Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Manal_q8
Paper Tape
Views: 3,045
Message 1 of 14

Yoga X1: Black Screen after Windows update - Display driver issue

Good day!

After installing the latest update for Windows 10 (Version 1607, OS Build 14393.222), the screen just went black! I noticed that I'm already logining in windows from the light of the fingerprint but I couldn't see anything on screen.

I tired to format everyting in the PC and reinstall Windows back again through entering the Recovery Screen. I was able to get the screen back but this time the brightness was full and I couldn't change the level of it. I did some search about this issue and then I manually update the display adapter (Intel HD Graphics 520) from the device manager. After this update the screen went off again!

I tried to follow the solutions in the following link but nothing worked.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht501760

I then tried to reinstall windows again and I connect my laptop to HDMI port. I was able to view everyhing in the extended screen but when I project to the PC screen I don't get anything.

I disabled the Intel HD Graphics 520 driver and by doing so I was able to see the screen back in PC. So it seems it's a driver issue. I tried to uninstall the driver and reinstall it again with the lateset version (Version 21.20.16.4505) but when I enable it the screen goes black again.

Now the display adapter is disabled and I can't change anything in the screen settings or control the brightness. What is the solution?

Appreciate your help and support!

graphys
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,777
Message 2 of 14

Re: Yoga X1: Black Screen after Windows update - Display driver issue

Hi;

Any solution?

Can you fix this issue? I have this issue. 

Regards. 

WollyWolly
Paper Tape
Views: 2,488
Message 3 of 14

Hi, were you able to fix this issue? 

I have it too.

afaruque
What's DOS?
Views: 2,412
Message 4 of 14

The problem is with the driver. I reloaded one of the older drivers. Intel drivers can be found at:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88355/Intel-HD-Graphics-520
The one that works is build 15.40.28.4501. The best thing to do is delete the existing driver in the Control Panel/Device Manager/Display Adapter and reboot. This will install the generic MS driver. Download the driver above and launch the installer. Follow the instructions. It should work after that.
kaktus
Punch Card
Views: 2,378
Message 5 of 14

I noticed this issue too with my new Lenovo X1 Yoga and Windows 10 1607 x64. Immediately when the driver update happens my laptop screen goes black. External monitor works. how it's possible that Lenovo / Intel / MS doesn't fix this. I need to manually remove the graphics driver and only this way I can get my laptop monitor to wake up. This driver is offered to be downloaded from Lenovo site and it seems that Windows Update is also pushing it.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Kjlrsa
Paper Tape
Views: 2,229
Message 6 of 14

Any resolution to this yet. I have a brand new x1 with same issue. I can barely see anything on screen. Works okay in safe mode. 

acbritten
Paper Tape
Views: 2,210
Message 7 of 14

Same problem here with X1 Carbon.  First happened after I got it this summer and I reinstalled Windows.  Tried again today thinking the new driver update may work and it still goes black.  Fortunately I read up on an easy fix to the black screen since system restore won't work.  Start the computer in safe mode and go to device manager and roll back the display adapter driver.  20.19.15.4444 from 4/22/16 is the one that works for me.

This is a fix for the black screen but not for the driver update.  I've had issues with some programs and I am guessing it has to do with my outdated driver.  I'd really like to know how to update the driver without getting this problem.

bjh81782
What's DOS?
Views: 2,142
Message 8 of 14

Same issue here on an X1 Carbon 20FB with Windows 10 64bit.  Had to locate an older driver from the intel site to get the screen to work.

bjh81782
What's DOS?
Views: 2,142
Message 9 of 14

I am having the same issue.  X1 carbon 20FB Windows 10 64 bit lost display after a recent driver update.  Had to locate an older driver from the intel site to get it to work.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,096
Message 10 of 14

There is a known issue that happens if you ever did Windows 10 "Reset", then something in the video driver gets messed up.  There is patch to fix it:  http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-X...

Please follow the steps in the readme about what to do after downloading and running the EXE:

11. Go to C:\DRIVERS\PANEL.
 12. Double-click/Double-tap the file X1CFxLCD.bat.
 13. Follow the instructions on the screen.
 14. Restart the computer after installation.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors