Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikimedic
Serial Port
Views: 4,347
Message 1 of 43

Yoga X1 touch screen not working after latest firmware update

After installing the latest firmware update (V.4.20/5.04/100.3) touch screen is dead. I looked at the device manager and no indication of error anywhere. Can't find device that would require an update - nothing like 'other device', nor under Human Interface Devices. 

Noted that during the update it reported several times 'pen not found'. 

How to enable touch screen again that worked perfectly fine until this update was installed?

bytemaster1
Punch Card
Views: 4,301
Message 2 of 43

Re: Yoga X1 touch screen not working after latest firmware update

What generation do you have? There's a number of touchscreen firmwares that were required for the X1Y1. X1Y3 also has a digitizer driver update.
mikimedic
Serial Port
Views: 4,281
Message 3 of 43

First generation - product no is 20FQ003MUS; the a/m firmware came through the Lenovo Vantage update; I have seen some other solutions referring to updating drivers for 'unrecognized device' in the device manager however in the device manager I can't find anything that should be wrong - and can't identify touchscreen controller either.
GomJabbar
Punch Card
Views: 4,253
Message 4 of 43

You might try installing the firmware update again manually and hope for the best. An alternative would be to try and install an older version of the firmware and see if that works.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

FTR, I do not have a Yoga X1. But do note the following in the readme file for that firmware update:

Attention:
  Do not turn off or suspend the computer until the update has been completed.
  IF YOU DO THAT WHILE THE UPDATE IS STILL IN PROGRESS, THE TOUOCH SCREEN OR
  SYSTEM BOARD MAY HAVE TO BE REPLACED.

It is entirely possible you will need to send your Yoga in to Lenovo for repair.

See also: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Thinkpad-Yoga-X1-touchscreen-not-workin...

Here is reportedly an older version of the firmware to try if you run out of options. https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/KEYBOARD-and-MOUSE/Lenovo/Lenovo-X1-Yoga-1st-Gen-Touch-Firmware-4-...

mikimedic
Serial Port
Views: 4,246
Message 5 of 43

Thanks, tried both and doesn't work. After reinstalling manually the current driver get the message 'target device not found'; going back to previous version also didn't work (didn't see any result - just appears it is installed and no action. am opening the ticket with support and will let you know of the outcome. 

Yogax1carbon62
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,215
Message 6 of 43

Had the same with my 20FQ000QUS. Lenovo tool pushed a firmware update as critical.  So I did. No more touchscreen after that.

I did roll back the BIOS firmware, I reinstalled Windows 8.1 Pro over existing, did all the driver updates and Touch Firmware update, still not able to detect the touch screen under HID. It's like the BIOS upgrade "Disconnected" the Multi Touch from the system. Not ot be found anymore. They messed up big time, that's how I feel. The fact that device manager cannot even list the touch screen as device and then no driver update does anything, show that it must be something deeper in the system/BIOS. Please let us know if you find an answer. Many seem to have same problem.... thanks 

bytemaster1
Punch Card
Views: 4,202
Message 7 of 43

I wonder if the firmware update itself failed during the write. That would cause it not to be detected as a valid device by the computer. If the digitizer can't start, it won't be usable by the machine itself. Lenovo may have an in-house recovery firmware that can somehow be flashed in this case, but I doubt it'd be released to the public due to security and/or reliability concerns. Best thing to do is open a repair ticket if you can. Even if it's out of warranty, I'd bet that they might fix it for you considering that the firmware update is what broke it in the first place. Seems reasonable.
mikimedic
Serial Port
Views: 4,184
Message 8 of 43

Thanks for all your replies - seems I am not alone. I just remembered that a couple of days before firmware update, I noticed that an update was pushed for WriteIt software - I see it go though and all was fine. I rarely use it, and didn't touch the pen in the interim, until firmware was pushed through and now it all stopped working. 

I have opened the repair ticket, ironically https://www.managedtechnicalsupportaccess.com/mtsarva/lenovo.html seems dead for the last two days and still no action. 

Will keep you posted. thanks. 

GeorgH93
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,125
Message 9 of 43

I am having the same problem. Reinstalled Windows yesterday and used the Lenovo System Update tool to install the drivers. It also installed an BIOS update, Intel Management Engine Firmware update and the Touch Firmware update and now my touch screen is no longer working (it's also not showing up in the device manager).

mikimedic
Serial Port
Views: 4,115
Message 10 of 43

Ok, I got a call from support, and they are asking for a machine to be sent to them. Will do so, and will report on the outcome. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors