Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phiil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,865
Message 1 of 180

Yoga x1 3rd gen keyboard backlight flickering

Hello there,

i just received my new yoga x1 3rd gen. But I have a problem with my keyboard backlight. If i turn it on it starts to flicker like crazy. Does anybody have the same problem?

I also tried to open a ticket on https://www.managedtechnicalsupportaccess.com/configs, but there is no button to execute the ticket, just delete and search.

Thanks for helping!

lenovouser666
Paper Tape
Views: 3,805
Message 2 of 180

Re: Yoga x1 3rd gen keyboard backlight flickering

Same problem on my X1Y3, but only started appearing after I updated my BIOS. Did you update yours as well?

EDIT: Strobing stops when under load/fans come on.

Phiil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,778
Message 3 of 180

Yes I updated my bios right away. I will keep an eye on the fans.

I was finally able to post a ticket on the service page.

lenovouser666
Paper Tape
Views: 3,744
Message 4 of 180

Let us know if you figure out more!

EDIT:The newest bios released today does not fix the issue.

Syntron
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,723
Message 5 of 180

Hello, same here. My backlight of a brand new yoga x1 3rd gen. is also flickering like hell. I`ve installed Bios 1.07, 1.09 and since today 1.10, there is no diference.

I tried to activate/deactivate automatic light in lenovo vantage, nothing happend, still flickering.

What do you think, is this a hardware or a software problem?

Greetings

Phiil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,719
Message 6 of 180

I hope its becuase of the BIOS update and therefore a Software problem. I really dont want to send the pc in and wait 2 weeks to get a fix.

drcnyc
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,692
Message 7 of 180

I'm actually experiencing this issue with the main screen backlight (I wonder if it's related?)  I don't use the keyboard backlight but will try that out also.  When I have the brightness on the main screen at anything less than 100%, there is visible flickering.  It's almost totally unberable at low brightness levels.  I really hope this isn't a hardware issue as well.

Syntron
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,687
Message 8 of 180

Hello, my X1Y3 has the HDR Dolby Vision Screen, there is no screen backlight flickering when the keyboard backlight is flickering. A German Review Website said that there ist no PWM using to reduce the brightness of the HDR screen, cause if the PWM Ratio is too low some people can see a flickering. So if you own a HDR Screen it schould be unusual to see a flickering.

lenovouser666
Paper Tape
Views: 3,684
Message 9 of 180

Same here, 0 flickering on the (HDR) screen, but the keyboard is at epilepsy-inducing levels! I hope it is BIOS related, the problem started immediately after the BIOS update and backlight was fine until that for around two weeks. Also, did you guys notice that the fingerprint sensor is very unreliable? It never recognises my fingerprint on the first try and more often than not it fails to recognise it even once during the 5 or so attempts Windows gives you, leading to the passwort prompt for ~1/2 of login attempts.

zaclab
Punch Card
Views: 3,633
Message 10 of 180

I just updated the BIOS and keyboard flickering started! 

Also while I am typing this I got some kind of beep coming from the computer (2 times), not very loud but muted. 

I bought it at ok1.de and got shipped to Spain, and still under 14 days return period (2 more days). 

But I dont want to return it if this can be fixed. 

What to do? 

Anyone talked to Lenovo support?

Thanks.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors