Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daFlox
Paper Tape
Views: 82
Message 1 of 2

Yoga X380 - external webcam not working correctly when plugged into USB-C dock

Hi there,

I got a new Yoga X380 that is connected to the USB-C dock.

The dock has (besides monitors, ethernet and some USB stuff) a Microsoft LifeCam connected via USB that I used already on my old device for some years now.

And here the trouble begins:

When I connect the webcam to the dock, I get a flickering picture from the webcam so I cannot use it for video conferencing at all.

When I connect the webcam to the X380 directly, it works fine, but this is quite impractical because I have to plug in/out two cables every time I leave/come back to my working place.

Similar issues with a Microsoft StudioCam that I tested, too.

Any ideas what I could do?

Thanks a lot and best regards!

daFlox
Paper Tape
Views: 39
Message 2 of 2

Re: Yoga X380 - external webcam not working correctly when plugged into USB-C dock

An update after trying this and that:

First I tried a veeeery old Hercules Silver Classic with a low res sensor. This one gave a stable picture, but the video was stuttering.

When I plug it directly into the X380, the stuttering is gone.

So I thought about a connection issue between X380 and USB-C dock.

But it must be something different because finally I found a workaround:

Whenever I have my webcam running and the picture is flickering/distorted, it get's better when I start a program and the laptop is doing something.

So I thought about putting load on the laptop constantly and downloaded Prime95.

And voila, the camera works flawlessly as long as the stress test is running.

Stopping Prime immediately brings the distortions back, restart Prime and everythings fine, again.

I already fiddled around with energy management settings (put laptop and GPU on max performance settings), but only running Prime95 currently helps.

Any other ideas?

Thanks and best regards!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors