10 1809, the Disable Adaptive Contrast setting isn't there anymore, at least on my machine.  I do have Disable Power Saving Technology, but that doesn't seem to be having any effect (but I'll try enabling & disabling it again, we'll see). I'll attach a screenshot of what I have. Note that while it says "Balanced Mode", in Windows 1809 I don't appear to have any other power modes, High Performance has gone. I can choose Best Performance from the Windows 10 battery menu, but not the older Windows 7 - like Power Plan control panel preferences anymore.

Options

17 Posts

11-04-2017

CA

59 Signins

580 Page Views

• Views: 580
  • Message 6 of 17

2019-03-15, 18:22 PM

It's a claim I got from an intel rep. It's used by laptop manufacturers to goose their battery life numbers way upwards.  

The solution is to download the 620 drivers for Windows 10 direct from Intel and not use the ones provided by Microsoft, which remove the ability to disable it.

Options

641 Posts

07-20-2009

US

6209 Signins

23772 Page Views

• Message 7 of 17

2019-03-15, 23:51 PM

wrote:

It's a claim I got from an intel rep. It's used by laptop manufacturers to goose their battery life numbers way upwards.  

The solution is to download the 620 drivers for Windows 10 direct from Intel and not use the ones provided by Microsoft, which remove the ability to disable it.

Thanks. I'm guessing that he meant "up to 20% reduction in display power draw in ideal conditions." How much of a difference it makes depends on what's on the screen. And then how much of a difference in battery life it makes would depend on how much of the total power draw is from the screen. My wild guess: I'd be surprised if it increased real world battery life by more than 5%. 

I still think it's crazy that there's not more information about something that makes the screen look this bad. I just don't get it. 

Options

26 Posts

11-22-2018

AU

46 Signins

377 Page Views

• Message 8 of 17

2019-03-16, 11:52 AM

Just an update: it looks like enabling Display Power Saving Technology and then disabling again in driver 25.20.100.6472 might have fixed it after all. (Thanks joesixgig!)

I verified it by re-enabling that feature, dialing it up to maximum battery life, then launching Sublime Text in full screen mode with the dark Monokai theme, just to confirm that is the driver feature that was triggering Adaptive Contrast. Then I went and disabled Display Power Saving Technology, checked in Sublime Text again, and I didn't get the same fading of bright text. I'm not getting the screen contrast fading in Photoshop now either. So I think it's fixed (until the next driver update), but I'll keep an eye on it.

Also, if it helps others: I think I've also fixed my ICC display calibration file being overridden at startup.  (The red tint of the HDR display was driving me nuts, so I bought a Datacolor Spyder 5 to correct & calibrate it... but the original Lenovo calibration would still be applied at Windows startup & I'd have to manually enable the Spyder ICC file in Windows settings.) Turns out it's the Lenovo installed program ChromaTune / Lenovo Display Optimizer that overrides it, and the program doesn' t show up in Add/Remove Programs Settings... you'll need to run the uninstaller in C:\Program Files\Portrait Displays\Lenovo Display Optimizer\ to get rid of it. You'll lose the ability to switch between Native / Standard / Photo Pro color modes by right-clicking on the desktop if you do uninstall it, and I'm not sure how you'd reinstall Lenovo Display Optimizer if you ever wanted to get it back again... but if you want your ICC display calibration applied at startup and don't mind losing those screen modes, it looks like that will do it.

Options

20 Posts

08-15-2017

US

50 Signins

380 Page Views

• Views: 380
  • Message 9 of 17

2019-04-30, 9:23 AM

Did you try this version of ChromaTune?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Lenovo-Display-Optimizer-installation-not-possible-Thinkpad-X1/m-p/4417416/highlight/true#M99098

Options

3 Posts

11-10-2019

NL

3 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 10 of 17

2019-11-10, 21:13 PM

I'm having the same trouble with Thinkpad X1 extreme gen2.

The screen keeps adjusting brightness with different content on screen. 

The option mentiond by @joesixgig i cannot find:

'right click on desktop, select intel graphics, click the big ugly battery icon in the panel that opens, enable adaptive contrast, hit apply, disable adaptive contrast, hit apply. It should then be off'

Anyone who knows where to find this option nowadays?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete