Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darthvuder
Paper Tape
Views: 1,729
Message 1 of 9

Yoga X1 recommendations

Dear all,

I hate my new acer laptop (worst keyboard ever made) and have narrowed my choice to the Lenovo Yoga X1. Your help in choosing options would be appreciated.

I'd like to know if people thought it was worth it in terms of quality (ie scaling issues) and battery life to get the 1440p resolution versus the 1080p (the IPS version, not OLED) of 1440p.

Is it worth it to get the OLED version if it can even be found (I can't even configure this on the web)

I'd like to know if it is worth it to upgrade from the SATA to the NVMe hard drives in real life use

I don't play games but mainly use web, citrix reciever, stock programs like thinkorswim

thanks for your help

Collin

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 1,713
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga X1 recommendations

I have the X1 Yoga with PCI NVMe and 1440p screen. I will answer your questions here as far as I can, but feel free to read my review as well.

The OLED screen supposedly takes away 1-2 hours of battery life. In my opinion it is not really worth it, although people who have been using it say it looks beautiful. I still prefer the battery life of the non-OLED displays. As for the 1440p vs 1080p question, I choose the 1440p because I want the fonts to look really smooth and nice because of the higher resolutions. I work with text a lot (software development), and it is important for me for the text to look good because I stare at it a lot! Smiley Happy

There are some issues with display scaling, but nothing major in my opinion, certainly nothing that would have prevented me from getting the 1440p. There is a small battery hit with the 1440p as well, but I am quite satisfied with the battery life in my X1Y. I cannot quantify this, it is probably around 30 minutes less for the higher resolution display (my guess).

I did debate quite some time if I should get the 1080p or the 1440p version. If you have bad experience with display scaling or want to squeeze a little more battery, go with the 1080p screen. I do know some apps - that I luckily do not use - that really suck with display scaling, and are practically unusable when they are used on high res screens.

As for the NVMe speed thing, this notebook just blows my mind away, it is extremely fast. I can only compare it to my previous notebook (which was a T430 with a SSD drive), and this X1Y feels so much faster. Reacts to anything really quickly, applications start really fast.

If you have any more questoins I am more than happy to tell my opinion about things.

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
indothai
Punch Card
Views: 1,692
Message 3 of 9

I just purchased an X1 Yoga, i7 6600U with 1440p resolution IPS panel.  256GB SATA drive, I upgraded to 512GB.

Mainly use it for web browsing, MS Word, MS Powerpoint, MS, Excel, general productivity.

The reason why I got this spec is because it was the only thing available at the store, otherwise I would have to wait over a month ordering a unit I wanted.  I was also shooting for the 1080p due to scaling concerns, and my concerns were right.

I have my screen scaled at 175% and some apps don't look just right, some pop-ups messages seemed fuzzy or "zoomed" in.  In short, I'm not impressed with the high resolution of the monitor for my intended use.  I can live with it, but if I had a choice it would definetly be 1080p.

I upgraded the SSD drive to 512GB SATA and didn't go NVMe because it was not clear if it supported NVMe.  I definetly would go NVMe 512GB for the speed, to reduce the bootup and shutdown times.  Don't get me wrong, SATA SSD is good, but I think NVMe would be great.

In short, I would recommend 1080p IPS, NVMe largest you can afford (confirm if it will be supported also).

darthvuder
Paper Tape
Views: 1,685
Message 4 of 9

Thank you for your suggestions. My laptop right now(acer) is 1080p and I thought it was already pretty clear although briefly trying the 1440p in the store I didn't see many scaling issues. 

Honestly though looking from laptop to laptop from different manufacturers I found it hard to notice the difference between 1080,1440,or even 4K although I thought it was my unrefined eye. The one exception was the Microsoft surface book which looked great (4K) but maybe that's a factor of how super bright the screen is. 

Can anyone actually "tell the difference" between 1080 and 1440 in terms of clarity with the Lenovo or are higher res screens on laptops a general gimmick 

darthvuder
Paper Tape
Views: 1,680
Message 5 of 9

I've also read from some reviewers in a general sense say sata versus nvme is different in benchmark only, but real world difference is nonexistent. Like going from 3.2ghz processor to 3.3ghz processor. 

Nowadays thr basic models are so good at doing everything one wonders what enhancements manufacturers use just as a way to lure new customers until real technology arrives (prime example Curved tvs versus normal flat tvs)

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 1,659
Message 6 of 9

I have both a YOGA 900 and a X1 Yoga and the X1Y has NVMe while the YOGA 900 does not. There is a minor difference in the CPU (6500U vs 6600U), but I feel both machines are fairly equal. That is to say, I cannot say the difference between them. In certain situations the X1Y feels faster, but I cannot tell if it is the CPU or the SSD type that has a difference. That said, I do software development and that can be quite a heavy operation sometimes. This is why I choose the better options.

In everyday performance - web browsing, Office, watching movies, etc - I do not see any real difference between these options. So unless you know you want to do something special or heavier, you might be happy with the non-NVMe options.

Notebookcheck did some measurements on the X1Y 1440p screen and found it to be exceptionally good. But you are right to assume that the resolution alone will not make a screen great or stand out. Brightness, color range and many other factors will affect that. 

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 1,639
Message 7 of 9

If you wish to use older application software that doesn't have high DPI support, you will likely want to stick with 1080p, otherwise you will get issues with user interface elements being unusably small. I stuck with a normal DPI screen on my last laptop for this reason, but have finally reached the point where I felt the advantages of the 2K (1440p) screen outweighed the drawbacks, especially as some of my workload involves cramming a lot of small text onto screen in situations where I do not have an external second monitor available. My X1 Yoga has the 1440p IPS screen, which I'm very happy with.

I considered holding out for OLED, as there are some applications where the greater gamut and contrast would be useful but chose to stick with IPS. At the time I ordered, OLED wasn't available and though it is now available to order, there are reports of long lead times elsewhere in these forums. I run my laptop for lengthy periods, so was concerned about burn in, also OLED is a very new technology in a laptop. I have had a couple of OLED mobile phones, which have shown burn in after a while. The OLED version of the X1 Yoga is a fair bit more expensive than the IPS version, has a significant battery life penalty, is in short supply at present, and cannot have WiGig or WWAN fitted.  WiGig or WWAN is an either/or option with IPS, as there is only physically room for either a WiGig or WWAN antenna (WWAN antennas are fitted unless the machine is ordered with WiGig), but there is no option to fit either antenna in an OLED machine.

If you're thinking of WiGig, it has a few drawbacks. HDCP is not supported over WiGig, so you cannot display protected video streams. Some USB devices don't work over WiGig for timing related reasons. WiGig is also short range with geometric constraints. I'm glad I ordered WiGig, but my main docking station is a wired OneLink+ Dock because of these limitations.

As others have said, the 'real life' performance improvements of NVMe over SATA are currently marginal in most usage scenarios. However, if you have workloads involving high IOPS, such as some database, virtualisation or software development workloads, NVMe might perform significantly better because the architecture removes some parallelism constraints that exist in SATA. I got a good deal for the 1TB NVMe option, so went for that. Be aware that not all the drives support hardware encryption - if that is important to you, select a drive described as OPAL 2.0. Ultimately, I would expect NVMe to become standard for M.2 format SSDs, with SATA M.2 SSDs disappearing even from mainstream laptops.

darthvuder
Paper Tape
Views: 1,551
Message 8 of 9

Just wanted to update in case this is useful for other people: 

First my original laptop was 5th gen core i5 acer R13 (with the aero hinge), 8gb ram, 128ssd. I hated this laptop as the keyboard was very difficult to type on, thus work was impossible. That being said the screen was good (1080p)

When I was looking at the Yoga x1 I had the questions in the thread below in terms of the screen and hard drive (1080p vs 1440p, SSD vs NVME, OLED vs standard).

I ended up buying the i7 6500U Yoga X1, 8gb ram, 250 gb ssd, 1440p, IPS panel. Final cost was 1300 +100 tax which I thought was the best price I could get straight from lenovo. My thoughts: 

CPU: this I7 blows my old i5 away. People say that theres little difference between i7 and i5 and little difference between 5th and 6th generation but the speed difference is absolutely noticeable. This is not a benchmark difference. Way more productive doing work

SCREEN: I chose the 1440p because I went to microsoft store and saw two HP laptops side by side 1080P versus 1440p. On 1440p the text is noticeably smoother. I have not regretted this purchase. There has been absolutely no scaling problems that I've seen. I've used the office series, tdameritrade, quicken,teamviewer, explorer, google, etc. No scaling problems which was what I feared. Text is way smoother side by side compared to my 1080p laptop and thus much easier on the eyes, even scaled up .There is no noticeable pixelation whereas on 1080p 13" screen it was noticeable. The only downside is that the lenovo screen in general (resolution aside) is less nice to look at. The non glare screen gives it a milky texture that overall makes it worse than the highly reflective acer screen. Functionally to do work during the day it helps a bit. I don't know how the OLED would be but the 1440p IPS battery life is borderline so I suspect if you take 2 hours of usable battery life for the OLED it would not be useful as a portable solution. Also the hinge is kinda wiggly/weak. The acer r13 has this very stiff hinge so the screen never moves. The Yoga x1 screen bounces a lot. Thats a minor minus.

HARD DRIVE: I did not get the NVME hard drive, I figured I could always switch it out later when prices went down. That being said its already super fast. I can't imagine shaving a few milliseconds would be noticeable but I've never compared. There is no lag opening any apps

BATTERY LIFE: borderline, may get you through 3/4 day continuous web browsing and charge takes about an hour. I was hoping for better battery life and I still need to charge near the end of the day. I dont' think it was as good as my acer when I first had the acer (when batttery was fresh)

TRACKPAD/POINT: the trackpoint is the best thing ever made. This is worth getting this laptop over any other laptop, dell xps, HP spectre, etc if you really want productivity. Yes people use a mouse for serious work but sometimes the trackpoint allows you to sit on the couch and be productive as the trackpad is hard to use in this position. For some reason the trackpad is not as smooth as my old one. Movement is quite jerky but it may be a software issue I haven't set up. Honestly with the trackpoint I felt I reduced the trackpad use by more than 90% with increase in productivity. 

KEYBOARD: 1 million times better than acer. Actually the size of the keyboard took some getting used to. it was too big compared the other teeny tiny laptop keyboards, acer r13 included, and you had to get used to touch typing on a larger almost regular keyboard.. The dell xps keyboard was really tiny. 

TOUCHSCREEN: versus the carbon x1 I think it was maybe 100 dollars more. Worth it in my opinion as it allows for some input like scrolling documents directly on the screen. 

DURABILITY: smudges easily, looks dirty all the time with the smudges but no permanent marks or anything and easy to wipe away. Haven't spilled anything on it yet. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,524
Message 9 of 9

I am not an expert on the machine and I never really used one, but I saw a demo of the OLED screen at the Lenovo Tech Expo.  It reminded me of the time I first saw a screen with an LED backlight after always using CCFL backlights.  I am not a photographer and when running business applications, it probably doesn't matter, BUT when I saw the LED backlight, my reaction was "It simply looks better".  When I saw the OLED screen after using a "normal" LED backlight for years, my reaction was the same.  The OLED screen really looked better to me.  Whether it is worth the extra cost and hit to battery life is up to you.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors