10-01-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

146 Page Views

• Views: 146
  • Message 11 of 70

Re: Yoga X1 touch screen not working after latest firmware update

2018-10-26, 19:33 PM

Any new from Lenovo to get touch screen back recognised and showing up in the device manager?

I did so many different downgrade and reinstall of firmware and any combination of drivers -> nothing shows for the touchscreen.

Wacom driver says - no touch detected....

Did Lenovo fix your machine?

"Goferdammi Lenovo alles kaputt mache u de noed reagiere...critical firmware update - jo secher! " Hahaha

Options

48 Posts

05-10-2014

Switzerland

659 Signins

2372 Page Views

• Views: 2372
  • Message 12 of 70

2018-10-26, 19:50 PM
In fact they did. Just received a machine back one couple of days ago and was going to post an update. So, long story short, the screen was replaced so it was definitely a hardware issue. New screen works fine and have no problem. What was not thrilling is that they completely erased the drive, so had to start with vanilla windows. It was not fun. Another interesting thing is that I got again the offer to update the firmware touch, and it does work fine after the update, no problem. In device manager, under HID I do see the wacom now. Maybe just a coincidence and not sure if it is relevant: Lenovo Vantage recognizes the machine as X1 carbon 4th generation, not as X1 Yoga 1st generation. Nonetheless, firmware update against the new screen worked just fine.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

76 Posts

11-24-2007

Denver, CO

679 Signins

2671 Page Views

• Views: 2671
  • Message 13 of 70

2018-10-27, 13:41 PM

wrote:
In fact they did. Just received a machine back one couple of days ago and was going to post an update. So, long story short, the screen was replaced so it was definitely a hardware issue. New screen works fine and have no problem. What was not thrilling is that they completely erased the drive, so had to start with vanilla windows. It was not fun. Another interesting thing is that I got again the offer to update the firmware touch, and it does work fine after the update, no problem. In device manager, under HID I do see the wacom now. Maybe just a coincidence and not sure if it is relevant: Lenovo Vantage recognizes the machine as X1 carbon 4th generation, not as X1 Yoga 1st generation. Nonetheless, firmware update against the new screen worked just fine.

You might check the specs in "Windows System Information" to verify that the hardware is the same as your original X1 Yoga. It is possible they replaced your motherboard with a newer model. Alternatively, they may have replaced your entire laptop (which could account for the erased hard drive). You could also check the sticker that the Machine Type and Serial Number is the same as your original laptop.

It is interesting that the firmware update worked fine this time. Can you tell if it is the same version of firmware update that damaged your original X1 Yoga?

Options

48 Posts

05-10-2014

Switzerland

659 Signins

2372 Page Views

• Message 14 of 70

2018-10-27, 16:37 PM
The computer is definitely not replaced as it I can recognize old traces of wear around the keyboard, pen, etc... labels including with serial no are also hard to read any longer not been replaced. the serial no however in vantage and system info is the same as the old one. the screen has however definitely been changed as the old one had several dead pixels that started to develop.

as for the update, yes, it seems to be the same V4.20.5.04/100.3

What is puzzling is that in Lenovo Vantage and system information it shows that the machine is X1 Carbon 4th Gen and not X1 Yoga 1st Gen.
Options

76 Posts

11-24-2007

Denver, CO

679 Signins

2671 Page Views

• Views: 2671
  • Message 15 of 70

2018-10-27, 17:21 PM

The factory or repair shop can apply the serial number from your original motherboard to a new one with software. This is done to maintain the original warranty. So you really cannot tell by the serial number alone whether you have the original motherboard or not.

Options

48 Posts

05-10-2014

Switzerland

659 Signins

2372 Page Views

• Message 16 of 70

2018-10-27, 17:25 PM
ok that makes sense. so the only thing that i am sure that was replaced is the touch screen. for the rest am pretty sure it is the old computer.
Options

2 Posts

10-27-2018

Denmark

6 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 17 of 70

2018-10-27, 22:49 PM

This happened to me too. So, is it possible to downgrade to v4.19 of the driver? I can't seem to find that version in the download section. Or do we have to send these machines back? I mean they all still have a warranty.

EDIT: I just tried to downgrade to BIOS v.1.37 from the v1.38, i had installed. Unfortunately this didn't help.

Also. If i go to Windows->System, under pen&touch it says that this screen does not support input from pen and touch.

Just to make it clear. It did support pen&touch before, but I guess all Yoga X1 gen 1 did.

Furthermore. Before I could run a live-ubuntu session and it would support touch screen input. Now it doesn't anymore. So either there's some flaw in the BIOS or it's a hardware problem (possible caused by the updates around BIOS v1.38 or Touch driver v4.20, though the latter seem implausable.

Options

8 Posts

11-01-2018

Bulgaria

6 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 18 of 70

2018-11-14, 11:17 AM

I have the exact same problem. Reading your stories I'm starting to think this is indeed a hardware issue. I find it hard to believe that a firmware update can break the hardware but one thing is sure. The newest firmware cannot work with the old hardware for some reason. I believe we all have to send our laptops for touch screen (or motherboard?) replacement. It seems that is the solution Lenovo have in store.

I'm contacting service today or tomorrow and will post back more info when I get it.

Options

8 Posts

11-01-2018

Bulgaria

6 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 19 of 70

2018-11-20, 19:28 PM
Just got the laptop from servicing. They replaced the touch screen, marked it as defective.
Options

2 Posts

10-27-2018

Denmark

6 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 20 of 70

2018-11-20, 19:46 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences @panayotov and @mikimedic. I guess I'll ship mine for repair then.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms